Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Arts & Crafts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2006, 06:22 AM   #1
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Laundry Shute Basket Liner ?

Okay, the laundry shute idea is neat and it works to keep our dirty clothes out of sight & out of the way INSIDE the Monty. But last time someone was over & we were showing off the "Monty RV 5th Wheel", when we opened up the "basement" door from the outside, -- wah lah ! there was our dirty clothes -[:O]- socks, underwear, etc.. hanging out through the holes!! We laughed alot, but it really wasn't that funny (maybe by TBS standards). ANYWAY - TO THE POINT - I was thinking that it would be real easy to sew a "liner" for the basket out of some really cool looking material that would be nicer to look at than our waded up clothes. Maybe some elastic around the top? The pattern would be easy enough to measure up. (I'm glad my mom taught me how to sew when I was young). Has anyone done this yet? If not, lets get together & see what ideas we can come up with. Anyone with me on this??

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Lisa,

I'm thinking you'd be able to sell a few of these too!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Put us down for one!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Now you got me going on this... What if it had a drawstring at the top - when it was time to do the laundry, instead of taking the whole basket out and hitting your knuckles on the hall door on the way down the stairs (ask me how I know) you could just lift out the "bag" , drawstring it closed and carry it out or just dump it out if you have W/D inside. This is getting fun! There could be 2 different materials for the inside & the outside... maybe applique something on to it to personalize it...or...or...or...
Old 04-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
We use the collapsible mesh type.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Lisa
I've had the same idea but just haven't gotten around to being serious about it. I'm like you, don't like my dirty underwear showing from the basement. Especially because we still haven't vented our W/D and just leave the basement door open and the vent is hanging into the basement. I was just going to cover the basket as we rarely take the basket out.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
You guys are having a lot of fun with this and I think it is a neat idea. But playing the devils advocate here would a kitchen size or 30 gallion trash bag fit in the wire basket? Just a thought but you wouldn't have the fun of making it. But stay with the draw string idea also as some of us do not have Washers and Dryers so you could just pick it up and head for the laundry.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Yes, the trash bag would work to hide the contents, but it wouldn't hold up to in & out & to the laundry & back. The mesh type bag would also work, thought about that myself when the idea went so far, I was like why don't I just go BUY a duffle bag or something at Wal-Mart!! BUT.... that's no fun!! I like to make things like this that are unique to anyone else's. You know, "the same but different"? LOL But I am the worst procrastinator I know, so it might be a little while before the 1st one gets made. You can be sure that y'all are helping with the whole design! Thanks! I can't wait until I do the curtains for the Monty. I have one more set to do at the "brick" house first.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Phil, you are just no fun. LOL. The black trash bag would be just about as ugly as the dirty clothes. And it would tear.
Happy trails..........................
Old 04-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Let see - trash bag rip open, dirty underware all over campsite. Nope, bad idea on the trash bags - keep the laundry bag idea going.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We took out the metal basket (which was nearly impossible to get out without skinning your nuckles and was heavy) and replaced with 2 mesh collapsible baskets (so you can sort). They are about $2 at Walmart. They are beginning to tear out in the bottom but have certainly been easier to deal with than that basket.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:16 AM   #12
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Betty got rid of the wire metal basket and sits a large plastic clothes basket on floor of the basement under the laundry chute door. The plastic basket combined with a folding mesh bag handles the trip to the Laundromat. Extraction of the basket is done through the door side basement door.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:45 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We're going to take the metal basket out, too. It takes up too much room in the basement. I've challenged Glen to build a shallow box that would replace the basket and give us storage for extra T-paper or paper towels.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:36 AM   #14
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imp

We took out the metal basket (which was nearly impossible to get out without skinning your nuckles and was heavy) and replaced with 2 mesh collapsible baskets (so you can sort). They are about $2 at Walmart. They are beginning to tear out in the bottom but have certainly been easier to deal with than that basket.
Myrna
Wait a minute, lets don't get into this sort thing. You have no idea how many family arguments the DW and I have had over the "Sort Thing." To me, it is either white or black - no in between stuff, none of this deliquate wash in different temp. Hey, you dump it in the washer, insert more quarters than you have in your pocket, change machine broken, beg for more quarters from strangers walking by, dump in a half box of soap and enjoy life.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:45 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Phil, you're trying to take an innocent topic and stir up trouble here! I hope your DW does the laundry.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:07 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Phil
You need a washer/dryer in your Monty. Then you don't need quarters and you will save a lot on soap because you only use a couple of tablespoons in the combo instead of half a box! LOL Seriously we changed our livestyle a little the first vacation we took years ago in our first 5er. We had not used laundermats for a long time and found we had too many loads sorted to be reasonable for the laundermat. We changed to colored underwear instead of white. I gave up my nylon nightgowns for ones made of T-Shirt material and Ed switched to grey socks instead of white (he thought he had a allergy to colored socks but we found out it was the material not the color so as long as they are all cotton he is okay). Then we could have two loads, Jeans in one and everything else in the other. Now that we have a washer/dryer in the Monty, we don't need to worry so much as we can do those delicate things if we want.
Happy trails.........................
Old 04-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #17
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This is just one small "improvement" that we are glad we do not have. Our 2002 model came with a plastic mesh basket which works just fine.

Must add that there are several much bigger "improvements" that we are even more glad that we do not have such as the plastic curtain between the bedroom and bath area instead of the nice wooden sliding doors that we value so highly. And we have the really nice outdoor shower without the 'blue hose' which I have only read about.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We line the laundry basket with a mesh laundry bag I bought at target then when it is time to go home just pull it closed and it is ready to travel.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:50 AM   #19
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
kdeiss, Sounds like the mesh bag is used alot. I'll probably get one to tide me over until I actually make my own. I was thinking about it again last night, and I'm leaning towards ... Hmmm how about putting it together like a quilt? It would be a way to use up scrap material and would look really sharp! (IMO).
Old 05-10-2006, 04:23 AM   #20
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We took that laundry bin out. We needed the space under the unit. I'm ok with a laundry bag in the closet.
We put shelves in the space where a washer/dryer would go. I need storage. I stock up on paper towel, toilet paper, alum. foil. This is ideal for that. Oh yea, kitty litter too.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote