Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Northeast Region
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
suggested Route to campground

Just wondering if someone can give us suggested route to the campground for the Rally. We will be coming from Standardsville/ruckersville, VA.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Paul - I just checked the route via mapquest to Lancaster from Ruckersville, VA. I takes you up around Washington and Baltimore. Personally, I wouldn't like that route. I would head to Interstate 81 and then north. I think there would be far less traffic that way.

There will probably be someone along shortly to advise you better than I could.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Paul....agree with John. To get a better route put Ruckersville, VA to Chambersburg, PA to Lancaster, PA. It will rout you up 81 and avoid the Beltway around Washington.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Once you get the Harrisburg, Pa it will be better for you to take I83 South towards the airport. After the Derry Street exit you will pick up I283 again towards the airport. This road takes you to the Turnpike, but you will take what looks like the last exit before you get on the turnpike, but is actually the road you are on (I283). Again you are going towards the airport. Stay on I283 until you get to Lancaster and you will be routed onto Route 30. Make sure you go route 30 east. Route 30 ends as a limited access road when you get into the outlet area. You will only need to go about 1/2 mile until you see Dutch Wonderland on the left. The entrance to Old Mill Stream is a left turn at the end of Dutch Wonderland Parking Lot. You will not see the campground from the road but look for the sign.
Hope this helps.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Thanks for the info, guys. We'll branch off I95 at Richmond and follow the route that you laid out. Thanks, Kieth, for the specifics in Harrisburg. See you all there.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Terry & I have decided to go interstate 81 from Florida to Shenandoah and drop the Monty and go sight seeing a long the skyline drive. According to AAA book that is the most scenic drive in all of the North East U.S.. We will go north and arrive in Gettysburg, PA. for more sightseeing then on to Lancaster. PA. Glad to hear that interstate 81 is what you suggested. Does any one have suguesstions on what to see a long that route?
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpkelpe

Just wondering if someone can give us suggested route to the campground for the Rally. We will be coming from Standardsville/ruckersville, VA.
My maping program said around DC and Baltimore beltway up 83 to 30 in York to Lancaster. It was 229 miles in 3'44".

I then put my desired route in via Gettysburg and it was 209 miles and 3'47".
I suggest 29 north to Rt 15 north to route 30 east in Gettysburg.
Some 2 lane road but nice seance drive.
I agree stay away from DC and Baltimore loops.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I wouldn't drive route 30 east from Gettysburg even though it is less miles. At sections it is highly developed with 35 mph speed limits and a tón of traffic lights. Route 30 is the Lincoln Highway that has been around since Lincoln was president. Although if you have the time you can see every fast food restaurant, every make of car dealer, every hotel chain, and everything between when you pass through the York area.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TerryClaudia

Terry & I have decided to go interstate 81 from Florida to Shenandoah and drop the Monty and go sight seeing a long the skyline drive. According to AAA book that is the most scenic drive in all of the North East U.S.. We will go north and arrive in Gettysburg, PA. for more sightseeing then on to Lancaster. PA. Glad to hear that interstate 81 is what you suggested. Does any one have suguesstions on what to see a long that route?
Gettysburg is loaded with tourist attractions connected with the civil war battlefield. The visitors center is new and contains exhibits, a movie, and the cyclorama painting. All worth seeing. We live 50 miles away and go 1 or 2 times Year for the last 35 years and still find new things.
From Gettysburg you can take route 15 north to the Harrisburg area. There is a short connector route/beltway 581 at Camp Hill that will take you to Route 83 north eventually crossing the Susquehanna River into Harrisburg. Route 283 is the exit after the Harrisburg Mall on the right (about 2 miles after you cross the river bridge). Follow the signs toward the airport. My previous post details the directions once you get on 283.
If you have time, Hershey, Pa is along this route and you probably know what is there.
There is lots to see and do in Lancaster, Pa. Don't miss the Strasburg Railroad, Amish Farmhouse aside of Target, and the Mfg outlets. Good n Plenty and Miller's Smorgasbord are good places to eat.

We have a recurring reservation at Old Mill Stream every Memorial Day, so we will be there the week before. If you don't keep the reservation you lose your spot.

I know every one at this rally will have a great time.