Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC / Great Lakes Region
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
NO FIRES AT RALLY!!!!!

I just got off the phone with the Michigan department of Ag and got a blessing from them to bring our kiln dried lumber to Michigan. They had absolutely no problem, but then she said to call the cg to see their "policy".
I called Donna at Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping and the owners sain absolutely NO!!!!!
I then asked their price and it is only $4.25 for a little bundle of wood. I then asked if I could purchase wood from a local and again, absolutely no!
If anyone has one of those Coleman portable gas firepits and would bring it along, I will make sure we have propane for it. I didn't ask if we were allowed to bring one, but there is not a ban on them.
I really missed the fires while wintering in Florida, but who would have thunk I'd not have a social fire in the summer in Michigan.

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sounds like a greedy campground thingy to me.

BUMMER

I will keep all further opinions on this matter here in the office.

Ya gave it the ole college try Steve, thanks!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I read that as you can have the fire as long as you burn their wood? Me thinks I would buy a bundle or two of their wood, and add a few sticks of my wood every now and then.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

I read that as you can have the fire as long as you burn their wood? Me thinks I would buy a bundle or two of their wood, and add a few sticks of my wood every now and then.
Thats a great idea SlickWillie, one log at a time, they probably have a fire wood concession and are getting greedy, too bad.
I guess that all those questions should be asked before reservations are made for the next rally, huh.
I do like the idea of the Coleman propane fire pit not much heat but the astectics make it right, but roasting the marshmallows could get messy for the some-mores.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Believe if you read some of the other posts on this Rally, Glenn and others have been saying that all firewood brought INTO this campground is traded off for their own.

They don't want you bringing in firewood in any form, if I have understood all the posts made on the subject.

Again, I will keep MOST of my thoughts on this here in my office.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We were up there in 2004 and I don’t remember that you had to buy only their firewood. However, they did pass out tiny pans for you to have a fire in if you didn’t have your own fire pit type of burner. We thought it was quite ridiculous to say the least. I hope you all have a great time!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Here in Minnesota you cannot bring firewood to any campground...period.
The State started the practice in the State Parks because of bugs in the wood being transported to different locations, so they put a stop to it.
I don't believe it to be a greed issue at all. Now $4.25 for a bundle IS a greed issue - unless it's huge.
Everything is going up except my wages...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Here in Wisconsin you can not bring wood into the campgrounds either from a different area. The problem in the Ash Borer Beetles and other bugs that are causing a huge problems all over and killing a lot of native trees. They say it is mostly being transport by moving firewood all around. They charge $5.00 a bundle here in the county campgrounds for their firewood. I think it's a small price to pay to try and keep the bug infestations down and keep our trees and forests healthy.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Carol, they will not trade any firewood, they will not allow any brought into the cg at all. You have to purchase their little bundles.
I will refrain from expressing my true feelings about the firewood, but remember, the Michigan Dept of Ag had no problem with the lumber I was wanting to bring.
I guess I could bring some extra electric lights to lay on the ground to imitate a fire.
Guess this will be the last time I visit their cg, will look for another one while there!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When we were there last year they did trade stick for stick. I guess they changed that policy. Bill is correct, they do pass out these fire pans. They are about the size of a large pizza pan with about 4" sides. You have to get the pan at the office. I don't do fires but if I remember right their bundles weren't all that big but like slick said you could always add to their bundle. Last year they did ask if we were bringing any wood in. I said no and they left it at that and never checked my truck and they don't check it when you return from an outing either.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The ash borers have been a problem here, we have been under a quarantine for quite a few years. We have discussed this before. Many of the state campgrounds have signs up (well, had signs up, since we have been basically grounded since December 08, I have not been in any state campgrounds in Michigan in a while), the signs said, if you bring it in, BURN IT HERE.

So, they have had the rules about not moving fire wood for several years, the ash borer was only down here in the southern counties of Michigan, we were the first to be quarantined. I obeyed the rules, many did not, next I heard, the Ludington area, the trees were decimated. Then they took all your firewood as you went cross the Mackinaw Bridge, I'll just bet that did not stop it either.

I remember a few discussions here at the MOC when I was pretty much chastised, cause I reported the quarantine. Few wanted to believe or accept that the state really did not want us moving this wood around. Heavens, they would not let us move living trees for nursery stock either.

I don't mind the quarantine, means I don't have to load up all that wood and cart it around, being basically lazy, it works for me.

What I mind is attitudes like being reported here, NO wood, not even wood approved by the state.

BLAHHH

KKKKK, I'll go away now.

We are the MOC, we will find a method around this, we will HAVE fun and not let the powers that be take us down, RIGHT!!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

Here in Minnesota you cannot bring firewood to any campground...period.
The State started the practice in the State Parks because of bugs in the wood being transported to different locations, so they put a stop to it.
I don't believe it to be a greed issue at all. Now $4.25 for a bundle IS a greed issue - unless it's huge.
Everything is going up except my wages...
most of that fire wood comes from downed trees from there forist that was infected with a bark bettle of something else, we have those lumber yards all over the Nat Forist in the L.A. area. they cut it to length and split it then sell it to Home Depot, Lowes, and Ralphs. It's all about the MONEY.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess the prices are high because it's about $2.00 for the wood and $3.00 to inspect the wood that it is not carrying insects. Somebody has to pay for the dude with the stamp.

I always wondered who would buy the fire pits with the fake logs and propane. Now I know.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
The cynic that I am I am beginning to think the wild ass boar is bs.

I will donate one evening of a fire at our rally while at Mackinaw!

Do I hear a yea? so it cost me 30-40 bucks to have a great time with ya'll. One evening of Mackinaw firewood on me! Steve, you pick the night.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:13 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis,

YOU THE MAN!

That is just what I was talking about, cannot keep the MOC down~
Old 06-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #16
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I've started the new topic for the fires and hope everyone else will follow it now.
Thank you Dennis for offering the evenings fire. Hopefully we will not need for one person to cover that much! I'm sorry I had the negative attitude when I posted this topic, but in my defense, I had just got off the phone with the cg.
Anyway!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Emmel I was looking for this item as i am at millcreek now on the way to wis...there fire wood is green so it dosent burn very good so i added some of my 1x3 oak i always carry
if evertone put a dozen sticks of dry hardwood in the basement of there rig we will be fine..

WHEN THEY ASK IF YOU HAVE ANY FIREWOOD THE ANSWER IS NO,,NO ,NO
SAILER
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote