Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Anyone skirted their Monty - all the way around

We would like to skirt our 3400 and not go bankrupt doing it.
Contacted the guy in Colorado and it is $2000 if he does custom skirt and comes to you to put it on.
If you go the do-it-yourself road it is $8.00 a foot (any width).
With 90 feet needed (we already have a fifth wheel skirt) that is still more than we really want to spend.

Any ideas??
We are thinking about plywood or a heavy tarp like material.
Just need some input.

Thank you, Laura & Joe

Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I, too, have been thinking of skirting the Monty. My main concern would be under the bedroom, around the pin box area to provide a bit of out-of-sight storage especially when we are staying awhile. Spending a lot of money isn't my desire either. I do want it to not detract for the aesthetics of the unit. Or said another way, I want it to be cheap without looking cheap.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Stiles,
You said it better than I did.
We want cheap without looking cheap.

Hope some one can help us both out.

Laura
Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We too have contacted the fella in Colorado and gotten our quotes. There is a local company here in Anchorage that we are going to contact in the morning. I'll let you know if they can help us out and if they can, I'll give you there contact info.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
What do you do with the skirting when you pull up stakes?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Pull it up and show your legs.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
After you look at your legs, it rolls up and can be stored in bags. I "think"? I will have room in the basement for mine. It will be somewhat bulky, but for winter camping, I am willing to find storage for it.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
If it's wood we will leave it here with Joe's brother.
Otherwise can make room for it.

We plan on being here in Arizona for the winter and into spring somewhat so it will be needed.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We went to the local place in Anchorage I mentioned and they are able to make skirts. We are getting our quote and should know tomorrow. I told them that several of us were looking at this and they told me they would gladly speak to you about your skirting needs. The information is: Alaska Tent & Tarp, 100 E. International Airport Rd., Anchorage, AK. Phone: (907)562-2293. Their website is www.alaskatent.com. The gentleman helping us is Luke Walker. Very nice and helpful. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Well after much deliberation we have decided to do a skirt out of some fabric from this company http://www.rochfordsupply.com/index.asp
We have ordered the swivel snaps or turnclips (whatever you want to call them), the tool to help put them on and the fabric from them.
Found they had some fabric called storm shield on sale/clearance (used to make raincoats etc.) for only $1.95 a yard for 50 plus yards which ended up being less than buying the 34 yards we needed. I will make other things out of the extra.
We have ordered gray - the only choices were "yellow, gray and black".
Will place some pictures here when we get the stuff and get it up on the Monty.
Our other thought was house wrap from Lowe's or Home Depot, but got to thinking that it would be noisy in the wind and the logo would show even with it inside out.
Will let you know, Laura
Old 01-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Rocky2,
Did you ever get your Monty skirted or order the material. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but was not sure if I could sew the material with a regular machine or if it even needed sewing around the edge.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #12
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Well, I finally got the skirt made - it is not perfect but it will work.
The fabric was fairly easy to sew, used a size 18 needle. Only problem was that it likes to slide around when you have such big pieces.
If anyone wants photos let me know.
There is a learning curve to doing this and I did better as I went around the Monty.
We are to have a good wind today so will see how well it holds up to it.
The slideouts have velcro on them (the soft side is on the trailer).
Joe's brother has a bunch of old plumbing pipe which is what we are going to put in the pockets I made on the bottom of the skirt.

I made the skirt in sections.

Laura
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We would love to see the photos. Glad you have it made and now the chore is DONE.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 AM   #14
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
We had the guy from Colorado,Curt Miller, build our skirting and have used it to winter in Steamboat Springs, Co. Sure did the job and the quality and fit is top notch! We drove to Loveland and he built it there, 2 days and done.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Rocky2 and everyone.

Just for your informatiion, I own a very small mobile home park, just outside of Topeka, Kansas. You can skirt a 16' by 80' mobile home for approximately $450.00. Some of these company's your approaching put this in a specialized catogory and if you can skirt a mobile home for that MATERIAL price, you can surely skirt the Montana.
If you go to a mobile home sales lot, just ask them for a skirting package for a smaller mobile home, they should be able to fix you up at a very reasonable price for the material.
Hope this helps. If you were closer to me or passing by, I would be happy to help you get the skirting kit from my mobile home supplier... at my COST. John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote