Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Meet you at the Show, the RV Show that is!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Choosing

We have decided to get a new Montana. Have narrowed it down to three models. We like the 3400, 3295 and 3670. Now we have to decide which one.
We want to be able to get to the kitchen area and bath while traveling. The 3685 isn't doing it. Can't get to the bathroom.

Been checking prices for two days on the internet. But the prices are all over the place. Called on a couple, but they are gone already.

If you have one of the above models, can you tell us what you like or dislike.

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
From our signature, you can tell we have the 3295. I have to confess that if Marsha and I were told to pick any Montana model for free, we would most likely go with the 2955--mostly due to size--but we DO love our 3295!

When the slides are extended, it is absolutely spacious, and we love that. Marsha loves the kitchen storage space and bar as well as the desk in the back that she uses to quilt when we go on longer trips. As she just said to me, there is NOTHING choppy about the floorplan.

On the flip side, when you are traveling, there is no reaching most of the back of the unit unless you rearrange the kitchen table and chair. Steve and Vicki Reigle could shed some light on that as I know they are one of the families to have done this. Perhaps that offers some extra space; I just do not remember what they said on that when we met them back in April. That said, the refrigerator is accessible, but other cabinet space is not.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We love the spaciousness of the 3400. We needed a work space and so the desk worked great for us. Ed didn't want to look at the back of my head when I was working and he was watching the tube. While you can't get to the kitchen cupboards when slides are in, you can get to the frig and bathroom. We put bread, paper plates, cups, napkins, silverware, etc. in the cupboard above the washer/dryer which is accessible. So we had lunch with no problem. Just takes a little thinking ahead. We like the rear living room because as anyone comes in or out of the unit, they are not in the middle of the living space. We lived in ours for 9 months while working up north and never did find anything we didn't like except the remote control heater and the DVD player and we've replaced both.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am with Parrothead on the 3400RL. I have not found anything I really did/do not like on my 3400RL, the only thing is you do have to plan ahead while being on the road as you can get to fridge but not pantry or cupboards. I have all my "pinic supplies" in the washer/dryer cabinet so I just have to make lunch before I pull out of the campspot in the morning and throw into fridge and I am set. Can get the bathroom and bed without opening any slides if I pull into a rest area for a nap or lunch. Works great for me.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
In the 3295 if you need into the kitchen area past the fridge we have found the slide extends no further than the entry steps when they are down, so if you have clearance for the steps to be out, you will also have clearance for the kitchen slide. The slide hydraulic system has isolation valves that will keep the other two slides in and let out the kitchen only. With TV trays you have place to sit at the sofa and chair and eat your meal while traveling. There is not a problem with access to the bathroom.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
We have just purchased the 3400RL after 1 year of searching and looking for the right one for us . One feature to consider when travelling and stopping at a rest area, your hydraulic selector valves can be pre-set to only open your kitchen slide however far you need it to access your cupboards/stove..etc.. We love the double slide feature in the living room as it provides a sizeable area to watch tv or entertain guests. Fireplace is a nice add-on feature as well. That is how we concluded our choice. Hope this helps. Dennis and Diane..
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:16 AM   #7
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I know you didn't mention the 3475 unit. it is the same as the 3400 without the sliding kitchen. It is accessible from the bedroom to the rear windows without opening anything up. That is why we choose the 3475 over the 3400. Just our opinion.
Ken and Velda
MOC 345
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC Crewcab Duramax
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:41 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We chose the 3475 for the same reason as Ken but also because of the extra storage space it provided. As fulltimers we wanted all we could get but in my opinion you can't go wrong with any of the Montanas. Get the one that says "this is it" when you enter it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, while we currently have a 3670, we have been considering getting a newer one. Of the Montana we are favoring the 3400RL, but are awaiting the revived 3380RL before making a finial.
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:36 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie's method to open the slide a little on the 3295rk will work but we don't find the need to even open it that far since our daytime stops are for lunch and potty stops. The bathroom is accessible, no problem. The fridge is accessible with slides retracted, too. And so are the drawer and the cabinet door next to the fridge. That's where you put things you will need to access during those stops. Vicki just puts things there as part of her breakdown routine if we figure on stopping and fixing lunch. If you need access to the stove or oven then you will need to extend the slide.

As noted in an above post, we have swapped the location of the dining table and the big chair. Now we can easily get to the drinking glasses/plates/etc cupboard without opening slides. If you don't want to do this you could unbolt your dining table from the floor and turn it sideways for travel to gain clearance to those cupboards.

To be honest, we like this floorplan so well we're not at all concerned about doing a little preplanning for our travel day stops although silverware and napkins are about all we have to move before travel. After all, we spend far more time parked with slides open than inside the rig while on the road. Just so we can get to the bathrrom and work things out for lunch.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:36 AM   #11
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Chuck picked the 3670. We love it. Now we don't trip over the german shepard everytime we try to move. We close the door to the bedroom and keep the cats litter box up there. She can go under but he can't help himself. Ugh. The little dog is blind so he doesn't go much of anywhere. Stays close to us.
After two long trips in it, we have found nothing --- nada --- we need to contact the dealer about. Just the placement of the outside electrical outlet. Dealer can't do much about that. No leaks, no cupboard doors falling off --- seems too good to be true. Wish we had seen this the first time.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Carol and Chuck, We too have a 3670RL. We like the openest that it has when the sides are out and also being able to get to the frig and bathroom witout extending the sides. Hope you have good luck we have had. Happy travels.
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:32 AM   #13
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
Sure do love this MOC site. Have learned tremendously from reading all messages. Thanks!
We're staying at Fort McDowell, AZ (near Fountain Hills)for the next few months. Anyone know what RV shows will be going on near here? We love to walk around and see all the new models. Also, RV Traders is in Mesa. Anyone know about this place, good or bad? We plan to trade up after the first of the year.
Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:22 AM   #14
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
We just got our 3670 about 5 weeks ago. We had a Mountaineer prior to and the reason that we got the 3670 is because of the spaciousness as well as the ability to get to everything with the slides in. We can make lunches and use the potty without even opening the slides. Of course with the slides open there is nothing but room. We decided against the 3400 because of the counter top. In the 3670 there is counter top between the stove and the fridge which acts like the wrap around counter top for use space but there is no hindrance to the walking when going from one area to the other. The only complaint that I have with the 3670 is the desk. I like the desk option that is open and usable with a chair, you do not have this with the 3670 but there is always a trade off... I wish you the best with your decision and know that if you are as happy with yours as we are with ours... Great times are ahead... Sharon and rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Although we like the fact that the 3400 has access to the bathroom and fridge, we only stop briefly when we're traveling. Since you spend much more of the time in the camper in the campground than you will on the road, figure out how you will use it when you're camped. If you do a lot of entertaining, you may find that the extra slides are important. The reason they make so many different styles of Montanas is because there are so many different lifestyles. I would say you won't go wrong as long as it suites your lifestyle. Enjoy, whichever model you choose.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #16
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
As you can tell we also have the 3670 and we bought it because of the open feel it gives you when the slides are out. Another great feature is that you can use it with the slides in if you need to. As already mentioned the desk area is very small, but I use a laptop so it really does serve our purpose. I do understand that the 3670 may not be produced any longer though. I think Montana will be making a mistake by eliminating this model but they know there market better than I.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #17
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
We love our 3685FL, however, we have learned a whole bunch this past year. We are short of storage space because of the second door. And when we stop we have to open the kitchen slide to to get access to our bathroom. Thus this fall we are going to buy a '07 3295RK model. Good luck on your choice.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote