Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
Favorite Improvement - tell everyone

Ok, it's time for ya'll to tell us your favorite modification or improvement.

If you have pictures, that would be great. Where best to get ideas, than with a great group that has the same type of setup?

bob

bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Hands down, the very best improvement we made was to lower the bed box(pedestal) by 4" and install a regular queen size Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop mattress. At the same time, we replaced the plywood underneath the mattress with 3/4" to firm it up. Why Keystone produces such great rvs but really skimps on the bed is beyond me!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Go HOME at top of this page.

OR:

http://geocities.com/montanaowners/ShowandTell.html
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Hands down, the very best improvement we made was to lower the bed box(pedestal) by 4" and install a regular queen size Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop mattress. At the same time, we replaced the plywood underneath the mattress with 3/4" to firm it up. Why Keystone produces such great rvs but really skimps on the bed is beyond me!
How did you lower the bed pedestal because we will be upgrading the bad also.In our last camper the upgraded bed was so high you could get a nose bleed. We were told at the factory, and it sort of makes sense, that most folks will replace the bed no matter what so they install a "average" quality mattress..same story with the audio system...hummmmm
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Havent sleep in ours yet as we wont pick it up til the end of the week. In our other 5er we put some of that spaceage foam that molds to your body. It made a big difference and is a lot cheaper than a new bed.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
"We were told at the factory, and it sort of makes sense, that most folks will replace the bed no matter what so they install a "average" quality mattress..same story with the audio system...hummm"

They wouldn't have to replace factory standard items if they were good quality to begin with. Don't let anybody tell you that the manufacturers don't use the cheapest stuff they can get away with, because it is a savings to them. Tires are a pet peeve of mine, and most mfg. still use the unsafe Chinese junk because they get it cheaper. When I pick up my new 2955 RL next week, it's going straight to the tire shop for a changeout. I for one would pay a few bucks more for good tires from the factory.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
The best improvement I made to ours was to make and install a plexiglass "stormwindow" on the screendoor. It gives us the light we wish from the outside without the cold (or heat) as the case may be. Next was the installation of a 12v outlet/tv antenna outlet in our kitchen so we can use our 12v tz when we are not on electricity.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...with_Storm.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v172/k...turnbutton.jpg
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My favorite improvement so far has been the recessed rope lighting I installed around the entire island. I installed it under the counter top edge and it fit just perfect. It creates just enough light at night to be able to see, but not to much that it over powers the area. Sure is nice while watching a movie after a hard day playing on the lake. I liked it so much that I bought 5 more sets of rope light to add somewhere on the inside this summer. Also later this summer I am adding a flat panel tv and the Bose 3.2.1 system in the bedroom.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We put a plastic over our dinette chair cushions. It actually looks very nice. It is nice when the grandchildren visit we dont have to worry about messes. We haven't camped yet this year to try out the fireplace we installed.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Richfaa, In order to lower the bed box we dissassembled the bed to the point where we just had the box. We took the box out of the camper and stripped the paneling off both inside and out of the box. You are then left with a box made of 1" x 1" material. The uprights or studs were removed and shortend by about 4" and then the box was re-assembled... Basically we lost the under bed storage, that is the amount that can be lowered, anything more than that would interfere with the slide cylinder below the storage area. When we placed the new 12" high mattress in place the bed is pretty much at a normal height, and thus our two schnauzers are still able to jump up on the bed. It is a time consuming process for a weekend carpenter such as myself but WELL worth the effort!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I wired a little toggle switch over my hydraulic slide out pump in the front compartment. This switch is turned off except when I am moving the slides. This disables the main switch.
I don't have to worry about curious kids or half blind adults pushing my slide out switch and causing damage. I can't believe that Montanas don't come with a lock out switch from the factory because activating the slides when you don't want to can be a very expensive mistake.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have made so many.... One that I like is replacing the kitchen chairs. We have all oak, they are lighter and also we have only 3 instead of the 4. One for desk and two for the table.

We replaced our mattress too.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:21 AM   #13
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
Without a doubt my best upgrade has been the addition of my 2nd 15K btu A/C.
Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:53 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
DarMar..did a print out on your "how to lower the pedestal" post..Will see how our 3400 is put together and hopefully we will be able to do that.The under the bed storage is no big deal.When we put a good mattress in our previous camper it was so heavy the Struts would not hold it up anyway..
Old 03-13-2006, 03:10 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Montana Sky, Bill wants to know if this is your version of a Montana Prevost? LOL
Gotta admit that it does sound nice though. Where did you plug the lights into?
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Helen, tell Bill that a Prevost would have mirrors on the ceiling, too. Dave's not doing that... or are you, Dave???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:32 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This might not fit here but at this point our favorite improvement has been going from a 1996 terry 29R to a 2006 Montana 3400RL.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #18
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Montana Sky, Bill wants to know if this is your version of a Montana Prevost? LOL
Gotta admit that it does sound nice though. Where did you plug the lights into?
Helen
Hey, we could make this into a new TV show "Pimp My Montana"
Whudya think?

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Helen,
Ha ha ha!!! Tell Bill I am still in love with the Prevost H3-45, you guys know me all to well. I actually got the idea from one of the Prevost bus' I was in awhile back. I will try to get some pics taken next month and will post. I was able to plug the lights into the outlet that is right next to my spice cabinet, I started the nonplug side right next to the tv and it follows the entire island all the way around and ends right next to the oven/microwave slide. I also have to say Helen, I love your website. I read your posts every evening before I turn in for the night. Your stories and pictures are amazing and I look forward to reading all about your journey, I joke with my parents that I am fulltiming through you and Bill. =)

Dave,
There will be no mirrors on the ceiling, but I do have something in the back of my head that will involve the ceiling and some lights... =) I really have to put some thought into that one to see if I can even make it happen.

Ken,
"Pimp my Montana" I do like the sound of that... =) Oh the things that we could do!!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #20
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Rich, unless they changed on the 2006 layout from the 2005 and you have the king size mattress, the bottom right hand side has to be rounded to clear the bathroom vanity. So you will need to have a mattress special made, and you ever want to flip it over every year or so you will have to both sides rounded. I’m not sure about a queen size.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote