Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Kimbrey

M.O.C. #13585
New from the PNW

Good Morning,
New member..I'm glad I figured how to get on to this site.
I'm not a Montana owner yet as we are still into the heavy research mode. Hopefully I can get a lot of good information from this site. Earlier this year I purchased a new 26' boat to salmon and tuna fish out of Westport Washington so I will be spending more time playing with that. My wife doesn't like staying in our slide in truck camper all that much so she wants to move up to a 5th wheel. So far out of the Montana line we like the 3402 & 3582 mainly because of the larger shower.

I work in Alaska as a captain of a factory trawler fishing in the Bering Sea and Aleutain Island areas. When I get back home in September after my 2 month rotation we will hit the road hard shopping. I'm not sure if September is a good time to shop for a RV but it's hard with my schedule....we will see I guess. Anyway I'm hoping I'll be able to get as much information as possible before I get home.

Kimbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Welcome to the forum. You have found a vast repository of experiences, information, opinions and occasionally humor!! Ask any questions and you will be amazed at the willingness of the MOC membership to assist and provide answers and advice.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Welcome to the forum. If you can think of ANY question regarding the Montana line there will be someone who can answer it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum. You'll find experience here with Montana's specifically but also a wealth of camping and 5th wheel information in general. Don't be afraid to post a thread and ask questions. The only dumb question is the one you were afraid to ask. All of us were beginners once and you can go back and find some very elementary questions I asked in a panic back then.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We researched for two years and got the trailer of our dreams. I'm in construction so I looked at fit and finish, quality of construction and quality of materials used. In my opinion, you won't find a better made trailer for the price.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I looked 2 years, I believe the Montana gives the best deal for the dollar. I looked at several more expensive units, and was not satisfied with the craftsmanship
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
The very best part of owning a Montana is the vast knowledge easily given by the members of this forum.

I doubt there is a question you can come up with that hasn't been addressed at least once.....and there are so many people willing to give you their very best advice and a peek at their experiences!

WELCOME!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
We have a 2012 3582. There were several factors that were important as we looked for a unit. The 3582 offers a king bed, lots of counter space in the kitchen (we enjoy cooking), double door refrigerator, larger tub/shower which has plenty of room plus it allows you to save water by showering with a friend :-). It has lots of storage. For more practical reasons we wanted to be able to access the frig and bathroom without opening the slides while on the road. The level up system is an absolute must ! One difference between the 2012 and the 2013 is that the 2012 allows the TV to lower down behind the fireplace and there is a window for light and cross ventilation. We like this over the 2013. The 2013's have LED lights that we are slowly converting to through a great resource in Filament Free LED's. We added hose and a three stage water filter in the basement to keep it from freezing in colder times from the RV water filter store. Again a great resource! The 2013 has the 12" i beams vs my 10" and time will tell how that will work out. A other thing that we changed after taking delivery (did not know about MOC Forum until after purchase) was the tires. Again this forum had so much convincing information, that I called our dealer and he made me a good deal to buy the Marathons and put on G614's. There are many people here that have other great suggestions for other tires too so you will have some great advice. Make sure that you ask for some ideas here. I hope you have a great time looking, we did! We had a very supportive dealer in Leisure Time RV out of OKC. If you have any other questions please PM me.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Welcome aboard ! we are fulltimers and live in Olympia ,Wa and love our Montana we have a 3402rl and like it because of the shower,2 vanity's and sinks and TONS of storage,huge living room,and nice kitchen and like Petmoose says LOVE the 6 point autolevel! we bought ours at Tacoma RV and had a great buying experience good luck with your search
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Kimbrey

M.O.C. #13585
Thanks for the replies guys. This site sort of reminds me of an owners group of a boat I used to own (Arima 22').

Like I said my wife and I did like the 3402 & the 3582 because of the bigger shower which looked like it would handle my big rear easily. She seemed to like the 3582 because of island and "Petmoose" you stated a couple of things I never would have thought of like being able to access the refer with the slides in. We also would like to have a king bed but I think I'd give that up for a queen just to have a place to lay my Kindle down when it's time to drool on the pillow. Does yours have tables or a shelf on each side of the bed?

Jimmy...a fellow WA resident!! I live in Tacoma. I noticed from your profile you like to razor clam dig. I grew up on those things being born and raised in Grayland. My dad was a cranberry farmer and a school teach in Aberdeen. Nothing makes a better chowder. I haven't been digging for years. I guess when my mother moved off the beach to Olympia I just kind of stopped going down to the old hometown. My wife doesn't like any type of seafood...who would of thunk it...married a commercial fisherman and the only seafood she will eat is a tuna fish sandwich. Since I bought my 26' boat I have been going down more fishing which is why the wife wants a better place to stay thus the 5th wheel hunt. I'm glad you had a good experience with Tacoma RV as I live fairly close above Browns Point. We stopped in and looked at all the models. I'm not sure about the whole purchasing process but I'll ask those questions and more in a better place on this forum than this thread.

Then there is the tire comments which I'll have to ask about.

Just before I left for my rotation in Alaska we did upgrade the truck to a 2013 Chevy Duramax dually which hopefully will give us a good stable foundation pulling a fiver.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I'll have a stack of information by the time I get home from Alaska in September. We were actually thinking for a vacation going to the Hershey RV show. I kind of joked with the wife if we should fly back or drive and pull something home.
Kim
Kimbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Hi Kim, yeah we love our Razor clam digging and just going to the Ocean ALOT with our other RV buddies it is a fun time, and as far as the our 3402rl we can open one side of the fridge with the sides closed and we have the King bed and read with our Kindle a lot and we have plenty of room on the side shelves next to the bed for a glass of water and a Kindle or books and by the way Me and my family have been in the Fishing biz for quite a long time my Dad owned 3 fish markets and I worked on prossessers in the old days Hard work and Good memories!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Ours is king bed with the shelves on both sides. It is big enough for an Ipad, IPhone, and a flashlight. I stand the IPad up and lean it against the outside head wall. There are electrical outlets clse on both sides if you need to charge anything.

The king bed was a must for my wife since we have a 125 lb yellow lab and a cat that sometimes feel the need to get into bed with us.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #13
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Kim, welcome to out great forum. As you have probably noticed, their is an amazing amount of info available if you just ask.

I am also a 2012 3582 owner (from Edmonds, Wa) and agree with others about the great characteristics of this model (and the 3402). With regards to the bed size, you may not have a choice as most dealers will order in their units with a king size. You can easily cut it down to a queen size yourself if desired. I did this as it adds just enough extra room to slide by the closet doors when I climb into bed (and get up in the middle of the night 5 times to go you know where). The quality of the standard factory mattress's are generally pretty poor, so you will probably want to replace it or at least add a foam topper, so don't worry too much about what the unit comes equipped with.

Jim

ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That's true Jim the(premium)LOL mattress that comes with them is pretty lame ours is already getting bad and we will go to Costco and get a topper next week,by the way I am right on track to get up 5 times a night I'm up to 3 and I'm only 53 this old age thing BITES!
Old 07-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Kim,
Welcome from Puyallup we went with he 3750FL. Just got back from a great weekend at Alder Lake with our Yacht Club(small boats on this event). So far I am happy to report be very gruntled rather than disgruntled with our Monty. I am pretty sure the one you pick out will be the same for you too.
We got ours from Tacoma RV in Fife. They just moved into a new place in Fife that has the coaches, service and parts all in one location. Just tell'em we sent ya!!
We also belong to a boat owners group, C-Dory's C-Brats, and this fine group works the same way. We love and sometimes complain a bit, but we all have our Montana loyalty and enthusiasm in common. Just like any good owner's group,it gives companies like Keystone feedback that hopefully is taken constructively, and of course connections far and wide, and lots of new friends.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote