Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
wesslvm

M.O.C. #10143
New here, not new to RV'ing

Hello from snowy CT!

We sold our camper last year (Trailmanor 2720SL) with the intent of moving up to a larger camper, most likely a toy hauler to bring along the motorcycle.

We have been to a couple of shows and think we may have found the model we like,vthe Mountaineer 347THT.

We are likely going to wait till next year around this time to make our actual purchases. We don't have a tow vehicle picked out yet, but what little research I've done I'm leaning towards a Dodge Ram 3500 with Cummins diesel and automatic trannie.

I look forward to learning from your real life experiences as I read up on the forums here and I'll be posting questions along the way!

Thanks,

Vince

wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Welcome. Many of us joined the forum before we had our rigs. Feel free to join in.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard! Fire away with the questions. I think you'll find there are many very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum. I hope you enjoy it and that new Mountaineer when you get it.

We've spent a little time in your beautiful state and hope to spend more there one of these days. But not this time of year!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Welcome to the MOC! If you are leaning towards a Dodge 3500 with that drive train you are certainly on the right track for that Mountaineer. We look forward to hearing about your adventures.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Welcome to the forum, and if I was looking for a new truck it would also be a Dodge. Good luck
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is the right place to get Montana & Mountaineer info. All you will get about tow vehicles is difference of opinion (sometimes heated), but that Dodge with work for you. welcome aboard. Happy RVing.........
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Welcome to the club...being from Connecticut myself I have to agree with you about the snow. We bought a 2010 Montana 3455SA and love it. I couldn't afford a
new truck but found a 2004 Dodge 3500 Diesel dually ( automatic ) and love it. It pulls our unit with no problem and is far better on gas pulling the monty than our motor home got. I think I'm doing better on gas with the Dodge 3500 than I was getting with my jeep.
I also want to thank you for serving our country.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
wesslvm

M.O.C. #10143
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sky

Welcome to the club...being from Connecticut myself I have to agree with you about the snow. We bought a 2010 Montana 3455SA and love it. I couldn't afford a
new truck but found a 2004 Dodge 3500 Diesel dually ( automatic ) and love it. It pulls our unit with no problem and is far better on gas pulling the monty than our motor home got. I think I'm doing better on gas with the Dodge 3500 than I was getting with my jeep.
I also want to thank you for serving our country.
Hello neighbor!

Back in '04 when we bought our previous RV we also bough our TV new. This time around I will probably go with a used TV and possibly even the RV if I can find the model I'm looking for.

With our current economy deals can be made but we are not ready to pull the string. My work schedule this year is not camping/vacation friendly. Next year will be much better, plus our finances will be able support the purchases better given the additional time.

I don't have much concern about buying a used RV (1-2 years old) but I DO have some reservation about buying a used TV. I know these trucks are well built and designed for heavy duty purposes such as towing heavy 5'ers, but I would feel more comfortable breaking in a new truck myself and having the full warranty.

We have plenty of time to work all this out. It took us about a year of looking at various RVs to narrow our choices. Finding the right TV shouldn't be all that hard.

Thanks for your service as well. I'm sure you saw much more hazardous duty than I did!

Vince
Old 02-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Vince, good luck and welcome to a great group on the MOC here. Me thinks you might have been a bubblehead by your MOC signature?? True? Retired from USNR after 25 yrs and assigned with CSG8 in the Med area and other places. Retired in '89.
Getting on this forum before you buy is a smart move. We did the same and we got terrific assist from everyone.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
wesslvm

M.O.C. #10143
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Me thinks you might have been a bubblehead by your MOC signature?? True? Retired from USNR after 25 yrs and assigned with CSG8 in the Med area and other places. Retired in '89.
Hi Dennis,

Retired in '96, EMC(SS). I was in the Med in'88 (G.P. Lipscomb, SSN-685), La Maddalena for upkeep.

Thanks for the welcome!