Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
tractor46

M.O.C. #13370
The New Paramount Package

We purchased a new upgraded package in late November and so far have really enjoyed our 3402RL. We especially like the additional four feet compared to the 30 foot Silverback we had for five years. One of the features I like is the hydraulic leveling, but somewhat surprised that it does not have the stability I had expected so I am curious as to experiences you may have encountered in setting up for extended periods of time. We arrived in Yuma, Arizona on the 5th of December and departed on the second of April after having to leaking jacks replaced by RV World. I found it necessary to re-adjust the auto leveling process at least twice a month to minimize the typical saging effect (creaking noise). When my wife would ask what is that noise I would respond having grew up on a farm and familiar with saging hydraulics over time...that the implement or RV in this case is going to settle. Other than the fact that we experienced a failed microwave in the first week after attempting to use the convection oven...which resulting in melting the mother board. It took five weeks to get the necessary repairs...which seems to me to be unreasonable with a new RV and a brand name product. My point is that when a mother board is shot...than a replacement microwave oven should happen immediately.

tractor46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
The creaking and popping sound should go away over time,when we first bought our 3402 it did it all the time at night and then after a few months it went away,as far as stability goes with the level up we are fulltimers and this 5er is a lot more stable than our old Big Sky,now we do not even need the king pin tripod up front
Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Have been in our current Montana full timing for 16 months and have not had the problems you describe. Has worked great and VERY stable. I always place 2" x 10" x 12" boards under each of the 6 pads. Have not noticed any one else doing this...maybe it makes a difference.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I think WeBeFulltime has got the answer on the popping noise epically if parked on concrete. Here is my idea about the issue. In February at Fort Pierce we were parked on a full concrete pad, the sun would heat us up in the day and when we cooled at night the popping noise occurred. We believe it was possibly the expanding and contracting of the I-beams. However, we did have two small hydraulic leaks (only leaked while operating the system), the leaks have now been fixed, one while at Tampa and the other in Nashville. We now have the Monty parked inside an insulated farm shop with all slides out and have not heard any popping noises while there in the day time or evenings. I did notice a one half inch drop in the front rams as I measured and did an Auto Level after two weeks. We have always had hydraulics drop some on the farm equipment especially loaders, but we constantly and aggressively put them under heavy loads. Hopefully now with no leaks in the Level Up and while it operates at a lower pressure than most farm equipment and is always lifting the very same load it should stay in place.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had ours in NM last year for 60mph wind gusts with the original landing gear and tripod jack. Had similar winds in AZ last week. Added level-up last fall. Far more stable now than then.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
In the new coaches with the Paramount Package, the wood is stained Cherry, so, no more Hickory package. It includes many things. Frameless windows, LED lights, crown mldg., stainless sink, new interior wall covering, etc. can't remember all without reading. The new coaches reflect MOCers input, and are as elegant as any SOB. You will be pleasantly surprised. Upgraded graphics, up graded front and rear caps, front cap having blue led nite lights. I'm off work for a few days. When I go back to CW, I will get a print out of the package and post here.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
we have the 2013 3402 too. we have the popping too. not really too bad though.

I have a TV that has gone out so i'm wondering how long it will take for that...

we love the new trailer except for the darn flexing and the closet doors falling apart.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote