Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
wat42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4557
Scary trip to Florida

This is our 3rd trip to Fla. as snowbirds. We left Ohio last Sat.(01/03/09) and was 5 miles from our campsight Sun. evening when the unexpected happened. We were traveling about 65 mph on I-75, was in a construction zone. I was talking to DH and happened to look over and he was slumped against driver's door, eyes closed, mouth open. Since he lost 2 brothers w/sudden heart attacks, I was sure he was gone. I grabbed the wheel and elect. brake, got trailer slowed down but not stopped since couldn't reach brake or flashers, I was still in seatbelt. All I could do was ask God over and over to help us. My grip was not good on steering wheel, it was my left hand and I felt us weaving back & forth. I didn't know how I was going to get off that highway. All of a sudden, DH asked me what was wrong. Told him he passed out on me, could he reach flashers and help me get truck & RV to the side (lucky there was a berm). He said yes and we got it stopped and got ourselves together. There was a large Hospital sign in front of us, and it said it was at next exit(about a mile). He was able to drive off exit, we stopped for a few minutes, said he could drive there very slowly, went to ER, by this time he felt fine. Was able to get right in w/his family history, they did all the tests, everything fine but heart rate. Spent night in ICU (slow heartbeat), went down in 40's while sleeping. Spent next night in reg. room but monitored. He is extremely healthy, first time ever a problem. All other tests normal and he was released on Tues., they are pretty sure he did not fall asleep, he wasn't tired and we stop about every 2 1/2-3 hours. We stayed at CG in Cordele that night to be sure he was ok. Arrived in Leesburg on Wed., everything fine but has to see a cardiologist. Has anyone experienced anything like this while driving? Needless to say, very concerned about driving back home in Apr., I don't drive the rig. Ladies, please know the brake lights don't come on just by pulling elect. brake, but I could not get to foot brake. Very lucky, our elect. brake was on my side. Also, make sure you have nothing in your way, it's hard enough to get across the console, don't have any more than you need in front seat in case of emergency. We hope to see some of you at the Tampa Show, but still a little nervous about driving. Glad we always say a prayer before traveling and ask for God's protection. HE truly was with us and we are grateful. Just wanted to let all of you know these things do happen. Take care and be safe.

Patty & Bill
Amherst, OH

wat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
What a nightmare!! I am so glad that you both are fine. Patty you really need to learn to drive the rig. It is not as scary as you think. You won't even feel it behind you. Start out slow in a big parking lot somewhere until you feel comfortable enough for the open road. You will be surprised at what you can do. Hope to meet you at the RV show. God bless you both....Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
You did the absolute best thing you could have done--kept a cool head, survived what could have been a fatal accident, and gone straight to a hospital and are now doing the follow-up care your husband needs.

Yes, yes--I have been there, done that, with Wayne, only we weren't pulling a trailer, thank goodness. Three years ago he was driving and I was working a crossword. All of a sudden the truck took a nosedive down into a "bar ditch," and by the time I had my wits about me, I realized that Wayne was slumped at the wheel. He came to almost immediately but didn't remember running off the road. He wouldn't go to a doctor--said he was just sleepy and had gone to sleep at the wheel.

A month or so later, I was reading as he was driving. Luckily, I looked up and was horrified to see that we were in the oncoming traffic lane and about to hit a car head-on. We were on Hwy. 41 outside of Dillon, and there is no place to swerve to avoid accidents. His head was down and he appeared to be asleep again. I yanked the wheel, pulling us back in the correct lane. My screaming work him up, and when he had control again, I made him pull over so that I could drive home. Seeing the doctor was no longer an option for him. (Uh, you probably don't want to know what I was screaming, but it did get his eyes open . . . wide! )

Unlike your story, however, and before Wayne made it to his appointment, I found him unconscious on the floor of our woodshed. He'd had a heart attack. Months later, after surgery, checkups, losing weight, etc., the cardiology team in Spokane said they were fairly certain the two passing-out events were related to his heart trouble, trouble that might have been detected had he gone immediately to a doctor after the first event. The initial cardiac cath done prior to surgery showed at that point, after the heart attack and prior to the surgery, he had only about 50% of a working heart, and that scar tissue in the non-functioning areas indicated that he'd had prior heart attacks, probably the spells that he blamed on indigestion. A simple EKG after the ditch dive probably would have picked up on the damage already done prior to the attack. While that might not have saved him from a heart attack, it would have allowed the doctors to do what they could at that point to prevent one.

Since his heart attack (which was followed by a year-long battle and multiple hospitalizations because of a staph infection around the heart after the surgery), he's lost 75 pounds and is Johnny-on-the-spot now with his medical appointments here and with his regular cardiology team in Spokane, and he's doing very well. He's no longer saying that "everybody snores," either, after being told by the doctors that the sleep study showed he was not breathing for up to a minute or longer during his snores, killing brain cells because of a lack of oxygen. He sleeps so much better and is much more rested now that he's tied to a CPAC machine at night. I love the silence myself--no more snoring to keep me awake. Being in denial about his health is a thing of the past.

What a good ending, at least so far, to your story. If something is wrong, you guys are well on the road to finding out what it is and getting treatment. I am so glad that things look good so far (even a slow heartbeat looks good in comparison to what could have been the problem!).

God obviously is keeping an eye on you, so that, with your quick medical attention, should keep you both safe and enjoying your Montana for miles and miles on down the road! Good luck to you both.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
That is quite the story. Patty, kudkos to you girl for a cool head and saving your lives! Keep those dr appts!!

Good luck, and I cannot agree more, learn how to drive that rig. It would not have helped you in this described emergency, but, learn to anyway. Don't wait for an emergency to learn by the seat of your pants.

Keep us posted.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree. I taught Vickie how to drive the rig right after we got it (wouldn't have it any other way) and now, we are both more comfortable that if there is an emergency, she can get us to safety. She never drove anythine that big before but knowledge eliminates fears.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Patty,

I sent you an email.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Wow, unbelievable you must have really been scared. I'm so glad to hear you were able to bring things under control.

Be sure your cardiologist runs all tests. I thought I was having problems with my sugar and it turning out to be my heart stopping and slowing down. Even blacked out for a second once and fell out of a chair. I now have a pacemaker that keeps my heart going if it falls below 60 beats per minute. A simple operation and quick recovery.

Like Carolyn said sleep apnea (cpap) also can cause you to fall asleep in the middle of a sentence. Not trying to be funny just to let you know how bad it can be.

Take care and have all tests.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Glad everything worked out safely. You did the right thing. It is the slow heart rates that are tricky. Many times they are talking to you or don't realize what is going on. The fast rates usually have pain or are very anxious or state their heart is racing. After over 28 years of being a Firefighter/EMT/Paramedic I have had a few slow rates that don't even feel the crushing pain associated with a heart attack until we pace or medicate there heart rate back to around 60. I remember one guy telling us he was all right with a rate of 26! Get them to the hospital. We don't save many that wait until they are found on the ground. Learn CPR. It helps. There is also cough CPR if you are alone. Again, glad everything worked out without getting hurt or worse.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh boy that was a close one.Glad everything is working out. Learn to drive that rig....We flunked our School Bus drivers exam in Ohio this year due to High BP and a erratic/rapid heart beat that did not exist the year before and I was not aware of a problem. Quick care and we are good now. Also retook and passed the exam. See you at the Tampa RV show.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
wat42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4557
Thank you everyone for the encouraging words. I am going to try to learn to drive that rig. There is a lady at our campground that has a 30' rig, she just lost her husband in Aug. and she learned and pulled it from Missouri to Fla. so I guess I can do it. Hubby is doing fine so far, has app't. next week with cardiologist. I think the worse at this point is perhaps a pacemaker which Dr. already suggested. Hardest part is for him to accept that his body is changing, ladies, sound like any men you know. May you all have God's protection as you travel and we are looking forward to meeting some of you at the show. Thanks so much.

Patty & Bill
wat42 is offline   Reply With Quote