Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Opening cabinet space on Mountaineer

I'm in the middle of a couple of cabinet upgrades to our coach. There is a space over the microwave that has a blank panel. I have removed the panel and installed a shelf. I have purchased matching oak at the local Home Depot and have routed to match the existing cabinet drawers. I found matching hardware. Debbie wants to put her baking sheets in here. I will post pictures when completed.

I am also putting a cabinet door on the small table located between the recliners. Tonight I'm gluing pieces of oak together. I will cut, route, fnish and install tommorow.

Later, I'm planning to put a Park Power Conversion Kit (marine connector) on the coach and put a Autoformer in the cabinet between the recliners. The new cabinet door will provide access. I will also put vents in the cabinet to provide ventilation for the autoformer.

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Looking forward to photos--sounds great!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Yes we would like to see this too! My wife just mentioned tonight about that being dead space and would be nice to have another cabinet
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Howdy Lamar,

Don't remember if I told you that I did the Cabinet door in the table between the recliners, and I could not be happier with this mod. It looks like it came from the factory this way. I was able to find the same door to match the others from my Dealers salvage pile. Inside I mounted and wired the Surgeguard. I thought about putting the Power connector kit in and then thought, now where shall I store the cord? In side with the Surgegard. So I just left it alone and still push the cord into the hole from the outside there's plenty of room for the S/G and the cord. I put my Cabinet door on the Rigs door side and it opens from the top, so I can sneek a peak at the LED lights to see how the SG is doing without moving the Chair. If your going to vent it, how about venting it to the outside? This way you will cut down on the noise and heat inside the coach from the AF?

Now your going to make me look into the area above the M/W.

Also have been thinking about putting a cabinet door to close off the space above the TV where we have our SatTV box. Something that would hinge up and be closed when not in use. Purely for eye apeal.

Good Hearing from you,
Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:25 AM   #5
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Hi fulltimedreamer we enjoyed all your pictures and projects keep up the good work. Waiting for more pictures of cabinet upgrade. Do you have time to enjoy traveling or just work on your coach? Whatever you do, I can see you are enjoying your time.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Just got back from a 5 day Camping trip to Unicoi State Park. Debbie had a few days off from school so we took advantage of 5 free days we had courtesy of Georgia State Parks for our voulunteer work last summer.

Anyway, I have modified the cabinet above the microwave. I put a shelf in over the top of the microwave, routed some oak to match the existing drawers and hinged it at the bottom. I also removed the front of the table between the recliners and fabricated a door from oak for it. I then put the magazine rack on the new door. Both look like they came from the factory. I was able to find matching hardware at the local Home Depot. Debbie loves the new space which is perfect for her baking pans. (Did I mention that I got a new router and a bit set out of this deal. I've always wanted a router. ) I'll try to make pictures and post on my website in the next couple of days. (I really do like the router and have come up with all kinds of projects for the future.)

I guess the next thing I'll try to get done next is the Park Power Conversion and the autoformer. We're going to be campground hosting again this summer and I'd like to finish before then. Debbie also sounds pretty serious about having a washer/dryer installed before then too.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:01 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lamar, I used to love my router, also. I rarely really had a call to use it but was always amazed at how even I could turn out professional looking results using a router. Granted, I did relatively simple things but that's one great tool. I do not have a router with us but am beginning to wonder if that's a tool I should reacquire.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I finally had the opportunity to update my website with the cabinet upgrades recently made to our coach. Here is a link if you are interested. Several other upgrades are viewable on this site as well.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...cab_space.html

Steve - I am really enjoying the router. Debbie has also come up with some more projects I can use it on. I think I will take the router with me when we go fulltiming. Maybe I can do RV upgrades while we travel.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
T and J
Established Member

M.O.C. #806
When you go to change the cord, remove the screws and lift the cabinet out of the way. Much easier to work on the wires. Also, I hope you find as I did that the wires that go from the junction box to the breaker panel are long enough to go clear to the back of the coach so you can get rid of the junction box. You also might want to add some insulation in between the back wall and the fiberglass end cap. I did this to our 1999 3255rl last year, all tho I didn't insulate, (I should have) just closing the holes in the back wall for the cord eliminated a MAJOR draft! By the way, very nice work!
Terry (T and J)
T and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
T and J

Thanks for the comments. We're going out camping this weekend but I hope to change the electric over to a Marine connector next week. Did you by chance put a Hughes Autoformer in your unit? I'm wondering if it will generate much heat? I'm hoping I can get rid of the junction box as well. I'll put some foam in there to stop the draft too. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #11
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
FULLTIMEDREAMER

Where did you get your Marine Connectors, I've been looking for them (one male & female). We have had problems with the cord getting tangled up and couldn't get the cord out with out going in side and removing the panel from the table. THANKS
Old 03-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
T and J
Established Member

M.O.C. #806
Double Answer!
Lamar, negative on the Autoformer, but I think our future may include one, since about 2/3rds of the campgrounds we use show low voltage (many very low ie. 110v or lower!)Have a volt meter plugged into receptacle just inside entry door. If you just check voltage with no load it may not appear as a problem, we really see it when there is a load, as in an electric heater or the air conditioner drawing on the system.
As far as the heat issue, yes when working it will make heat but how much I couldn't say. The listing for their installation kit starts out. "Install the Autoformer in the VENTILATED COMPARTMENT of your RV..." Guess that answers our questions!
Larry, I got the plug and receptacle from a local electric supply house, but they said they wouldn't have had them in stock if they hadn't rewired a marina at South Haven.(We're only 30 Mi. from Lake Michigan) So you may have to special order it! You want a three prong 30 amp 120 volt twist lock male (mounted) plug and female (cord end)receptacle and some kind of weather cover for when the cord is not connected.
On our "99" 3255rl the cord was supposed to go through the fiberglass end cap past a verticle brace then through the inside wall, and the holes did not line up! Constant snag, three months and it was changed. I believe that was the reason Montana went to removable shore line. Dealer might be source for plug/receptacle, original line is used for shore line, or can be used for extension cord.
Have fun guys! Terry (T and J)
T and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Lamar,

Excellent work. I really like the front opening of the recliner Cabinet. Never thought of putting it there instead of in the side. Oh yea my junction box is long gone. I will definitely be doing the over the MW shelf and door after seeing your pics and repeating it to cover the opening above the TV.

Thanks,
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:54 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I **think** the marine connectors are available at marine supply dealers like Bass Pro Shop, Cabela's, Boating World, and maybe some boat dealers. If I recall, someone posted they found them in a marine supply store quite awhile back.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #15
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Here is a source for a Marine type connector which I believe is similar to those used on Montana 5th Wheels. It comes in a 30A and 50 A version.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...55&prodID=2843
Old 03-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #16
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
fulltimedreamer

Thanks for the info. on the marine connector its what I'm looking for.

Larry & LaVonne

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

Here is a source for a Marine type connector which I believe is similar to those used on Montana 5th Wheels. It comes in a 30A and 50 A version.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...55&prodID=2843