Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
Vent Fans

Was there a thread where the noisey vent fans were changes out with some that were quieter? I could not find the information on it. If anyone has done this let me know.....I would certainly think that there should be something that can be done.

thanks....

Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think I remember some discussion on this topic also. If I remember correctly, it was not the main topic, but was a secondary comment to the main topic. I can't find it either. It might have been in the Improvements section and had to be within the last two months.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 12:32 AM   #3
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
check out post Nov 18 by Steve Reigle -- think that may be the one you want, talks abut replacing noisey fan with computer fan. Good Luck
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:37 AM   #4
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
That member search (Steve Reigle) dont work for me, but I'm also interested in a replacment fan. Any ideas of how to do a better search?
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:13 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
My Montana uses 3 differnt fans, not counting the A/C and the furnace.... which one (s) are you thinking of replaceing?
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:34 AM   #6
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We replaced the fan in the bath room with a computer fan. They are very quiet. Also added one to the vent near the shower. Am currently trying to figure a way to get a computer fan mounted in the hood over the stove so we don't wake up the neighbors. Computer fans are only 5 at the flea markets in AZ.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I'm also interested in the idea of replacing the range hood fan with a computer fan...let us know if you figure it out. My wife won't use the hood fan beause it is too loud. I haven't taken the hood apart yet to look it over.

Thanks,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:20 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Kept the range hood fan,...added a speed control.... nice and quiet... speed set to remove enough air to keep the flap open ... works quite well.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:43 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Gruffy, are you talking about a reostat switch (like a dimmer switch) in place of the existing switch?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #10
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
It would work, but would have to be able to handle 10s of watts. I uses a PNP power transistor and a regular pot. The tin of the little duct became the heat sink for the transistor.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Probably overkill for the application, but I replaced our bathroom fan with a Fantastic Fan, manual operation type. Only ever used it on low, but it was certaily both quiet and efficient. It was under a MaxxAir, which was another reason we only use it on low. That was in our 02 3255. I took it out when I traded it for an 05 3670.

I was planning to put the Fantatic in the new trailer, but the stock fan in this trailer is much quieter than on the previous one. I may still do it just for the more efficient fan.

On a related matter, I did not get MaxxAir vent covers for the new trailer, I bought AeroFlo covers from Camping World and installed them myself. These are similar in concept, but have a lower profile and more vent capacity. They also have all stainless steel hardware and can be opened from the top to permit cleaning inside the vent. Altogether quite and improvement on the conventional MaxxAir vent cover. Take a look at them if you are in the market for vent covers. (They are made by Camco and should be available almost anywhere, but I have only ever seen them at Camping World).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:25 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
TaylSpin and RonS, one of these might be what you're looking for--
http://www.forumco.com/montanaadmini...?TOPIC_ID=6944
http://www.forumco.com/montanaadmini...?TOPIC_ID=6958
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #13
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
Thanks for the replies. The bathroom vent fan and the kitchen range vent fan were the ones that I was talking about.

Steve: The 12v computer case fan sounds like the thing to do. I understand that change and will get to work on it. Thanks.

Gruffy: I like the idea of a speed control. However, I am in the dark about the PNP, transistor, heat sink thing. I get the main idea. I can do hot, common, ground and if it runs backwards, switch the wires. After that, I need instruction. If it is something that can be explained by e-mail, my address is: mtayl82@aol.com

thanks and travel safe
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:20 AM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I also installed the AeroFlo, and pleased
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:33 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm in the same position as Reid. I can do basic electrical but that's about it. I have had that range hood fan switch out a couple of times, back when we first got the rig and had problems with that fan not working. It's simple to access and has just two wire connections.

The sticker under the hood says "electrical rating: 12VDC at 3.5 amps." That's probably combined light and fan? Is a 12v rheostat generally available at Radio Shack? And 3.5 amps would be what, 420 watts? So is a rheostat available for this application? I'd like to avoid getting past my capabilities, if possible. And Vicki really wants me to do this variable speed fan on the range hood thing.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:36 PM   #16
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle
The sticker under the hood says "electrical rating: 12VDC at 3.5 amps." That's probably combined light and fan? Is a 12v rheostat generally available at Radio Shack? And 3.5 amps would be what, 420 watts?
Steve ... I believe 3.5 amps at 12 volts is 42 watts. (3.5 x 12 = 42)

If you make the modification, I'll be interested in hearing how effective that little range hood fan is at lower speeds. Even at high speed, I think it does a better job of making noise than removing cooking odors and steam.

Hope you are having a Merry Christmas in MO!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:44 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Craig, I've noticed that the fan does not keep the outside door open so also wonder if maybe we need to just replace it with something stronger and with a rheostat. It's been awhile since I had that thing apart so need to look to see if a computer 12v case fan will work like it does in the bathroom. Much quieter and stronger and less than ten bucks for the fan.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:34 AM   #18
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have not checked our fan motor, but should'nt the hood exhaust fan motor be a sealed one for safety?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:21 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I remember seeing it but don't recall if it was sealed. In any case it should be replaceable. It's a matter of whether a case fan can be fit in there.

Just took a look in there. It's a six inch fan and should do a good job. However, ours is wired backwards. It's pulling air in instead of blowing it out. That's why the outside door doesn't open on ours. I pulled the blades off the fan (it's a slide fit) and reversed them but that doesn't correct it. Also reversed the wires on the switch. Same thing. The wires into the fan motor are direct-wired, no connectors to switch. I see the two wires to the fan switch and the two to the light switch are all black wires. All the white wires are wired together into a wire nut. I guess I need to do some experimenting with this to see if I can get the fan motor to run the other way. It's 12v. If anyone has other ideas, I'm all ears.