Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Pullrite auto slider versus Hijacker slider

Well here we are again begging for more information. Don't ya love new folks? Kathy and I are in the hitch-learning-mode [prior to spending the dough]. Based on some information I found on this site I learned about the Pullrite slider....and then as I searched the net to learn more about the Pullrite-I found another auto-slider called Hijacker [hijacker.com] [ouch, I hate to say that H word these days]. Anyway, if anyone has information about the Hijacker products -we are all ears. Incidentally, Hijacker's alleged claim is that their products are equal to Pullrite but much more $ reasonable-hmmmm.
Thanks-a-lot,

Jim and Kathy in Folsom, CA
06 2955 Monty / 07 Chevy D/A 2500 4X4 short bed

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
We bought the Pull-rite and think it is great. Do a search on this forum about hitches and you will come up with more info than you know what to do with. That's how we made our decision.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have pull-rite and i guess they say we don't need it but if you get in a pintch some time its no broken rear truck window you get what you pay for i say why get one that says we are as good as pull-rite , can't they stand on there own ,, they have to bleed off someone else john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The PullRite Superglide is the only hitch for me.
There are many out there that say you don't need any sliding hitch for the new Monty's because of the new nose design. Well it will be just a matter of time before some MOCer will be proving that theory 100% wrong when the take out a window. I believe it was Brad that posted picks of his new BS showing jut how you don't need a slider. Take a look at the pics folks, pictures don't lie.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Hi there Jim and Kathy,

I am also a pull rite 18k owner. I took a look at the hijacker website and it does look like a very similar product except..

1. It did not appear to be a 'removable' product. I may be wrong about this but I did not see anything about easy removal.
2. Hitching and unhitching is limited to a 15 degree angle. I know the pull rite has a limit hitching up but I am sure it allowed me to uncouple at a much more severe angle. (if I need to I can disconnect the kingpin capture part of the hitch and unhitch that way)
3. I was concerned about the slide disk wear. They only warranty them for a year and replacing them looks like a fun job.

Just things that jumped out at me as different when I read the manual. Not better or worse just different.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I was wondering if hijacker had side to side tilt as well as fore and aft. Superglide does. Also, I like the pin capture of the superglide. I would have to see the hijacker to make an evaluation BUT I love my Superglide and think it is well worth the money.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Jim, we have the hijacker autoslide hitch and are very please with it's current performance and the factory service. We got ours Oct.2006 and paid $2200. Canadian installed (above bed rails) which we thought was a great price. Ours was some of the 1st design models out there and we had the problem of excessive jerking while accelerating doing a left hand turn. To our surprise Victoria industries had the hitch shipped all the way back to their factory, repaired and returned absolutely no charge. This hitch is heavy indeed but I have watched 2 strong young bucks handle it fine. When not towing for awhile I use a chain hoist in my shop to lift the unit out and place it on a dolly and roll it in to a corner. The hitch utilizes two adjustable capture rails that the Monty pin box slides between, no add ons to the hitch pin. I did find that these rails needed adjustment when we traded our 2003 Monty for the 2007 model. Like many others we now wouldn't be without an autoslider.

P.S. On the subject of the slide discs, I think you would have to be a commercial hauler before you would encounter much wear, other than that my hitch comes with a 5 year warranty!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
We too have a Pullrite. Interesting, but looks complicated compared to our SuperGlide. However the idea of the "capture" plates on the hitch looks like a modification that could be done to the Pullrite to be able to pull other fifth wheels without modifying each pinbox.
Rescue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know much about either of the automatic sliders other than they are pricey. What I wanted to say is both Pullrite and Hijacker have very good reputations for quality equipment. So I wouldn't hesitate to purchase whichever brand best fit my needs and pocketbook.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Now that I have decided against the Sidewinder, the topic of this thread has caught my attention.

I would appreciate hearing the pros and cons of each hitch. I also have a couple of questions. I am not interested in hearing that "I have this brand and I'm happy so why buy another" or "This one is good enough for me" or whatever.

1. Cost is obviously in favor of the Hijacker although I am not yet sure by how much (haven't completed my research).

2. Ease of removal? I'm not sure which is really easier but I don't really care since I don't remove the hitch anyhow.

3. Hitchup angle? Someone said 15 degrees on the Hijacker. I've read it's 17 degrees for the Superglide. Right on both?

4. Extra cost item needed for other hitches to hitch to the trailer? Superglide is yes, about $120-150 from what I'm seeing. Someone above said no need for an accessory with the Hijacker. Correct or not?

5. Both Pullrite and Hijacker have great reputations. Pullrite's Superglide has been around for awhile but the Hijacker auto slider is a pretty new product?

I will continue my research but would appreciate hearing from those with knowledge.

Jim and Kathy, if I am out of line asking for more information please let me know and I'll start a new topic. I'm hoping since it's the same topic that nobody will mind.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #11
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
We had the Pullrite 18K superglide installed in the 2008 Chevy 3500 DRW we bought recently. Researched this for some time but the Pullrite has a good track record and we have not found any input to the contrary. Haven't got the price on the other hitch but reputation alone would be worth the choice of the pullrite to us. By the way we have the long bed dually, just like to have that extra room in back.

J&V
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Steve,

Hopefully I have some of the answers you are looking for.

I have seen the 18k pullrite with superrail for $1699 online with free shipping. The hitchhiker 16k can be found for $800 !!

I am with you on removing the hitch ... only in dire emergency for me.

It is a 15 degree hitch for the pullrite and according to the hijacker manual they also have a 10-15 degree hitch and unhitch.

The adapter adapter for the pullrite is $140 the hijacker will use standard 12-14 pin boxes but adapters are needed for mor ryde or 5th airborne hitches.

The hijacker slider may be a new product but these guys have been making hitches since 83 so they have been around a while.

If you read the product manual for the hijacker it is very similar to the pullrite. I am a happy pullrite owner but had I known about the hijacker at the time I might be a hijacker guy.

Hope that helps ..

Sean
Old 02-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
4 beader
Established Member

M.O.C. #8190
Where on-line did you find the Superglide 18k w/ superrails for $1699? I have not been able to locate that pricing, thanks!
4 beader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #14
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

I did a google on pullrite and http://kearbey.homestead.com/fwhitch.html gave the price I quoted. I have absolutely no experience with this company, I just found the website.

Sean
Old 02-22-2008, 02:55 AM   #15
4 beader
Established Member

M.O.C. #8190
Sean,

Thanks alot for the reference, I haven't done business with them either but I will check it out and see.

Ed
4 beader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J&V, I agree. I've heard nothing negative about the superglide other than complaints about the 15 degree limit on hitching and the need to spend that $140 for the plate so the trailer can be towed by a nonsuperglide hitch. I agree they're an excellent hitch. I'm always looking for "good enough" at the best price, though.

Sean, thanks for the good information. It definitely does help.

I wonder what it costs to have either hitch installed? Rarely are we in an rv park that would allow me to do that. Plus, I have reached the point in my life I'd rather not do it myself.

I downloaded the Hijacker Autoslide manual (it's available at www.hijacker.com for anyone wanting to look at it) in pdf format. It says hitch angle is 15 to 17 degrees, at least in the current manual. So about the same as the superglide. That seems to me a drawback but I wonder how many times it's really been a problem for those with either hitch?

The adapter you mentioned for the airborne and mor-ryde hitches wouldn't apply to me since I have neither. I'm unlikely to buy them just so I'd be able to tow someone else's rig if they happened to have one of those pinboxes. So I'm ok on that. If I got one of those pinboxes I'd have to buy the adapter.

I like that $800 price and may have to do a little shopping around.

Thanks to all for the input. If anyone has more input, I am still in the researching stage.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
Steve,
While you are doing the legwork on this hijacker autoslide ........see if you can find out if it can be mounted on any other rail system..........it looks possible to me , but not sure........I have a reese slider now with reese rail system......I would definately be interested in this hitch if I can just swap them out , without changing the bed rails......I think it will depend on the spacing of the rails and whether or not they line up the same.........it looks as though they use the four pins with safety clips just like the Reese system.

Thanks,
Roger
6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #18
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We have the Pullrite SuperGlide 18K Hitch for our TV and 3400.

I have no vested interest in the following company but was treated very professionally and the price was right.

I ordered the following from http://www.bigdiscountrv.com
- Quick Connect Capture Plate
- SuperRail kit
- SuperGlide 18K hitch

My total price was $1665 in October 2007. It was shipped to my RV dealer free and no sales tax. My dealer installed it for about a 4 hour labor cost.

The site is in Decatur Il, and I dealt with a person named Don who was excellent.

Look at the site and know what you need for your particular hitch. My KingPin is a Lippert medium numbered 1116 that is for the Pullrite Quick Connect Plate 331705 size for my 3400RL.

See their website and give 'em a call. Good Luck. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also have the Reese rails so will check that out. The only thing I saw at the Hijacker site is that some of the Pullrite rails for non autoslider hitches can be used.

I wonder if that 800 included the rails and all necessary mounting hardware.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #20
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Steve,

I do not recall if the $800 price I found for the Hijacker included the rails. As for using the pullrite, well I was very frustrated at first. The hitch was certainly less forgiving than my old Reese(I had a long bed at that time.) Once I really got the hang of it I began to realize what a great investment I had made. I love the way the kingpin is completely surrounded and can not possibly slip.

I got my pullrite for a steal as I bought it at the same time as I bought the truck. As part of the deal for the truck I negotiated dealer cost on the hitch and $80 total for install (their offer price for labor not mine)

Sean