Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
jerrygering
Established Member

M.O.C. #7210
Banks diesel modifications

Has anyone had experience with Banks' claims regarding horsepower and mileage increases, as well as durbility

jerrygering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've had the Banks Power Pack system on my '95 F-250 since January of 2002. I don't know about the claims because I haven't had it tested but it sure has a lot more power and torque than when stock. Gained 2 mpg. We climb the steepest hills including the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming without any trouble. Sure, we gear down but I don't have any worry about making it over the hills. Have NEVER had any problems with it. When you tromp the accelerator it will set you right back against your seat.

There are those who will say that the Banks System destroyed their transmission. But that's very hard for me to believe when I compare all the miles we've put on our truck (over 125,000 since installation) and have not had a problem.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Put a Banks system on my 03 Oct 06. No problems. I would have the MPG if I did not play so much with the power. LOL.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
You do not say how old your truck is. IMHO, with my 07 Duramax, I don't need any more HP and my mileage is fine. I have a 100k warranty and GM says if I mess with their engine my warranty may be void...therefore I'm 100% stock.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I have a 05 LLY and use the ottomind 6. It works great, reads any codes and it works with the tranny. So it will not supply to much power to cause slippage, Oh also as an econo mode for saving fuel. Run it for over a year and no problems. If you need work on truck at dealer it is easily removed about 10 min. Some dealers have no problem with it.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I had the full package, less the larger radiator, on my previous 2000 Ford 7.3L. There was a world of difference with Hp and torque gain. I put it on the Dyno and it did register some major gains in the neighbor hood of 100+ hp and approx 220 Ft Lbs torque. However, I am not really sure if the cost was actually worth it. I did not see not real gains in MPG because I played too much. I traded a couple years later for the current Ford so the longevity test is not a factor. I think the newer trucks have more than necessary means plus the transmissions are much better on the newer too. I had the transcommand from banks and could really feel the jake brake when it kicked in, but really like the newer truck operations better.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you're one of those who trades vehicles often, I wouldn't put the Banks system on. However, if you're like me and know you're not going to trade, that you're going to keep your truck a loooooong time, then go for it. When I look back and count the miles and realized I get 2 mpg more than when I was stock, the system more than paid for itself. But again, the only way you can recoup is to keep the vehicle a long time after mod.

Orv
Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have the Banks six gun, exhaust and brake. Love the power. My 2002 would not pull a lot of the grades around here without dropping to 3rd or some times 2nd gear. Now have no problem holding 55mph. Now if you have the newer chevys you may not need it. I have had the set up for about 1 1/2 yrs, and about 15,000 miles with no ill effects.
Good luck
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Why bother, the newer Ford's will pull an elephant off it's feet and down the street. 55 up a steep hill with the Monty is easy. Banks systems cost big bucks, plus I wouldn't be willing to risc the 100K guarantee. Just my opinion.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by daneboy

Why bother, the newer Ford's will pull an elephant off it's feet and down the street. 55 up a steep hill with the Monty is easy. Banks systems cost big bucks, plus I wouldn't be willing to risc the 100K guarantee. Just my opinion.
Jerry
I wouldn't recommend the Banks system for the newer trucks eithr until it's proven that it would help. For the older trucks, they (the Banks systems) have proven themselves on the Ford and Dodge in particular. I don't know how they worked on GM products, but I do know for certain that the power upgrade provided for the older trucks is unbelievable.

Orv
Old 01-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
If I could afford to dish out $50 thou plus every couple of years for a new toy it would be great, but I have to keep my 01 Dodge 6spd which has a full banks system. You can find other mods for your truck that are not a banks system. I try to keep up with new mods as they come to market and I can afford them. I love to tinker under the hood. I can keep up with or even pass some of the new don't touch anything under the hood rigs because the computer will cheese on you, that are on the road today. I always wonder how much of a $50.000 truck is the 100K guarantee? The old diesel pickups are like the muscle cars of the 60's &70's you could work on them and they would still be worth money. Look at them today at car shows. The new diesel pickups will be like the new cars are today that are hooked to a computer all throw away after their time because you can't work on them without messing up the computer.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
If I could afford to dish out $50 thou plus every couple of years for a new toy it would be great, but I have to keep my 01 Dodge 6spd which has a full banks system. You can find other mods for your truck that are not a banks system. I try to keep up with new mods as they come to market and I can afford them. I love to tinker under the hood. I can keep up with or even pass some of the new don't touch anything under the hood rigs because the computer will cheese on you, that are on the road today. I always wonder how much of a $50.000 truck is the 100K guarantee? The old diesel pickups are like the muscle cars of the 60's &70's you could work on them and they would still be worth money. Look at them today at car shows. The new diesel pickups will be like the new cars are today that are hooked to a computer all throw away after their time because you can't work on them without messing up the computer.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
When you buy Banks, Dr.Performance, etc you are paying for a lot of advertizing. Go to a diesel truck forum for your brand of truck and see what people are using. You can get the same results for a lot less money. If your truck is still under warranty it's probably best to leave it alone.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #14
jerrygering
Established Member

M.O.C. #7210
Original post regarding Banks system
I have GMC 6.6 Duramax, 2006. It has 50,000 mile warranty, 21,000 of which is used up.
Regarding the "plenty of power" comments, yes it will pull the 14,000 lbs, and once you reach 55 its easy going.
But it certainly would be nice to have some more power between 25 & 50, especially if you are on any kind of grade. I agree with the comment, there is no such thing as too much power.
Also, the Branson, MO hill climbs in 3rd gear, would be nicer in 4th gear. This summer I'm heading to Grand Canyon and Yellowstone, where I understand the climb out of Salt Lake is very steep.

I like my truck, if I had bought the trailer before the truck I would have a one ton, due to GVWR marginal issues, but I have what I have and don't see trading, nor buying a different tow vehicle any where in the future. I am not dissatisfied with the towing, but would like a little more power and a mileage gain would not be bad either.

Thanks for the coments.
jerrygering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Jerry G,
I thought the GM trucks had a 100K mile guarantee on the engine, am I mistaken?
Jerry B
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by daneboy

Jerry G,
I thought the GM trucks had a 100K mile guarantee on the engine, am I mistaken?
Jerry B
I got an 07 Classic in Aug 2006. The 100k warranty came out just after I got my truck, and I (assume all 07s) was grandfathered to be included in the new warranty.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I started out the a Banks Stinger system. Basically big exhaust, chip, guages and transcommand. I love to tinker and have upgraded way beyond. I loved the extra horses and torque. It made a huge difference in towing. The transmission no longer needed to downshift on hills. Look at dieselstop.com for Ford mods. Lots of opinions.

Oh I have 128,000 miles. Many go well beyond 250,000 miles with engine modifications.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #18
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I have the 2007 Chev Classic 3500 dually. Plenty of power, had no problems towing any of the steeper grades here in the west.
the engine tranny combo has 100,000 mile warranty, therefore I don't see any reason to mess with it.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #19
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
One precaution about after market add ons. The Ford 6.0's are famous for blowing head gaskets, and Ford will try to void warrantee any way they can, as well as Chevy and Dodge. If they see it or find it in the computer history, beware. Been there, done that. Banks said sorry too.
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote