Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #21
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Since we are not retired as yet, it seems that we are always in a rush to get to where we are going (away football games, home to see the in-laws) so 700 to 800 miles per day is the norm. However, it is a very rough 700 miles -- we don't enjoy the drive and we leave at 0-dark early and arrive at 0-dark early hours to boot (I'm sure the folks in the camp ground have wonderful things to say about us -- I do apologize to those I meet later that morning!!).

I look forward to the day when we can do a reasonable day's travel and I think 250 to 300 is about right. 5 to 6 hours on the road is about all the body can take and still have some 'energy' to see the local area enjoyably.

So, given the grandson, I'd say figure 3 to 5 hours max (however far that gets you) and leave a lot of time for doing things together - fishing, biking, hiking, or if the weather is fussing - just doing a puzzle together. (It will save a bunch on fuel costs as well .)

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

We also try to avoid interstates where possible. You get to see so much more off the interstate.
Like low bridge clearances, diesel stops that are hard to enter or few and far between, travels through downtown....
Low bridge clearances have never been a problem for us and we do mostly US highways and some state highways, depending on the state. Motor Carriers Atlas. And they're pretty well marked, anyhow. Downtowns? Not us. Not in big cities, anyhow. We go around. We'll jump on the interstates to get through/around the big towns. Small towns, no big deal. We're through them quickly. Much more relaxed pace on those roads. Much more interesting. Sometimes this route is longer, sometimes shorter. Who cares. We are retired. We're out to enjoy the drive. That's part of the adventure, for us. If we're truly in a hurry, like a family emergency, then we'll take interstates. Or if the weather dictates.

Diesel stops we can get into are not a problem, either. RV'ers Friend and Truckers Friend both list most of the stations that will work for us. Truly it has not been a problem.

This is one of those to each his own situations. There is no best way. It's what is best for you.

As an example, when we left KC after Thanksgiving, our first destination was SW of Ft. Worth. We could have done I-35 nearly all the way and done it in two relatively easy days (700 miles total). But, we chose to take US highways down the western side of Missouri into Arkansas, cut over to Siloam Springs, AR on a state highway, then down the eastern edge of Oklahoma. Did you know there are mountains in Oklahoma? I sure didn't. What a beautiful and relaxing drive. We could have done that in two days but chose to do it in three to give ourselves time to leave later, stop earlier, and stop when we saw something interesting.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Old GI

Thanks for all the input, I think we will try to do 250 per day. It will still get us to our destination about the same time, after a week in D.C. we promised him a trip to Hershey, Pa., to the Chocolate factory then south hopefully through some mountains, he is a native Floridian and has never seen mountains.
If you have the chance, take him to Colorado. If he's never seen mountains he'll be awed by these. Colorado's mountains are absolutely gorgeous. Even just driving Interstate 70 between Denver and the Utah border is stunning.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #24
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Well stated sreigle. I agree with you. I haven't run into those problems in my 30 years of RVing. If I had to rely only on Interstates to get me to where I wanted to go, I would give up RVing and take a car.
You are also correct about the mountains in Colorado. We get a lot of visitors here.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #25
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Old GI

Thanks for all the input, I think we will try to do 250 per day. It will still get us to our destination about the same time, after a week in D.C. we promised him a trip to Hershey, Pa., to the Chocolate factory then south hopefully through some mountains, he is a native Floridian and has never seen mountains.
If you have the chance, take him to Colorado. If he's never seen mountains he'll be awed by these. Colorado's mountains are absolutely gorgeous. Even just driving Interstate 70 between Denver and the Utah border is stunning.
I just had an email from a friend in CO...it is stunning now...all white with parts of I70 closed.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes there are mountains in Oklahoma.. Would you have passed through the Arbuckles..been all over them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I have put a new saying on the back of our Monty, "The journey is the destination" now all I have to do is live by it. Having only had the Monty for less than a year I am still trying to relearn what is a resonable distance to travel in a day.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Yes there are mountains in Oklahoma.. Would you have passed through the Arbuckles..been all over them.
Might be. I remember the Ouachita Mountains but don't remember the names of the other ranges. US 259 was one of the highways.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #29
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The Ouachita Mts. are in the SE part of Oklahoma west of Waldron and Mena, Ar. SR 1 between US 259 in Oklahoma and Mena, Ar. is called Tallimena Scenic Drive. I don't think I would pull the Montana on this road but a beautiful drive especially in the fall. We spend time each October near Waldron for a Bluegrass Festival up in these mountains.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 AM   #30
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Steve, Charlie, and other friends,

Since we live on US 259, I thought I'd jump in here. Yep! Those are the Ouachita Mountains and the northern terminus of US 259 is right there in Eastern Oklahoma where it 'splits off' from US 59 (BTW, it rejoins US 59 at Nacogdoches, Texas).

My very first trip pulling a fifth-wheel was up to Wilhelmina State Park near Mena, AR. Having no previous experience I let the speed fall pretty slow before a very long, steep upgrade. I did make it up, but told one of the more experienced RVers of my concern about a possible trip to Colorado. He asked, "Which way did you come in here?" When I told him that I came up from Oklahoma, he replied confidently, "If you came up here from Oklahoma, you won't have any trouble with the mountains in Colorado!"

Well, we've never had any trouble with the mountains in Colorado, and we have been back a number of times to Queen Wilhelmina State Park with our fifth-wheels. I recommend it (and that whole area of Oklahoma and Arkansas) to all our RV friends. It is very popular in the Fall season, so the RV park is filled on most Fall week-ends. There is a fine restaurant and lodge also in the park.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:05 AM   #31
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Getting back to daily trip mileage, it seems I travel my 500 the first day JUST TO GET AWAY FROM KANSAS as quickly as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then, slow down and smell the roses.
Now, I know these comments are going to cause PARROTHEAD to scold me... But she and I have had fun with this issue for a couple of years now..
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #32
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
When planning our RV first cross country trip, I planned 500 miles a day (down from 900 to 1,000 not towing). Time was not really an issue. 2nd day out we discovered 500 miles a day was too ambitious for us. After talking with several veterans we adopted three rules: 1. 8x4- 8 hours or 400 miles, what ever comes first; 2. Lets stop--One of us voices a desire to stop at "tourist trap" you know like Jack Daniels Distillery or the Doll Factory (your GS may want to stop at South of the Border) we stop no questions; and 3. There are no rules.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:54 AM   #33
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Joe-n-Doe,

I like your rules. I especially like rule number 3!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #34
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
We have only made one long trip ( Northern Virginia to San Antonio and back)and we had to be there on the day 3 and back in 3 days. We did two 600 mile plus days and one 350 ish day leaving very early and arriving at the next CG around 3-4 PM. Very hectic; not too many stops. I wouldn't recommend it unless your calendar is pinched due to number of day off from that dreaded "work".
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #35
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I think that the Safety issue is major. I know talking to MUDCHIEF we have both many time's drove well over 500 miles in one day. I know most of us can do that kind of heavy driving when needed. I do believe that after 350 - 400 miles you pushing a safety concern, or at least I would be. I did find if a little diffecult to find a decent campground at exactly 350 miles or 400. I am also one that does not like to drive 6 to 10 miles off the interstate to get to the campground. I like something close to the interstate. I know a lot of folk's are going to tell me, that I am missing some great camp grounds this way. When I am on my way out of Kansas, it's imparitive I get beyond the border as soon as possible (sorry Parrothead). The main issue is to get where you going safely and not to endanger anyone else on the highway.
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #36
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have locked into the 10 to 2 rule. We sleep late take our time getting ready and hit the road at or about 10 and drive till around 2. Some days we do an extra hour or stop an hour earlier. It works out to around 200 miles a day and we can easily go in either direction, more or less time depending on how we feel at the moment. No real schedule to lock into. We have done CGs in the 100 mile range and some in the 350 mile range.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The key theme here seems to be do whatever works for you. And for your needs. When vacationing we did high miles per day in order to minimize on the road time and maximize time at the destination. As fulltimers we have the luxury of not having to be anywhere quickly, so we don't. Usually. There are times, such as when first my Dad and then my Mom were failing and time was of the essence. We then did a lot of miles per day and stuck to interstates because I could set the cruise on 70 and stay there (yeah, I know the tires are rated for 65 mph). But, unless there is truly a need to get somewhere quickly we plan on fewer miles, maybe 200 to 250 per day. We don't leave until 9 am or so and stop around 1 or 2pm. If we see something worth stopping for enroute, we have the luxury of stopping and enjoying whatever we stopped for. It's nice, but it's not for everyone. And it's not possible for everyone. So, whatever floats your boat is right for you.