Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Diesel fuel additives - subzero

Folks, I need some advice. Just brought my F350 SD diesel up from Georgia. 1. I know I do not have winter diesel in the tank, but hope that will work out OK. 2. just found out that when temps fall below 0, nasty things can happen to diesels. What, if any, additives to folks add to the fuel to help counteract diesel gel? 3. What, if any additives do you add to help with fuel mileage? (and can items 2&3 above be mixed?)
Thanks
Bernie

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Bernie go to diesel place.com use search, there is a excellent article there
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run a fuel conditioner that is made by GM in my Duramax. It covers all of your questions. When them temps drop below zero w/o wind chill I will usually mix half a tank of diesel 1 and half tank of diesel 2.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Icehouse
Where are you? They make anti gel additives for diesels and sell them at any parts store. Up north usually they mix the fuel for you and thats what comes out of the pumps. You should buy diesel from a truck stop and they will also have anti gel there also. Dose your SD have a engine heater and if so when it gets cold plug her in.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I am currently in Anchorage, Alaska but soon to leave for Grande Prairie, Alberta down the Alcan. The plug-in for the heater I knew about. It is the fuel additives that are new to me.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I use 911 for cold weather additive. I had a gelled (sp) tank once,poured this in came back in 1/2 hour and was set to go.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:17 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I use STANADYNE, It helps with water in fuel it increases the cetane and cold filter plug point by up to 25°F. You should be able to buy it locally at diesel dealers.

http://www.mwfi.com/Fuel-Additives/p...ance_form.html
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:05 AM   #8
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Temps around here have been -18C (0F) lately. I haven't used any additives and notice no difference in starting or driving experience. I haven't used the block heater yet, my manual says it's not cold enough yet for that. When it gets colder I want to try that out though.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:45 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The primary difference I have noticed between starting the truck after being plugged in and not plugged in is the oil pressure and engine temp. Not plugged in with temps down at 8 degrees, the oil pressure will be at 90+ psi, the engine will be the same temp as the exterior. Also, the motor will sure sound all cranky and shake the truck until it starts to build some heat. Same temp with the truck plugged in and my oil pressure will be at 60 psi, the engine temp at 150 and the motor just purrs like normal. Personally, I prefer to plug the truck in to keep all the fluids warm. Sure helps the motor during those cold weather start ups which in turn should help with the longevity of the motor. This is just my personal opinion.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:14 AM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
MONTANA SKY is right about the block heater. Running it will not hurt a thing and I would say when its cold run the heater.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

The primary difference I have noticed between starting the truck after being plugged in and not plugged in is the oil pressure and engine temp. Not plugged in with temps down at 8 degrees, the oil pressure will be at 90+ psi, the engine will be the same temp as the exterior. Also, the motor will sure sound all cranky and shake the truck until it starts to build some heat. Same temp with the truck plugged in and my oil pressure will be at 60 psi, the engine temp at 150 and the motor just purrs like normal. Personally, I prefer to plug the truck in to keep all the fluids warm. Sure helps the motor during those cold weather start ups which in turn should help with the longevity of the motor. This is just my personal opinion.
Yes, I think I will start to use the block heater. Thanks for the advice.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jim,
I will be most curious to hear how your truck does once you plug it in. Let me know if you notice any difference...
Old 12-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
The information our mechanics have brought back from various seminars they have attended is to use and additive every time you fill up all year. (I work on a fire dept.) They state the new ultra low sulfur fuels do not have the lubrication needed for the engines. The new diesel fuel will also gel around 32 deg. Yes, he oil companies blend fuel for the winter here but why take the chance. Our new ladder truck costs in excess of 1.2 million. If they use it there it is good enough for me. There are several out there, I use Howe's. This is a multi-use additive which increases Cetane, helps eliminate water, prevents gelling and lubricates.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Guys,
Thanks for all the advice. I have the gas engine procedures down, but am new to having my diesel in such extreme conditions. I have noticed the Trusty Steed is quite annoyed on the cold mornings till she gets warm - but aren't we all!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #15
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Engine heater is n option, correct?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 AM   #16
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Window sticker shows it as a separate line item on my GMC, but priced @ no charge.
Front grill cover was an option and charged for.

I also use Stanadyne.
Plug in only when it gets down into single digits.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Block heater is great for those really cold mornings... now if I could only remember to unplug the darn thing before taking off...

Why no light on the dash flashing away while plugged in for those of us with a pile of broken extension cords that just keep getting shorter and shorter every year
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:03 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Tcorbitt: Next time you do that, take a picture -- in my mind's eye I see a Super Duty heading down the road, Montana followed by an electrical pole with an orange cord running along the road . Just had to mention it -- I almost pulled away one morning with mine still plugged in. Saw that orange cord hanging from the wall plug at the last moment and stopped just as it popped up and taut.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #19
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
I use a timer so on cold nights power to the cord is set for about 2 hours before starting the engine. No use to waste energy by having the TV plugged in all night.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #20
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

Folks, I need some advice. Just brought my F350 SD diesel up from Georgia. 1. I know I do not have winter diesel in the tank, but hope that will work out OK. 2. just found out that when temps fall below 0, nasty things can happen to diesels. What, if any, additives to folks add to the fuel to help counteract diesel gel? 3. What, if any additives do you add to help with fuel mileage? (and can items 2&3 above be mixed?)
Thanks
Bernie
I'd check with a Ford dealer before I started dumping additives in my fuel tank.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote