Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
5th wheel hitch attachment??

Ok the dealer who called me last week trying to sell me a 5th wheel made me a deal too good to pass up today. When I told him he had to include the hitch in the deal he said no problem. When I told him I have a hidden hitch I use for the horse trailer he told me we just need the extender from the 5th wheel hitch to go down to the ball, NOT the regular 5th wheel hitch. The first thing I said was "that will void the warranty on the 5th wheel." He said it wouldn't void the warranty and they would install the device for me. Do any of you use these 5th wheel extention hitches? I am a 5th wheel virgin so any thoughts are appreciated.
Here is a link to the extention I refered to...
http://www.bageco.com/5thadapter.htm

Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Okie Guy,

The first thing I said was "that will void the warranty on the 5th wheel."

I believe you are correct. I seem to remember that being discussed at the Spring Rally.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is my opinion. I would not accept a goose neck extension at all. Rather I would insist on a Companion Hitch from B&W. It will fit into the goose neck receiver and can be removed easily to use the bed of the truck or to pull a goose neck trailer.

I have one of these and it is a very good hitch. I find it easier to connect with than the Husky I had before. Check it out at: http://www.turnoverball.com/rv.asp

If your dealer won't go for it, I would pay the difference between the two to have this hitch. You already have half the total cost in the bed of your truck. Adding the Companion Hitch will take all of 5 to 10 minutes to install into the ball receiver, so he has zero labor cost, just the hitch, two big "U" bolts and a bolt and washer for the top of the square piece that will fit into your receiver. All that is included for the install.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Yep, What Stiles said. Works real good.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree, Stiles has the right hitch in mind.

Phil, when I bought my 3000RK the dealer in Amarillo, Jack Sizemore Traveland, told me they would install one of those gooseneck ball extensions, but I would have to sign a waiver releasing them, Keystone, and Lippert from any frame liability. I chose to use the 5th wheel hitch that was recommended by them, not the gooseneck extension. I know there is at least one company making an extension that claims it will have no adverse affect on the frame, but I don't remember which one it was.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 AM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Lonnie,

Do you have the venetian gold interior on your unit? The one I am going to purchase has this color and I am worried about that light colored carpet. Anyone else have anything to share about the light beige carpet?
Thanks
Phil
Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Regardless of color, most of the carpet Keystone uses is a solid color. That means you have to keep after it. Dianna's vision is not the greatest, so it is incumbent upon me to see and clean any spots. As soon as I see one or there is a spill, I use a 10:1 solution of Awesome and a bristle brush (a little larger than a tooth brush), add a little plain water, and then blot it up with a miracle fiber cloth.

When I traded the 2003 for the 2008, there were NO spots on the 2003 carpet. The dealers comment was, "Wow, this unit is ready to sell." Remember, we are fulltimers. With regular vacuuming and spot removal, this carpet is fairly tough.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:22 AM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks Stiles!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I asked Keystone about warranty and a goose neck hitch. They made it clear that any damage that might be attributed to the hitch would not be covered. That said, all our trailers at work are goose neck. The heaviest is 22,000 lbs. We tow them into beaches and small towns over really bad roads and we haven't had a problem.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I met a guy this summer who had purchased his Montana used and it already had the gooseneck on the rig. I checked his rig closely and I could see where the front moldings on his rig where they go down from the bedroom were pulling away from the caulk at least 1/4 inch. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he may be in for trouble because he was so excited about owning a Montana. I just told him what a great all-around rig the Montana is. Since he got the rig fairly cheap, I suspect that the previous owner knew there was a problem and neglected to tell him.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Yes Phil, thats the color we have. It's not too hard to keep clean though, the wife has a couple of rugs that pretty much cover the carpet from the door to the kitchen. We also take our shoes off when inside, unless I'm running in and out, then I just take the chewing out and go on with whatever it is I am doing.........carefully . I really don't think you will have any problems if you use a little caution.

By the way, congratulations on the new unit, I think you will be extremely happy with it, we sure are with ours.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Phil, I will comment on this carpet color in a much milder fashion than my wife would. I don't like it. Shows too much dirt.

Cheryl had Aram personally come in to our Montana during the Rally and she voiced her opinion directly. Aram assured her that they are aware of the problem and that they have already discontinued this color scheme for the Venetian Gold interior. Too late for us.

We will probably just have a carpet place put different carpet in when this wears out.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Phil DW put rugs all around in our rig it helps in cool temps and takes care of the carpet.
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Phil, don't use it!!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:32 AM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Phil,
Listen to MIMF
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have ordered the B&W 5th wheel hitch which Lonnie was talking about earlier. I wouold rather spend $700 now rather than have a bunch of problems down the road. Since this is my very first brand new trailer I want to make sure it lasts many years.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't think you will regret purchasing that B&W Companion Hitch. I really like the way mine functions.