Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Savannah Georgia Campgrounds

2004 Montana 3295
2004 F350

Hey were fixing to travel to Savannah on march 23 can anyone give me a nice campground to stay there and whats some things to see and do ?
Thanks Allen& Iris

mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I think the only one we stayed at was the KOA. it was very basic, no frills.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The state park is very nice with large sites. It doesn't have WiFi or sewer but it's in a nice setting. Steve and Vicki loved the campground on Tybee Island, don't recall the name. It has WiFi but the parking is close. But who cares, it's on the beach!

Savannah has many things to do if you're a history buff and like old architecture. There are tour buses with guides who can fill you in on all the facts of the city. Buy a two day ticket and you can get off and on at will and visit many of the old homes that are so beautiful. There are lighthouses and forts to visit and beaches to walk on and good eating'. There's the famous restaurant downtown run by Paula Dean and her two sons that are seen on TV. Savannah is a great place to visit.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Thanks for all the help from ever one we will be going on the tour we enjoy visiting new places and trying out the res trance as aim a self proclaimer food critic here in south Louisiana.so the res trance is on our list of things to do.......thanks again
Allen & Iris
Louisiana Food Critic
2004 Montana 3295 RK
2004 Ford 350
Old 03-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
We have stayed at Rivers Edge Campground on Tybee Island many times in the past. Three blocks from the beach, Two blocks from the lighthouse, and only 10 to 11 mile travel right to the heart of Savannah old town. they were upgrading the park two years ago, last time we were there. The beaches were never crowded, lots of things to do on Tybee island, and a very pretty setting for the day and to watch the lighthouse at night. Very old area in Tybee, and Savannah is always worth walking through, day or night. Try the pirate house for food (expensive), go to river street for food and drink, and make sure to visit Paula Deen at Lady and Sons restaurant. Always plenty to do and enjoy.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It was Rivers End CG on Tybee Island, just outside Savannah a few miles. I'm not sure what Judy meant by the parking was close. Our site had very reasonable distance between sites.

As for what to see and do, we spent two months there and really enjoyed the area. For some ideas, click the Our RV Travels in my signature, select 2005 Postcards, then scroll to the postcards from January 26 through March 9, 2005.

That is an area we definitely want to do again. I hope you enjoy it. The state park Judy mentioned is a very nice park. Great setting. And not far at all from town. Tybee isn't far, either. If you go to Tybee, be sure to have breakfast at The Breakfast Club. And the best hamburger in town is at the Quarter Bar and Grille.

I agree with Devildog about Paula Dean's place at Lady and Sons in Savannah. Excellent and very reasonably priced.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:27 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Great thread. We are considering Savannah on our way north in May and this thread will help out considerably.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:51 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve, when we were at Rivers End, we got one of their last spots so maybe that's why our site wasn't so desirable. But I'd go there again because of the beach access. I can't let Vicki have all the sand dollars!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #9
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Agree with Judy, we have stayed at Rivers End. A great place to stay in Savannah.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #10
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
When I was there I saw an upper area where it looks like they put permanent people. They were very close. Maybe that is where Judy was. I was in a better area at Rivers End CG like Steve.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
We were in Site #89 ... loved it! Only a 1/2 mile walk to the beach!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:04 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We loved everything about Savannah and the River's End Campground. We also enjoyed eating at a Crab Shack on Tybee Island. Can't remember the name now but it was interesting. We will be going back again for sure either this fall or next spring.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:23 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Where we went to the beach it was 1/2 mile. But you can get to the beach with a 1/4 mile walk. There is a private entrance the rv park has privilege to. Ask at the office. However, we preferred the beach down by the lighthouse. That's 1/2 mile. An easy 1/2 mile walk.

There is far too much to see and do to list it all here. Our website shows what we saw and did. I'd recommend visiting the Visitor Center in downtown Savannah. They have lots of brochures and information. Among many other things we enjoyed the free walking tour. Map and guide available at the visitor center. We did a night time ghost tour. Wormsloe Plantation (Forest Gump). And many, many other things.

Helen, we ate at a crab shack named The Crab Shack. Is this the one where you ate?

Also, don't miss The Breakfast Club in "downtown" Tybee!

The website info for the Savannah area is in the 2005 postcards (click link in my signature), January 26, 2005 through March 9, 2005 postcards.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #14
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
If you plan on going to Tybee Island campground make your reservations now. I tried to get in there after the Rally in Daytona and they are completely full. With so many RVs in Florida this year attending the rally most places on the east coast are getting booked up fast.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #15
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Thanks Everone.....
We had a wonderfully time at Ty bee island and Savannah We had to go over to StateBoros for 3 nites as Ty bee Island was full but we did get to stay there for 3 days. And we try ed the Food in Savannah
Uncle Bubbas was very good,so was the pirate House, Mrs Wilkes was not worth the 2 hour wait. But The Lady and sons ( Paula Deans ) Well you will just have to go read about it at my web site.i will say mmmmmmm ......
Thanks Ever one : South Louisiana Food Critic.
www.myspace.com Louisiana food critic
Old 04-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #16
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Alan ... tried to check out your website but it required a password.

Knew you'd enjoy Tybee/Savannah ...
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote