Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Sticky Slide

I have only a single button that activates the slides in sequence. On several occasions I had to push it numerous times before the slide sequence began. This only happened when trying to close the slides, not when opening. There often was a clicking sound coming from the pump area. Campers world told me it is normal because depending on where the fluid is in the lines it takes time to get to the first slide in the sequence. This doesn't seem right. If there is fluid in the lines shouldn't the lines be full and activate immediately? Wouldn't air in the lines prevent the slides from working period? Unit is a 2007 RL3400.

Thanks for all replies.

Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The fellow at Camping World has no idea what he is talking about. Your hydraulic motor is reversible, the direction is controlled by a solenoid, when you push the switch to extend the slides it activates one side of the solenoid and sends power to the motor to make it turn in the correct direction for that action. When you push the switch to retract it activates the same solenoid but the other half of it thus sending power to the motor to turn in the opposite direction.
I would check the electrical connections on the solenoid as well as the motor, it is also possible you might have a solenoid that is going bad.
If you don't know where to find this, look for a power cable going from the battery to a auto reset breaker, then a cable going to the solenoid, there you will see two wires going from the solenoid to the motor. The switch activates this solenoid, so check all those connections. The clicking sound tells me there is either a loose connection or the solenoid is failing, and has nothing to do with "where the fluid is in the line" since it is a closed circuit and the lines are always full.
There is a remote possibility the motor might be failing but I don't believe it is since it turns fine in one direction.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

The fellow at Camping World has no idea what he is talking about. Your hydraulic motor is reversible, the direction is controlled by a solenoid, when you push the switch to extend the slides it activates one side of the solenoid and sends power to the motor to make it turn in the correct direction for that action. When you push the switch to retract it activates the same solenoid but the other half of it thus sending power to the motor to turn in the opposite direction.
I would check the electrical connections on the solenoid as well as the motor, it is also possible you might have a solenoid that is going bad.
If you don't know where to find this, look for a power cable going from the battery to a auto reset breaker, then a cable going to the solenoid, there you will see two wires going from the solenoid to the motor. The switch activates this solenoid, so check all those connections. The clicking sound tells me there is either a loose connection or the solenoid is failing, and has nothing to do with "where the fluid is in the line" since it is a closed circuit and the lines are always full.
There is a remote possibility the motor might be failing but I don't believe it is since it turns fine in one direction.

Great explanation!! Learn something new nearly every day here. Thanks.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Thanks IRLP Guy. Makes total sense. I'll have to have a "word" with Camping World.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Update. Campers World took a "second look" at my slide issue and agreed the first diagnosis was incorrect. Parts are on order and will be covered by extended warranty.

Thanks again for the input.

Neverhome
Old 11-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
You could very well have a bad circuit breaker. Many here have had this problem. The slide will start and stop repeatedly. I replaced my circuit breaker 40 amps with 80 amps and had no more troubles. It is located on the back wall area behind battery.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:05 AM   #7
Dfeller

M.O.C. #19304
We had the same issue on the kitchen side but when extending the slideout.. they gave us several different breakers to try and it ended up being a mismatched motor.. it was not geared for the weight on that side and a new motor had to be replaced. No problems so far.
Dfeller is offline   Reply With Quote