Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Today is the day............

............I start the shackle, wet bolt, and MOR/ryde rubber replacement project. All the tools are rounded up along with the jacking and blocking materials. The new parts have been laid out. The compressor is plugged in and set. Now all I have to do is finish my coffee and just go do it. Too bad I am not down in the RGB so I might get a helper.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
You should have this down pat by now Stiles. Still running on my old shackles.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Hope the job goes well for you. I`m sure you`ll let us know.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Any chance of pictures of the project? I am contemplating this job sometime in the next year or so.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Let it be known that doing a shackle and wet bolt job on any of the triangular equalizer is much easier than on a MOR/ryde (RE). If you also have to replace the rubber spring because of delamination, lets just say it is challenging.

If you think your OEM MOR/ryde (RE) will reduce your need for a shackle job, you are in for a disappointment. After 10,000 miles on this 2008 Big Sky with the MOR/ryde (RE), I found elongated shackle holes and worn bolts, especially those bolts that connect the shackle to the equalizer. I have not yet gotten to the spring eyes to see what they look like.

If you need the wet bolt kit for the MOR/ryde (RE), It will run just over $200. You will have to replace the two "Z" brackets on the rubber spring to take the wet bolt. Replacing the "Z" brackets is not an easy task.

In addition to the shackle issue, I found that the street side rear most spring bracket that is welded to the frame sheared off at the weld. If I had not been doing the shackle job I would not have found the broken bracket. In the near term, the broken spring bracket is the most serious issue, but all of it demands repair.

I am so grateful that we were not on the road. Of course this discovery would happen on a Friday so that support services are diminished until Monday. I guess that will give me time to formulate questions for MOR/ryde and Keystone.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Glad you found that broke spring bracket. That could have been a big problem while traveling. After others have had problems I check those things often. Just some more of that cheap China steel.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:55 AM   #7
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

stiles watson

Please keep us posted on this repair and update, if you can it would be great if you can post some pic's.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:44 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Why are we not surprised at your discoveries, Stiles? At least you are on top (under?) of it and getting it right before a catastrophic failure. Good luck, and keep us posted. Glad your rig is in good hands!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is a good thing I knew something about doing a shackle job. MOR/ryde did not put any instructions in the box of parts. Parts from Dexter always included a detailed instruction sheet. I got the street side done, so now just waiting for the welder. He is supposed to come Monday. He sounded very competent on the phone.

Taking the old Rubber spring off was more difficult than putting the new on on. There was greater difficulty aligning the MOR/ryde components than with the other shackle jobs I have done. We will see what challenges the curb side holds.