Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 AM   #21
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I slowed down to 64mph (yeah, I know 64?) last year before our trip to Oregon. I noticed a big change in mpg and now that the diesel prices have reached the 4 dollar mark, you can bet that 55 will be the max speed starting this season!
We will be interested in some of those air tabs too!

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is no doubt that we get better MPG at lower speeds. We do much better at 55MPH than 63/65 MPH and boost at 10 or below. I am going to further research those air tabs.There are some questionable areas between the truck cab and the nose of the camper that need investigated.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #23
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The air tabs come in either black or white. I did not paint mine but I think the color will eventually fade somewhat. They advertise that they can be painted prior to installation.

Almost all of the info required, if not on the web site, airtab.com, can be answered by their tech department. Don't expect any helpful info from the order takers, because that's all they are. There's also quite a discussion on some of the other RV web sites. Some claim all sorts of improved fuel economy while others seem to be more conservative in their claims. There are a lot of comments, from air tab users, regarding the reduced or eliminated turbulence from the wake of passing trucks and also the reduction in dirt on the rear of their trailers/rvs.

I never run over 60 unless I'm speeding up for a hill and on our last trip I tried to hold it at 55. I don't want to be in a position of having to panic stop if one of these idiots cut in front of me.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
These were just featured last week on RVTV (Outdoor Channel), Website myrvtv.com. Designer was previously a flight engineer, and originally the design was to stop the wind effect during rain or wet roads on those following trucks, RV's, etc. Looked pretty neat, and they installed them directly on the roof.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe that putting Air Tabs on our truck roofs will not be beneficial in most cases. Note Air Tab's special notes on the bottom of their web page:

For tractors without a top fairing: If you look at the tractor/trailer from the front (head on) and you are able to see more than 24 inches of the trailer, then Airtabs is not appropriate for the tractor roof. By adding a fairing that matches the trailer height and then adding Airtabs you will see a significant benefit. If you have questions, please call (800) 475-2155.

If you stand in front of our pickups, you will definitely see more than 24 inches between the cab roof and the front top of our Montanas. Unless you have a very tall cab deflector...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #26
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
However, there may be an advatage when your not towing. If you read all the "stuff" the bed of your truck needs a cover if your going to equip it with airtabs. Otherwise the wind just goes into the bed unless you don't have a tail gate or have a louvered one. On the website there is a pick up with air tabs on his roof. It may or may not be worth the extra bucks.

I'm still concerned about them being on the RV roof.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #27
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
If you want a chuckle, google air tab not airtab. There are only a couple of postings for airtab but tons about air guitar. If you google airtab you'll find tons of airtab stuff and not just from the company. So in the future I will try to reference airtab and not air tab. Twang!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is going to take a expert in aerodynamics to figure out the problems in installing these on the truck/camper...and we do have one of those on the forum..
Old 04-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #29
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Sounds like this has graduated to something more than I care to waste my time on.. Buy them or don't. It's that simple.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #30
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

.... If you read all the "stuff" the bed of your truck needs a cover if your going to equip it with airtabs. Otherwise the wind just goes into the bed unless you don't have a tail gate or have a louvered one....
I fixed the problem of the bed wind when running empty by installing a Roll-N-Loc toneau cover.
A little on the pricey side but I've had it on for 3-4 weeks now and one trip out rolled back with the Hanna attached. I close it and keep cooler and other items from view. Worth it for my conveniences.

I had thougt about the airtabs but the hole the money is pouring into is getting to deep for the pocketbook.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The turbulence in the bed is what concerns me.I have done some experimenting and there is plenty of turbulance back there. Don't know if the air tabs can solve that problem or not.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #32
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Rich- I would think if the airtabs are put on the sides and top of the cab of the TV and as close as the fiver sits to that cab the airtabs would divert the wind around and over the Monte. The same as it does on the back of the trailer or Monte to not create that air pocket. JMHO!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote