Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
Converter / Inverter relationship

Came home from Texas and parked by the house, Went to check on things a week later and found the inverter had tripped the fuse between the inverter and Positive on battery and the control panel display should battery down to 1/3. Freezer temp had risen from 4 to 13.

Reset the Fuse started the inverter and the converter showed charging in storage mode. Manuel set converter to charge (rapid light flashing). Metered all points and all was 13.4. Only 1 light on the control panel display.

After 2 days the battery back to full charge, inverter running, and converter back to storage mode Freezer back to 4 degrees.

The control panel shows only one light for battery level.

Where does the control panel get its reading from as it appears to be what is falling.

Joe Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you are referring to those led lights and snall push buttons on the panel used for battery level as well as tank levels...that is junk equipment and not reliable to any degree. Just looks at 12vdc on back of panel also used on switches for switch lights, etc.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Joe, in my first trailer I had a similar issue with the battery not showing charged on the monitor panel. I tested the battery with a multi meter and like yours the battery was full. I then removed the monitor panel and tested the voltage there and saw it was different, so I knew I was loosing voltage somewhere in between. start at the battery and work your way to each connection until you find the drop in voltage, my guess is you wont have very far to go. My problem was at the first connection. The battery goes thru a thermal self resetting breaker bolted to the trailer frame. one side was good, and the other side had a drop in voltage. took the rubber boot off it and it was corroded. went to remove it and it fell apart from corrosion. replaced the breaker and monitor panel read full again.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:25 AM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Those panels work very well when installed properly.

Too bad Keystone still hasn’t figured out how to install them and the associated components.

Ours has been working correctly for years after I got the manufacturer of the unit on the phone and they walked me thru the trouble shooting process and I corrected the incorrect installation.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote