Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Escape route for the Cooling AC air....

Having been pretty much cooped up in the rig because of the 90° plus days I haven't been doing a whole lot outside. Yesterday afternoon I had to get into the basement. When I opened the door I noticed the basement was quite cool. I went to figuring out where this cool air could be coming from. After a bit of investigating I found what I believe to be the problem and we will all have this problem.

The slotted kick plates on the steps up to the bedroom are actually return air vents for the furnace. As cool AC air settles it also flows thru these vents into the furnace area and into the basement compartments. I removed the vents and, on the backside, taped on some insulation and re-installed them. Not sure how much of an improvement this will make but every little bit helps.

Of course, IF you do this remember to remove this insulation when it's again time for the furnace. For us that won't be until February if at all.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:41 AM   #2
epask
Established Member

M.O.C. #9460
GREAT IDEA ! I'll make sure to do that before we head out to Florida later this month. Do you have a single AC unit? If so does it keep up?

Ed & Marie
epask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
No, I have 2 and yes we do run both. With the temps in the mid 90s and humidity also hi and we are sitting in the sun I can keep the temp inside in the hi 70s.
With just the rear AC we'd be in the lo 80s
At night we just run the bedroom unit.

Where in Florida are you heading?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That makes sense since the A/C has its own venting and the colder the air, the quicker it would probably scoot out the vents.

How about an insulated cover with fasteners so it can be removed when no longer needed? It might also help remember that it's on if you can see it everytime you go up the steps.

With only one A/C right now, I need anything to stop the escape of valuable cold air and will probably try this out next time out.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
bobivy
Established Member

M.O.C. #9557
I have a piece of cardboard I cut to fit the space. It goes in during the A/C season and out during the heating season. FWIW, I also have cardboard cut outs for the floor vents during A/C season.
bobivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Personally I just let the basement area cool, thats my doghouse and escape room when the DW has had it up to HERE with me and my retirement humor, right Wayne. (I got the idea from him).
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I kinda like having some cool air get into that locker since I have some spray cans of various chemicals stored in there. With two ac units onboard it doesn't affect us any that we would notice.

I have a remote temperature sensor mounted in the water connection center, mostly so I can monitor the temperature there in cold weather. We also have a remote sensor mounted outside under the overhang. These show that in summer the locker stays cooler than outside temperature and stays warmer in the winter. At -5F it never gets below about 36 in the water connection center. Right now it is 82 outside and 76 in the water connection center so the locker itself is probably a bit cooler than that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I removed the slotted vents on the steps and installed a piece of 2" foam and it helped a lot with the basement.. I also installed 2" foam on the access doors to the basement..After all the side walls on the Monty are 2 " thick and the access doors are 3/4" thick.. like they say every little bit helps.. I also installed 2" foam on the rear access door to the storage area on the door side of our unit.. 3000RK.. That one makes a big difference when the sun shines on it for sure.. no heat coming up thru the counter top or access to the garbage container..
flw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
I use magnetic sheets to close off the metal floor vents when not in use. They are very thin and do not get knocked off. They also help keep anything from spilling or dropping into the floor vents. The magnetic sheets are the same as we use for magnetic signs on vehicles.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I did the same thing the first time i found out i was cooling the basement. I also placed some insulation in the heater vents. these openings also go to the basement through the ductwork. yes every little bit helps.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
At $.17/kw hr in FL this winter, I will be blocking ALL escape routes for my electrically produced cool comfort. And, no, I did not say "Southern Comfort". (They still make that stuff???)
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don't have the vents in my steps like you all do so I guess I won't worry about that as of now anyway!
Yes Dave they still make Southern Comfort and I have a great recipe for it that makes a great summer smoothy and cooly! Let me know if you'd like it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry, Ron, got sick on that stuff in college. Kinda ruined my appetite for it. Long story - not for here.

I only have the one grate in our 2007 3400. A year or so after that, Montana went to a 2-grate system after their engineers determined that the one grate system was "just barely adequate" for the heating return duct (personal conversation with a "high ranking" Montana official a couple of Rallies ago).

Also, Montana started putting their converter under the stairs after my model year (I assume they still have it there). So I am sure that was another reason for increasing the cooling area by going to 2 stairs with grate openings.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We won't be putting any insulation on our grate because we converted ours to a side swinging door and use the space as a shoe locker. Vicki's idea. I'm labor.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Steve, I notice a throw rug on your steps so for all intent and purpose you have covered the vent keeping the cooler air inside and not allowing it to go into the return air and basement.

BTW- I put hinges on the bottom of that same panel and use that area to store the vacum hose and attachments.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Looks nice, Glenn. The rug you see is a runner that goes all the way up and over the laundry chute. It's cut and trimmed so the chute door will open and is screwed down to that door. It's also screwed into the steps and risers. Just enough screws to keep it in place but not so many to make it difficult to remove and replace. When opening that door I just swing the runner up out of the way.

The runner only covers the top half of the return vent and it out away from it enough that the entire vent still can draw air for the furnace.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
These rigs are sieves. I cover all openings when that particular system (heat/air) is not running.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You guys are planning on clicking on the Show and Tell link for this Fall Rally, right?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dave, my rig is always available for Show and Tell. Whether any of the rallies has a scheduled Show and Tell or not, if anyone at anytime wants to see my mods they are always welcome to stop by.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We won't be at the Fall rally, Dave. We will be at the Spring rally in Texas next year, though.