Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Good Sam Emergency Assistance +

I just received an offer to join Good Sam EA+ for $109.00 annually. It sounds pretty good but I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with the program. Any input or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Check their website. They usually have a price of $89.00 for the first year for new members. We have it but haven`t needed to use it.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had it for several years and used it once with good service and no problems. We found that most all of those programs provide the same service for about the same price. We now have Coach-Net but have not used it yet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good Sam EA+ has at least two competitors, SkyMed and Medical Air Services Association (MASA). We have MASA. If I were buying now, I would have to check out all three before committing. Whatever you buy, be sure to check out whether it cover international travel. If it is only good in the USA.....well you see what I mean. MASA is world wide. GSEA+ may be too, but check them out and compare apples to apples.

We did not have MASA when Dianna broke her leg in Canada. Medicare doesn't work there except under certain very restricted conditions. I really had to scramble to get her to Houston, TX and then go back to Toronto, CN to get the truck and Niagara Falls, New York to get the RV. Air ambulance and getting my rig to our home site would have been covered if I had. Getting me where I needed to be would have been included.

Another source is Coach-Net. They sell a combined package for road service and medical assistance. It is called Platinum Plus. I think it is $100.00 to 110.00 a year and with a three year commitment, there is a discount. If you are a member of Escapees, there may be another discount.

My experience tells me that med-evac service is important for us as an aging RVers.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Rich,
Why did you switch from Good Sam to Coach-Net?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We had to have a M/H towed once. I can say the only problem I had was getting them to tell me what the expenses came to. I was curious because I wanted to know how much I had saved by taking out the policy. Well I never did find out what the cost was but they were there when I needed them and it didn’t cost me a penny out of my pocket. I would guess they are still recuperating their cost from my annual fees.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Just renewed Good Sam's ERS online. Well, I say renewed, but I actually got the 89 buck deal. I enrolled with our new address here, and they gave me the new customer price. Only thing I didn't like about there service was they didn't want to haul the TV to a GM dealer. Said I would have to pay more. Well, the tow guy took it there for me as it was actually closer. Way I understand it, GS has their on service centers they use, so they are probably contracted to carry your TV there. I figured the others might well be the same way. I decided to just stay with GS since everything else was fine.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You asked Rich and I can't answer for him, but I get very tired of being constantly bombarded with sales come-ons from Good Sam. When I switched to Coach-Net, they leave you alone. They have always provided every service as promised. I have used them five times for a variety of services. They always check back to see if the services were provided as expected. That is not to say that GSEA+ wouldn't do the same. My preference is Coach-Net. Lay the plans side-by-side and compare (including the fine print), then choose the one that you like.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There is a difference between Good Sam ERS and Good Sam EA+. Let's talk apples and apples.

Emergency Road Service (ERS) has to do with your vehicles. The $79 fee covers your Rig and your TV. The $109 fee (platnium) covers all your vehicles.

Emergency Assistance Plus (EA+) covers the family for medical emergencies, mostly transportation to providers. It has nothing to do with your RV or TV road service.

Go to their site and check me out.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Jim..I switched for no particular reason.I do things like that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

There is a difference between Good Sam ERS and Good Sam EA+. Let's talk apples and apples.

Emergency Road Service (ERS) has to do with your vehicles. The $79 fee covers your Rig and your TV. The $109 fee (platnium) covers all your vehicles.

Emergency Assistance Plus (EA+) covers the family for medical emergencies, mostly transportation to providers. It has nothing to do with your RV or TV road service.

Go to their site and check me out.
Stiles, I have been to one of the MASA lectures and IF, I remember correctly the MASA was definitely more than the EA+. Correct me if I am wrong. If I am correct, there seems to be no comparison between MASA and EA+. MASA seems to be EA+ on steroids with a correspondingly high premium......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When we bought the MASA plan, neither Good Sam nor Coach-Net Platinum were on the market. Our choices were SkyMed or MASA. We chose MASA and bought a life time membership. I don't think there is a plan that compares to MASA. However, if I were to purchase today, I would strongly consider the Coach-Net Platinum because they combine the medical emergency service and the emergency road service in a single plan. Their premium is the most reasonable. But you must look at the benefits and compare apple to apples.

At the time we bought MASA, we were doing some international travel. MASA covered the international travel for medical emergency or return of remains in case of death. Since we have a life membership, any discussion is moot for us. I reiterate, you have to read and understand what is and is not covered to make an informed decision.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Gee whiz Stiles. When people say "break a leg" to wish you good luck, would you please tell your wife they don't mean literally? In other words if you DO break a leg, then now you have had BAD luck. Then doing it in a "foreign" country, horrors, what a hassle. Good thing it didn't happen in Mexico. I hear English is a second language there.

Ugh, we have Blue Cross. They don't even cover us here very well. I really need to find something better, but I am so lazy and fortunately in pretty good health. Plus I am too young for Medicare.

Good news. I hear the government is finally talking socialized medicine and man, are the Insurance companies miffed. The good news is that everyone might get health coverage, the bad news is that the quality might suffer even more. Let's not hold our breaths, this probably won't happen soon enough.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Art,

The purpose of MASA or SkyMed and like coverage is to get you back "home" where your medical insurance (Blue Cross, Aetna, Humana, or Medicare, etc.) can take over and your support system (family and friends) can assist you.

It is rare for a medical policy to cover air evacuation or air ambulance especially in a foreign country. Blue cross certainly won't get your RV and TV back to your home if you are hurt or sick. That's what MASA does.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Stiles has MASA and we have Sky-Med. Both good plans. Not a whole lot of difference that we could see. We went with Sky-Med because an Escapee friends wife was dying and needed to be transported to where she wanted to go to die. Sky-Med air evacuated her without any hassle. Take your choice. But don't mix up these two plans with any emergency roadside service. That's different.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #16
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We went with SkyMed. I called them and they told me that if we went to a forign country to tell them before hand and they could cover you. It was a real toss up between sky med and MASA.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote