Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 AM   #81
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I know you are not trying to start an argument and I appreciate your comments.
The DRW trucks are given more time to accomplish a given task there by holding them to a lower standard. If they were held to the same standard their tow capacity would be reduced.
What I think is the tow standards aren't a very indicator of how well these trucks perform the way we use these them. We need to know how stable they are on the road at interstate speeds. How well they stop at those speeds not in the Walmart parking lot, what happens when you hit a 50 MPH wind burst, what happens when we haft to make a sudden move. The J2807 standards is all there is but they tell you nothing that really help us.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:24 AM   #82
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct Lynwood."The J2807 standards is all there is but they tell you nothing that really help us" When you hook up the Montana it is a completely different story.
I do not remember ever seeing a test of stopping distance with a RV attached say at a GCVW of 22,000lbs.
We were once blown across 3 lanes of interstate in New Mexico by a wind gust to the side.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:29 AM   #83
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yes Rich they aren't much help to us. We haft to do what we feel is safe for us, our vehicle and our experience and the conditions.
Lynwood
Old 08-22-2016, 05:05 AM   #84
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
That's the reason our cruise is set at 60-61, have MORryde IS and Pin Box, and 13" Kodiak Disc Brakes with GY G114 17.5 H tires.
We put a lot of miles per year and trying to be a safe as we can.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:47 AM   #85
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Interesting perspective on the SRW vs DRW conversation. https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...dually.740986/
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #86
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Everyone has their own level of comfort, experience towing, packing of unit, type of tires on TV, condition of TV, amount of goods on board, fuel levels, etc etc etc etc and preference for all the above and therefore offering up your own opinion of what someone else should buy based on your particular preferences while at the same time telling someone seeking advice that others are all wrong and should not be towing their Monty's with TV XYZ quite frankly is not helping the individual asking for honest opinions. What works for you may not work for someone else for various reasons.
In a perfect world of lots of coin we could all have big huge tow rigs for the Monty's, then another vehicle for our other uses, fact is not everyone can afford that and thus make choices that work for them. My choice was SRW, it works for me, lots of towing experience/heavy truck transport experience, and the set up I have I'm completely satisfied is safe for me to drive and safe for everyone else on the road. Hate to see people bashing others choices and also telling those looking advice what they can and can't do. All the opinions and experience should help those fit their situation into a box that works for them.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #87
Redskals
Established Member

M.O.C. #18866
We purchased a GMC 2500HD 6.6L V8 DURAMAX
Diesel SRW to Haul a Montana 362rd.
My wife and I are wondering if this truck will have the power to
Haul our Montana .
Please we need feed back...
Thank you
Redskals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #88
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
YES
That truck has ample power to pull anything you will ever hook to it.
Lynwood
Old 08-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #89
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
[quote]Originally posted by Redskals

Haul our Montana .
Thank you

This was posted by a long time MOC member which I copied into a phone note for myself. I found it to be very helpful to better clarify the towing weight issue. Sorry, I didn't get his name.

There are two things you can look up easily:
1) GVWR of your truck (drivers side door panel)

2) GVWR of your trailer (sticker on the trailer somewhere)

Steps to finding what else you need/want to know.

A) Load your truck with everything you will be likely to carry when heading out, also full of fuel and passengers, now weigh the truck alone. Weigh each axle individually so you will know later how much weight from the pin goes on the front/rear axles.(information only) The total of the axle weights = the total weight of truck.

B) Load your trailer with everything you will likely carry in it and haul it to the scale, while hooked up, weigh truck front axle, then weigh truck rear axle, finally weigh the trailer axle.

When you subtract the two truck axle weights obtained in (A) from the two truck axle weights obtained in (B) you will have your pin weight. You can compare the front/rear axle weights to know how much weight was added to each axle (information only).

Now if you add the now known pin weight to the axle weight of the trailer obtained in (B) you will have the total weight of the trailer.

Hooked up weights of truck front axle + truck rear axle + trailer axle = the total combined weight of the two vehicles.

Don't worry about front/rear GAWR of the truck as together they will exceed the GVWR of the truck anyway.

Now that you know how much your truck weighs including the pin weight you can compare that to it's GVWR.

Now that you know how much the trailer weighs pin+axle you can compare that to it's GVWR.

That is it, and all you really need to know. Are you over or under the listed capacities.

Knowing the "actual" weight (pin + axle) of the trailer is important, you can now calculate how much weight your tires are carrying and what tires will give you a safety margin and how much. All good stuff easily obtained by following the above steps first.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #90
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Redskals

Haul our Montana .
Thank you
As previously noted it will pull any Montana on the lot, in fact ANY diesel will pull ANY Montana anywhere. But when you do the numbers, you will find a 3/4 will be over it's cargo capacity. Pulling is not the problem hauling the weight in the truck is the problem.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #91
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I posted this on page 8 of this thread,,It is very simple

"This is not hard stuff Somewhere on your truck is a sticker or stickers with numbers on it on my ford it is on the drivers side door jam.

It says the GVW of the truck is 13,000 lbs.That is the max the truck fully loaded can weigh.
It says the Max carry capacity of the truck is 4268 LBS.That is what the truck can carry ..
Now you got to weigh the truck ready to hook up to the Montana/You, wife, Dog Chips, ham sandwich ,Full fuel everything you carry in the truck when towing.My Ford weighs in at 9215lbs.

Subtract that number from the GVW, in my case 13,000lbs and we get 3785LBS..Note not the 4268 CC stated on the sticker that was off the line weight.

Now the only thing that has to go IN the truck is the Pin weight.I got 3785lbs to work with .My pin weight on the 3402 is much less than that . We have a dually. Factor in the numbers for your truck not hard to do..If you are good...you are good no matter how many wheels you got
Old 08-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #92
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
She ask if their truck would pull their camper, sure but overweight. Is that a problem? Let's think about that. Which would you rather be in their Chevy a few hundred pounds over weight or a 2017 Ford pulling 32500 pounds in spec. I would take the Chevy. Yes I think the J2807 specs are BS. I'm going to stick with the old seat of pants test.
Lynwood
Old 08-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #93
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Yes it will pull the arse out of the world and BTW whether or not you have a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton srw or 1 ton dually there is absolutely no difference in the engine, transmission or brakes, the one thing different is an extra spring on the 1 ton's and of course on the dually another set of wheels on the back. Your truck will pull the Monty just fine, you might want to add a set of air bags or timbrens other than that go have fun and be amazed by how these GM's work in the hills, on the flat or wherever.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #94
Redskals
Established Member

M.O.C. #18866
We have a high country. This is a quote from the keystone website "Because High Country saves you 1300-2500 pounds compared to typically equipped fifth wheels, you can reduce wear and tear on your tow vehicle, improve fuel economy and maximize the towability of your 3/4-ton truck."
Redskals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #95
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What does the sticker with the RV GVW say????.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #96
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Redskals

We have a high country. This is a quote from the keystone website "Because High Country saves you 1300-2500 pounds compared to typically equipped fifth wheels, you can reduce wear and tear on your tow vehicle, improve fuel economy and maximize the towability of your 3/4-ton truck."
I did not look for or see the quote, but I did look at all the HC weights. ALL are over 14k...clearly out of 3/4 truck capability. I can't believe Keystone would do anything as stupid as making a post stating something that is clearly out
of specs.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:31 AM   #97
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I posted this on page 8 of this thread,,It is very simple

"This is not hard stuff Somewhere on your truck is a sticker or stickers with numbers on it on my ford it is on the drivers side door jam.

It says the GVW of the truck is 13,000 lbs.That is the max the truck fully loaded can weigh.
It says the Max carry capacity of the truck is 4268 LBS.That is what the truck can carry ..
Now you got to weigh the truck ready to hook up to the Montana/You, wife, Dog Chips, ham sandwich ,Full fuel everything you carry in the truck when towing.My Ford weighs in at 9215lbs.

Subtract that number from the GVW, in my case 13,000lbs and we get 3785LBS..Note not the 4268 CC stated on the sticker that was off the line weight.

Now the only thing that has to go IN the truck is the Pin weight.I got 3785lbs to work with .My pin weight on the 3402 is much less than that . We have a dually. Factor in the numbers for your truck not hard to do..If you are good...you are good no matter how many wheels you got
This is the only way to do it. I hear and know the brakes, engine, transmission is the same on a 2500 and 3500. But the facts are, the GAWR and GVWR sticker is what matters.

Adding air bags only make a overloaded truck sit level. The folks that preach 2500 trucks will "legally" tow a 16K 5th are doing new folks a real dis-service.

You got to weigh it and do the numbers. Not add air bags cause the wife did not want a real truck.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #98
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
jlb27537

[/quote]

Adding air bags only make a overloaded truck sit level. The folks that preach 2500 trucks will "legally" tow a 16K 5th are doing new folks a real dis-service.

[/quote]

Some of us have been preaching that for years, but with some folks it just falls on deaf ears. If I was a new Montana owner and paid a small fortune for a 3/4 diesel, only to learn I was over weight based on what I was told on this forum...I'd really be steamed.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #99
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Bottom line.... What will your truck weigh with pin in truck? If it's over the gvwr on a srw, then go dually.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #100
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I have a HC and Weight says 12,120 not 14K. That is obviously not loaded. It also says don't overload past 3250 I think.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote