Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
Cynger
Established Member

M.O.C. #32971
TV - Winegard Antenna question

We have a "new to us" 2017 Montana High Country 310RE

We can get some tv channels on the bedroom tv, but not the living room. The living room tv says "low strength antenna"

Should be be able to get some channels on the living room tv like we do on the bedroom tv? The only difference I see is the bedroom tv has a Winegard outlet and switch behind it, the living room does not.

Thanks for for any help!

Cynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 04:10 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
It's most likely a connection. You need to check all coax connections behind the plates. If you have KeyTV remove the main panel and check those connections. Not sure if they used KeyTV in 17. But that's a starting point.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
Cynger
Established Member

M.O.C. #32971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
It's most likely a connection. You need to check all coax connections behind the plates. If you have KeyTV remove the main panel and check those connections. Not sure if they used KeyTV in 17. But that's a starting point.
Thank you! Now we are looking for the panel
Newbies 'R Us lol
Cynger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:09 PM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I do not believe 17's had Key TV; mine does not. All of your TV's receive signals from the same antenna through splitters. The switch turns the antenna amplifier on; for all TV's.

It could also be your TV. The Insignal brand they put in these units are not the best. A simple trouble shooting step would be to temporarily swap the living room & bedroom TVs. That would tell you if it is a cabling or TV problem. I would do this first.

Tony is correct; many of us have found bad connectors. If it looks like a cabling problem, replace the connectors that are easy to get to and and hope that the problem is not a splitter hidden behind a wall. If you are not familiar with or have the tools to install coax connectors, find someone who knows how to do it.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 07:06 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
There is a switch to push to turn on the antenna signal booster. The booster switch on my past 3 RVs has been behind the bedroom TV like you are seeing. Each RV will only have one booster. Push the little button and a LED comes on. Push the switch again and the booster is off. If you hook up to campground cable - the booster must be OFF. The LED should only be lighted if you are trying to get over the air channels.

I agree with ScottZ that it could be your OEM TV. If you or a neighbor have a spare TV - bring it into the living room and hook it up and try a channel scan. If it picks up channels like your bedroom TV - then you know the OEM TV is ready to be donated to Goodwill for recycle. If the test TV does no better for channel reception then your cable or a splitter somewhere along the line between the convenience center and the wall plug behind the TV. Look for splitters behind the convenience center and in the wall behind the plug cover. Find replacements on Amazon.

Lots of folks here use a coax tester (can’t remember the real name) but I don’t have one.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 08:59 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
The splitter junction is behind the convenience center Basement wall attached to the overhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement Coax HEPVO accumulator.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	15074  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:49 PM   #7
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
From what I could ascertain, KeyTV was first installed as of September 2018. I would start at each TV and work my way back, checking the connections at each splitter and ensuring each connection is tight. I suspect one or more connections worked their way loose during travels over the past few years. Good luck and happy camping
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote