Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Happy Days!!!!!!

Well a very strange thing happened yesterday. We had a Tech from the 3gStore install our Cradle Point. To our surprise Delaine's computer crashed and lost everthing. It was just like the new computer Delaine bought for me yesterday then her computer was just like a new one. But she booted it up this morning and to our surpirse everything came back?????? Now would someone tell me how this happened. Oh well I felt so bad for Delaine, she was really upset and very sad because she had lost so many pictures and other important things. H. John told me about a gadget that we can store things like a back-up file system will check it out today. Life is Good. GBY......

I do really like the Cradle Point 1000 it works great. Thanks again to Alex again.

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
This is very late in coming. The safest way to save your photos is to burn them off to CDs or DVDs. Any electronic device can crash and lose your data. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Backups are essential.

We have 3 MyBook external hard drives, from 320 GIGs to a Tetra something or other.

Al likes to do a image backup now and then, and I do data backups of just the images, and data files.

The more you do, the better off you are, that said, no, I don't do freqently enough, and I am gonna get burned sometime. SIGH

And, I know better.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I highly recommend Carbonite (carbonite.com) for a cheap, "couldn't be easier," system to back up all your files, photos, etc., with no effort on your part. I learned about the program while reading Kim Komando's newsletter (komando.com); Kim is a computer guru with a great web site and super tips for computer users. Anyway, she had a code for a fairly extended free trial of Carbonite, so I went to the Carbonite site, logged in with the code, and fell in love with the program almost instantly.

Carbonite is an online, easy way to ensure your files/photos are safe no matter what. It costs under $50 a year, and once you download the program (which is brain-dead easy and takes less than 5 minutes), you don't have to do anything else.

I lost both computers and everything on the hard drives in a power company screw-up last summer. However, once I had the new computers up and running, I went to Carbonite and the "restore files" area, put in my codes, and there were all my files/photos--everything. With one click of a button, I downloaded everything I'd lost. (You can also pick and choose what you want to restore, so it's a good way to clean out your files at that point, if you want to, but I just reloaded everything with one click.) Carbonite has great reviews in the tech magazines, and I'm an advocate of it now. It works. It's easy. The customer service people, if you ever want to talk to a real person, are there for you--polite, helpful, understandable, patient . . . GREAT!

I wouldn't be without Carbonite now. I also back up everything on discs, but Carbonite is away from my computers and house, so if everything is lost here, Carbonite has it saved for me. If you want some other backup ideas, go to komando.com and play around on that site; for me, it's the "MOC" site of the computer world--lots of helpful folks, great help from Kim, great site recommendations.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You might consider Carbonite. We back up all Marge's and my documents securely on line. Cost is $50 per year but it sure makes one mind at rest. We've had too many crashes where we lost everything. We have a 300 GB external hard drive but have to drag it out and connect it each time we want to back up. But with Carbonite, once the initial back up is done, it automatically backs up any changes that are made. Don't have to do anything. Check it out at www.carbonite.com and if you want to, use promotion code Rush.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I have Carbonite also and wouldn't be without it. Cheap and easy peace of mind.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
When you subscribe to Carbonite for 49.95 a year how many computers can you load their software on,or do you have to pay for each computer?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I guess we have been lucky, haven't lost anything since I bought my first computer in 2000, and I still have it at the home base. Its a Desk top pc. However we went yesterday and purchased a My Book made by Western Digital 1,000 Gig ($129.00) and we will back up Delaine's computer. We also back at the home base have her computer files and pictures backed up on a CD. But we have taken several pictures while on this trip and Delaine does some writing and though she had lost that also, that was our only concern. Life is good. GBY....
Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #9
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
I agree with ggranch. Although I use several external storage devices I still save all pictures to a re-writable dvd.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I kinda feel that the safest way to back up all our data is to use ALL forms of media available to you.

External hard drives, DVD's, online storage, whatever it takes, and using more than one makes even MORE sense.

We have been contemplating leaving one of the MyBooks with the data on it, with the kids, in another house/city, when traveling. Current photos, and stuff done from departure date to return, of course, would not be protected.

The more ways you can back up, the safer you are.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You pay per computer with Carbonite.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We try very hard not to get contracts. You know what happens well its only $50.00 next thing you know your spending lots of money and locked into things that really aren't good. And the follow up service at time leaves a lot to be desired. Don't know if the My Book will work but we are gonna give it a try. GBY....