Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Anyone Installed the Moryde X Factor on Their Mont

Has anyone installed the Moryde X Factor on their Montanas? If so, how expensive are they, are they easy to install, and how do you like them? I saw them on their website and at 39' feet long, and 15k, it seems like something to take a look at. On our previous 3750FL there was a recall to strengthen the frame and a cross member, similar to the x Factor (might have been one) was installed to strengthen the axle area. I was also wondering if you have installed the X Factor, did you install 1, 2, ore 3? Thanks for your input. Our 2013 3750FL is 12995 delivered so it is heavier then our 2010.

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Installed one this fall after getting it at the Fall Rally. BTW there are two types, the adjustable and a fixed length that fits the Montana's and is cheaper(around $100), the fixed length isn't listed you have to ask for it. It probably would take about 4-6 hours to install if you have everything you need. There is a tutorial with pictures on the site from when others have done it.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Installed the fixed length center X Factor last year and just installed the other two this week. They come in two pieces that bolt together. Total time was about 7 hours for both installs. I feel much better having them on. They will reinforce the spring hangers.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I love the concept, and think all trailers like ours should have them. I made mine, but the commercially available ones are great.
Mine:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/XOzzFactor?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Had Mor/ryde install the solid, center X-factor before last year's rally. Took them about 45 minutes & ran about $130.00 installed (rally special). Sleep a lot better now...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Last spring I had all 3 X-Factor Cross Braces installed on my 2011 Big Sky 3580RL. Had them installed at my RV dealership. Made a lot of phone calls about prices of parts, installation and benefits of the braces. All my research was in favor of the braces. My cost papers are all in a file in the RV, I will check them later today and post them.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We had them installed on the Big Sky at Mor Ryde a couple of years ago after the rally. Don't remember how much they cost.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
This is a follow up on my last post about the cost of the X-Factor Cross Braces installed
by the dealer we bought the RV from, Folsom Lake RV in Sacramento Ca.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Part No. Description Qty Price Total
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
15-1200 1 MOR/RYDE CROSS MEMBER 1.00 166.49 ea. 166.49
15-9011 2 MOR/RYDE CROSS MEMBER 2.00 166.49 ea. 332.98

Lab Code Job# Description LABOR Total

000 1 Labor 234.00

Parts Total: 499.47
Labor Total: 234.00
Tax Total: 38.70

Work Order Total: 772.17

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Thanks for all of your great replies. It looks like the product is well received by all users and is a good investment. One person who responded indicated how long it would take to install, "with the right tools." What are the right tools? It looks like I will be saving my pennies for this mod.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
snowhawk2,

I was told by the people at MOR/RYDE that the braces are made for each model and the RV frames already have the proper holes in them. I know the dealer that instaled mine charges around $100 per hour or more for labor so at a $234 labor charge it could not have taken them that long. When I talked to the people at MOR/RYDE I had to give them the year, model, ser # and all the numbers to get the right sets. The $400 the dealer charged for the braces was $60 more than than I could have bought them for but I did not want to install them.

Frank
Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maximo

snowhawk2,

I was told by the people at MOR/RYDE that the braces are made for each model and the RV frames already have the proper holes in them. I know the dealer that instaled mine charges around $100 per hour or more for labor so at a $234 labor charge it could not have taken them that long. When I talked to the people at MOR/RYDE I had to give them the year, model, ser # and all the numbers to get the right sets. The $400 the dealer charged for the braces was $60 more than than I could have bought them for but I did not want to install them.

Frank
Thanks Frank. I watched a video and it looked like a basically a bolt on situation. When I'm ready I will follow your recommendations and call Moryde. I will probably just pay my local RV guy when the time comes.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
snowhawk2,

Try this web site - www.tweetys.com - They handel MOR/RYDE products and were the cheap supplier and I think there was no freight.

Frank
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like a few others I made my own ... couldn't see spending a couple of hundred bucks getting them bought and installed when I could make one and bolt it on for @ sixty bucks.

While you're under there or the shop mechanic is under there ... check your rubber shear spring (if your unit has the Mor Ryde Suspension) If the cracks in the rubber are over 1/2" deep and run for several inches ... replace it. There's info on how to check them on their website.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
No special tools, jacks(or blocking), wrenches. What I meant was going back and forth to the garage for the right size tool.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #15
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Like a few others I made my own ... couldn't see spending a couple of hundred bucks getting them bought and installed when I could make one and bolt it on for @ sixty bucks.

While you're under there or the shop mechanic is under there ... check your rubber shear spring (if your unit has the Mor Ryde Suspension) If the cracks in the rubber are over 1/2" deep and run for several inches ... replace it. There's info on how to check them on their website.
I too fabricated ,and installed my own. I installed on all three points. I had the luxury of getting the materials from my work before I retired, so there was no cost, other then hardware. It took the drops that we scrap out. Also had the luxury of galvanizing them, and had them etched so they look like they are painted flat black. No painting or rust.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
We were having the LevelUp system installed so I bought all 3 braces and had them drop shipped to the dealer that was doing the LevelUp and they installed them. The cost of the whole install was bundled, not sure about the cost of the XFactor by itself., but the costs indicated above sounds about right.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:

I too fabricated ,and installed my own. I installed on all three points. I had the luxury of getting the materials from my work before I retired, so there was no cost, other then hardware. It took the drops that we scrap out. Also had the luxury of galvanizing them, and had them etched so they look like they are painted flat black. No painting or rust.
Wow, If I had a workplace like that, I wouldn't retire!!!
Good job.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #18
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:

Wow, If I had a workplace like that, I wouldn't retire!!!
Good job.

I finished them at home after retiring. I could have done them at my work place after retiring, but that meant I would have to keep going to the work place, it was easier fitting ,and welding at home . Other then having to weld them with a stick welder instead of a mig gun it worked out okay. It is always nice to be able to use a wire feeder instead of stick. I still have the luxury of getting some material if need , or getting something galvanized. I spent over 42 years with them, that was enough.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #19
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I have the center one installed and I'm considering taking coach to the welding shop and just have them weld some in place instead of purchasing the other two X factors. I looks like it will do the same thing and will be a lot less expensive. Your thoughts.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The other two X Factors come with longer wet bolts that need to be installed to hold them in place. This way, the entire spring hanger is supported.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote