Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
Direction of electric travel

When plugged into shore/campground power, does the power hit the converter first or the distribution center? If I install a transfer switch and/or a surge protector where in the line would I install them? Since I'm using a portable generator, would I install a surge protector on the shore power line before it hits the transfer switch?

offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The shore power enters the 110v power distribution panel in the rig first. The converter is then just like any outlets, appliances that receive 110v power. The converter then applies charging for the battery and 12v power for all the 12v devices. The surge protector goes right before the 110v power distibution panel to protect the panel from the incoming power at the pole or a generator. That's the extent of what I can explain. There will be other members along to complete the explanation of where to put the transfer switches.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
If you add a transfer switch you need to take the power cord to the switch first then to the elect. panel. The power will feed thru the switch to the panel and if you start a generator that will switch the transfer switch and feed from generator to panel. You will need a 50 amp transfer switch and if your generator is not two pole you will have to put jumper on the switch so you can feed the panel like the 50 amp does from the power cord.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by offroad71

When plugged into shore/campground power, does the power hit the converter first or the distribution center? If I install a transfer switch and/or a surge protector where in the line would I install them? Since I'm using a portable generator, would I install a surge protector on the shore power line before it hits the transfer switch?
You ask a good question and there can be many answers.
First you stated "does the power hit the converter first or the distribution center?"
The distribution center is an electrical connection location. The transfer switch would fall in this same category. The converter is an electrical appliance. Note - I say this because it does convert 120VAC to 12VDC but it is an application not a electrical connection location.

The surge protector is a generic name for a device that can do multiple things depending on which one you get. The cheap ones (lower in price) only protect from a voltage spike/surge caused by lightening normally. The more expensive $350 for a 50 amp device also has a low voltage, high voltage, incorrect wiring fault and delay timer to protect the electrical appliance that need time to settle down (normally air conditioners).

So I am taking the converter out of the question because it is wired to your distribution center or I call it circuit breaker panel.

The transfer switch determines which electrical source is sent to the circuit breaker panel.

So my first statement is you definitely need to protect your trailer when it is plugged into the commercial power pole.

Now = Do you want to also protect your electrical equipment when connected to a generator (assuming you are using a transfer switch).
Note here - the generator has to have a specific ground wire between it and the trailer or the wiring fault detection of the expensive surge guard will detect no ground and not allow voltage to pass.

So if you feel the need to protect both you need to install the surge guard between the transfer switch and the circuit breaker panel.
If you only want to protect when connected to commercial power then it can be between the electrical connection (plug) and the transfer switch.

I hope this is not too confusing.

Good luck and let us know if you need more clarification.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
John I read what you said and it's very interesting but are you saying if you connect a generator to the shore power plug the surge protector won't allow the power to pass? I have a Progressive EMS-HW50C.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
When I went through the installation of a dedicated front plug for the generator, the EMS (progressive) would not allow the generator power to transfer into the rig. After telephone calls to Progressive engineers, they recommended that a dedicated "pigtail" with the neutral bonded to the ground be used. Since my front receptacle that I installed was solely for generator use, I elected to bond the neutral and ground together inside the automatic transfer switch on the generator leg side. I think the application depends on the generator, because I have not had to do the bonding for the EMS to work with our built in Onan, but I am sure that the reason is that it is grounded to the rig, whereas a portable generator is not. As mentioned in other posts, the generator will work by using the bypass switch on the EMS.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
Thank you for the advice I will use the bypass switch the few times I dry camp.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gr8330

Thank you for the advice I will use the bypass switch the few times I dry camp.
I would build a dedicated cable from the generator to the plug so the EMS is functioning all the time. My fear is if you use the bypass you may also bypass the delay timer for the AC compressors.
Just my opinion. Thanks Bingo for the valid details.

EDIT- Also if the generator fails the EMS would do its job and guard from high or low voltage. Especially if it ran low on fuel and sputtered.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
John the generator I have is a Honda 2000 so I only use it dry camping to run the tv, microwave, and charge the batteries. Sorry I didn't provide all the pertinent information. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
This thread gave me a reason to finally write up how I added a transfer switch and front electrical connection to our 5er. Total cost including a 30 amp extension cord and some 6 guage wire was under $80. Here's a description and pics

Transfer Switch

We have two Honda 2000s connected together and I leave the Progressive EMS on. I use a three-prong plug end with the ground and neutral hooked together and plugged into a spare outlet on the generator. This satisfies the EMS' need for a grounded neutral.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
Thanks for all the help. I understand a little more now.
offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote