Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2009, 02:07 AM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have retired twice now. Once from the Military, and once from NASA. Earlene also retired from NASA.

On most days I don' do anything until noon time, and then I do it twice.

Also, Earlene asked me what I was going to do today and I said, "Nothing."
She said, "You did that yesterday!"
And I said, "Yes, but I didn't finish."

I am not sorry that I retired, both times but I think others will aggree that you may miss the camaraderie a little.

But hey! That's what the MOC forum is all about.

Good luck.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #22
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
If I may make one suggestion to those of you that will be fulltiming "Choose a hobby"! Most folks don't have a problem with this but some do...Travelling isn't that expensive but the darned sightseeing is. Those entry fees add up quickly. Having said this "I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR THE WORLD!"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Mary and I are in our early 60's and plan to work a few more years before retiring but reading some of these comments certainly makes us hungry for the pie. It sounds exciting and we can not wait. It is fun to read about so many of your adventures, I guess we live vicariously through your stories. Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #24
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
After 32 years with UPS they have decided to downsize again. Getting rid of our district and merging our's with another. Not sure how many jobs will be left I'm 4th on senority but how many more downsizing will there be. Once they let us know what the buy out is I may be retiring at 57, husband has his own business but it's seasonal. The money end scares me to death.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #25
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have been with my company for 35 years but I am still a kid (62 in April ha ha) but now they want me to change job roles. I don't like where their trying to move me so it looks like I may be retiring this year. I have started talking turkey with my financial advisor to look at all my options. I am actually getting used to the idea but it is still a big life changing event.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The Medical Insurance is the big key. Anyone can retire but you have to have some type of Medical Ins. that you can afford. Be very careful when making the change. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #27
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I retired last yr Aug 08. I have not regretted it one day. The DW has been retired for 8 years and deferred taking her retirement until 07. Our combined income has not taken a hit and we have not had to tap into our retirement plans for support. If you can retire now do it. And don't forget as exav8tr said get a hobby.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #28
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Well we got the notice first they were keeping 4 jobs now they will keep 9 jobs. But I will be the only one in my position that will know it and the other people coming in will have to be trained. I'm not willing to have that headache and pressure, so my husband and I decided that I should retire. One thing that is good is that I will get full medical for my husband and myself.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #29
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Debbie, That is great!!! No one can set a dollar amount on "Full Medical", but, as you are probably aware, that could be quite a bit. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RETIREMENT1111
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #30
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Medical care is very serious subject when you retire. Since you two are young thats really important. We also retired you and if we hadn't had Medical care, which we do have to pay for, we wouldn't be able to do what we are doing. I really believe that the Medical issue is the most important thing to consider.

Great decision and congratz on your retirement. There is no better job out there. But I will also say, it want be long before you are asking, how did I ever find time to work. GBY...
Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #31
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
The wife and I have had a lot of time to reevaluate our retirement plans for this year while I was off work for my back surgery. The economy is very scary, unemployment today is 7.6%! One good thing is fuel prices are about 50% of last year at this time. But, when the economy turns around, hello $4.00 a gallon diesel fuel once again! So ya know what? We are going to stick to our plans, damn the torpedo's and full speed ahead! After working in health care for 37 years, both military and civilian, I have really come to appreciate the fact that this is no practice for the next life, this is all we get.

In August we are we are planning a 4000 mile loop from Wisconsin to Glacier to Grand Canyon and back, 2010 is ALASKA!

Thanks for listening!
RKassl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Debbie..Sounds like you made a good decision.The medical care is very important. Helen and I are both retired Feds and we were able to carry our federal health Insurance with us into retirement at the same rate we paid while working.If we had not been able to do that it is doubtful we would be able to enjoy this lifestyle. Do a in depth analysis of your finances, spending , ect. It is surprising what you can cut back on.. We always used Quicken to track our spending and every thing was categorized so we knew where and how every dollar was used. We reduced our spending by 20% with no problem before we retired. You need to have a budget and a plan.. You will do just fine.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #33
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
DH and I plan on retiring in March 2010. We both could go now, but are waiting for 62. We too are cautious with our plans. The economy is so flaky, but at least our federal pensions are secure. Growing up with parents that went thru the depression we both know how to live frugally even if we haven't shown any restraint in years. We want retirement bad enough to relearn those old skills. Like someone else here said...you only have this one life. I want to enjoy what time I have left!!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:07 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I retired from Federal service at age 62 with 41 years 6 months service(Military time included) That works out to @ 80 % of the high three (CSRS)
remember you will no longer pay into the retiremet fund in our case 7.5% of the total yearly salary so that adds on to the %. Federal and State taxes are also lower because of the lower retirement salary.Our local city does not tax retirement.You can take your health insurance with you at the same rate you are paying now as well as your life insurance. If you are CSRS every year you stay is another 2% of your high 3. Do your numbers. Go to a retirement seminar if your agency does one (most do). Do you have sick leave..that adds on to your retirement time. At age
62 how many years of quality Rv/ retirement years might you have.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #35
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rich you are right about the years left to RV after 62. That window is pretty small. That is why this is my last year to work.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #36
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
We will be going on my pre retirement vacation (4 1/2) months) on Jan. 29, 2010. Once this trip is complete I can then decide to stay at work or not. Hopefully the economy will be better at that time so my decision will be easy to make.
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #37
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
At least I can read this type of thread hopefully. DW retired last Aug., but I need to put in a few more years before we can realistically run numbers and consider my retirement. Right now, just maintaining my position, and rolling from old boss to new contractor is paramount so will let my weight down July 1 of this year, and at least be able to relax a little more with weekend and vacation excoursions.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #38
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I dropped my retirement papers in January and will retire at the end of the year. DW has already stopped working for the mean time. I just turned 50 and I do want to be able to enjoy my travels. I know we will have to work some more down the road but then it will be my choice and for how long. We want to take 4-5 yrs and just see this beatiful country at our leisure. We will look to workkamper or some other seasonal thing down the road to help. Already have our first trip planned for Alaska in July this year. Safe and Happy Trails to all.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #39
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Sounds like a plan. I retired US Army in Jan 1993, and its be great. Be careful time will fly. And after you retire you will wonder how you ever had time to work. GBY.....

P.S. Thanks for your service to our Country....

Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #40
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Hey Army Guy you and I are on the same sheet of music! I pull the pin on May 22, the wife on June 30. After a a beer and firecrackers at our favorite hide away on July 4th, we will leave for a 4000 loop from Wisconsin to Glacier, then down to Grand Canyon and finally back to Minneapolis to play with the Grand kids. Our Alaska trip is end of April 2010. We were at the Minneapolis RV show this last weekend, and went to an Alaska seminar. Oh, my, the places I have read about I got to see some video of it was up to the wife I think we would have left for Alaska there and then. We picked up a lot of great tips from the presenters that will save $$ for this trip of a lifetime.

Happy Camping!
RKassl is online now   Reply With Quote