Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Tire damage with TPMS ?

Arm chair thoughts...
Has any one using TPMS had body damage to their RV? I hear of so many blow outs with much damage to RV and wondered if there are any real life experiences where the monitoring system saved you from having damage, or was there damage to your RV even though you had a TPMS? Thanks.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We had damage. The TPMS gave us about 10 seconds warning. We were on 140 degree pavement.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
We had a blow-out at 55MPH and received and immediate warning. Luckily we hit the emergency lane quickly and were able to slow down before the slinging tire effect happened. It may not always prevent damage but with quick notice can help you reduce damage by slowing down immediately.
Denfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's not a guarantee, but it has saved a lot of folks. 60mph and tread separation causes a tire to blow, you will get instant warning but you may not be able to avoid some damage. On the other hand, without it you could drive blissfully on for miles tearing big pieces out of your rig. You might also notice or be warned of a sudden rise in that tires temperature and be able to pull over before it lets go. IMHO they're well worth the money, but not a guarantee.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
I think that the major difference between not having a TPM and having one is that you are instantly aware that you have lost a tire. I have talked to other RVers that have lost a tire on a 5th wheel and were never aware of it until they reached a campsite or had the other tire blow. We had a blowout last year and the monitor let me know with in seconds, pulled over almost immediately and reduced the damage considerable. When we had the repair done the techs said that we had gotten away with much less damage than what they usually see with a blowout. What I also like is I know what my tire pressures are everyday before I start out.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
On our way north this spring we blew 3 tires. With a TPMS system. The first was a catastropic failure - belt separation. Monitor system does no good in those situations. Damage to the aluminum and fender covers. During the tire change I lost the monitor from that tire so I had to run without it. That is the tire (figures) that blew the next day. That monitor may have saved damage, but I ran it too long and lost that fender cover and bent up the aluminum. The third tire had a monitor on it and I received a warning in time to pull off of the Intersate before the tire could disentegrate and do any damage. I am a believer in monitoring systems.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't have a TPMS. If I had one I probably would have stopped sooner and pulled over sooner when an older trailer I had had two blowouts and a third tire was losing air. I did get some trailer damage. I also was experiencing air loss in a tire and didn't catch it until I had coincidentally stopped and found it when I checked on things.

The TPMS does not prevent tire problems, nor damage from tire problems. The purpose is to try and identify a problem before it becomes catastrophic or in the case of a sudden catastrophy it will notify you immediately to lessen damage.

When I ever get one, I hope it does not make me less wary or careful and that it is only an additional tool for the war on trailer problems. Unfortunately, like all tools, they themselves can be a problem or have problems so the balancing act on having it or not continues. I would rather have a TPMS and never need it, than wish I had one. This is another example of technology helping us out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
During our trip home from PA to MO last month, we had two flats. Our Pressure Pro system sounded the alarm and then counted down the PSI which gave us plenty of time to slow down. On flat #1 we were able to get off the highway, but flat #2, the air was coming out to fast and we could not make the next exit. No damage to the RV. Without the alarm, I doubt that I would have noticed the air drop and it was only a matter of time for the tread to separate and we would have had some serious damage to the RV.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
bish
Site Team

M.O.C. #8644
Just this Saturday we had a major blow out that was loud enough I didn't need the TPMS to tell me what was going on (all I had to do was look in the mirror). Lots of damage to the wheel well area. I monitor the readings and had no indication there was a problem and no warning so I don't believe it was a pressure problem (the monitor said 83.5 psi). I still believe the system is good to have but was hoping I wouldn't have to go thru another blow out but I guess some things cannot be avoided.

2009 10th Anniversary 3400RL, LED bulbs throughout unit, Level up, X-Factor, Wet bolts, Disc brakes, Sailun S637 tires.
bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A few months ago, I pulled into a campground at a lake for the weekend. After a couple of days, we packed up to go home ... turned the TST on and a few minutes later the alarm sounded. Somewhere shortly before or inside the park I picked up a decking screw causing a slow leak. I was 25# low even though the tire looked OK. Things might have turned for the worse once on the road. I always carry a tire plug kit, so I temporarliy plugged the tire, aired it up, and headed home. A few days later, I took it to a tire store for the permanent patch. I figure that one instance potentially paid for the TST system.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Blow out.. a sudden and catastrophic failure . The TPMS can not warn you of that. It has warned us of a loss of PSI that could have led to the tire separating from the rim and causing damage. Blow outs can not be anticipated and the TPMS can give no advance warning.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Blow out.. a sudden and catastrophic failure . The TPMS can not warn you of that. It has warned us of a loss of PSI that could have led to the tire separating from the rim and causing damage. Blow outs can not be anticipated and the TPMS can give no advance warning.
I agree. While I have not had a "BlowOut" the TPMS has alerted me to sudden changes in tire pressure. Since I have installed the TMPS (in 2010) I have had 5 different occasions where the TMPS warned me of change in tire pressure that has allowed me to react before the pressure dropped off so much that the tire began to self destruct. In almost each case I was loosing air fast enough that when I pulled on the shoulder of the high way I could hear the air escaping the tire as I got out of the cab of the truck. In each case my pre-trip that morning revealed no issues with the tires and proper inflation. Even if one of those 5 tires came apart I personally feel that the resulting damage would have exceeded the cost of the TPMS. Money well spent in my opinion. I also have monitors on all the TV wheels as well.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I double tow. I got the TST system and have it set up to monitor the 4 5th wheel tires and the 2 on the trailer that has either the RZR or golf cart on it.

I have had 2 times that I picked up a screw. Got lucky both times.

I am a believer. Great pricing, service, free freight.

http://shop.greatrvproducts.com/TST-...sories_c29.htm

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
OK, TPMS is a good thing, but has anyone ever had a warning while using G614 Tires?
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
Benniner1
Established Member

M.O.C. #4770
Great system. 5 blowouts in two years. No damage to fifth wheel. Plenty of time to pull over. It has saved me a great deal of money.
Benniner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:59 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Recumbent

OK, TPMS is a good thing, but has anyone ever had a warning while using G614 Tires?
I have only ran G614's and no other tires on either of my two Montana's. Never had a flat or any type of tire issue.

I still count on my TPMS to warn me of a failure, but just as important to me is being able to see my exact pressure of each tire when I hook up and take off in the morning.