Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
No power

Several days ago I went to my where my RV was stored. I used a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and pluged a 25 ft 30 amp cord in, at the end of the 30 amp cord I pluged in a 30 amp to 110 adapter. I then pluged about a 60 ft 110 extention cord to the power box on the shop. Right away I could hear a low beep, beep. I went in the trailer and could not find the source of the beep. I then unpluged the 50 amp adapter from the trailer and could still hear the beep. Walked arounf the trailer and the beep was coming from the control box that runs the 6 point leveling system. The read out was flashing "Low Voltage", the power cord was still unpluged. I pushed the off button on the control and the unit turned off, peep and all. Today I went to the trailer and and have no power at all, no battery lights or anything. I check the button for battery level and nothing. Checked fuse panael and nothing. what to do now??

Frank

maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
First thing I would check is the battery. On the multimeter, a fully charged battery should show more than 12 volts. When units are stored, the battery should be disconnected. You may have other issues, but that is where I would start.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Wow, that string of cords sounds like trouble to me...I was Ok with them until the 60ft 110v extension cord which needs additional input to confirm a fear. What gauge wire is it? If your converter was in charge mode there can be upwards of 20 amps and most 110v cords would not do well in this situation.
As Stiles says first action is to determine battery state...might consider disconnection and put on charger. Next action is if battery recovers is maybe on reconnection find out if anything was left on.
Lastly, find a method to lengthen one of the other cords 50 amp or 30 amp and eliminate the 60ft or make sure its capable of 20 amp current.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
AlanPat
Established Member

M.O.C. #9264
I found my batteries down and there was a beep coming from the gas detector. I checked to see if the lights would come on and they were very dim. I removed my batteries and charged them, and everything work great after that. It sounds to me that you have the same problem. I would suggest taking the batteries out and charging them. You may be pushing the limits on using all the electrical cords. Hope this helps.
AlanPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Remember that voltage drop starts at the circuit breaker panel, not the outlet and extension cords add to the drop.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
When camping in a friends driveway, we tried a 100 foot 14 Gauge core, just to charge the batteries, but the EMS said no way, to much drop in the cord. Hook up the generator and ran for couple of hours.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
The 110 ext cord is a #12 -3 cord. Talked to a Montana service tech late this afternoon and he said make sure everything is turned off and try plugging in the cord again and seeing if the micro-wave pad will light up. Pluged the cord in again and no beeps from the Lippet control and the micro-wave did come on. Tried all the lights one at a time and they all came on. The tank lights all worked and the battery read a full charge. Called the service tech and told him the results and that the battery showed full charge. He said that the battery actualy tells you the amps to the battery and the 110 line was sending a charge to the battery. Said to leave the rv pluged in and the battery will take a full charge. Said even with everything turne off there is a small draw that over time will drain the battery.

FRank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Sounds like you might be ok? Good luck and keep us posted.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
For those who know because I don't, would the system had worked if the coach was plugged into the tow vehicle? The reason I ask, is because we are headed back to Florida to move our unit from storage to our new home. It has been parked since the end of March and if there is not enough juice I will probably need to pull the battery and charge it up off site.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
As far as I know, at least on the Chevrolet Silverado that is, there is a 40 amp fuse devoted to charging the RV that is separate from the travel lights. On mine it was not there so I had to pay a quick visit to an auto parts store and buy it. It worked like a charm and charged everything up.

Gary
Guvner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our Silverado when hooked up to the rig, is not a viable option for lifting the front legs. If I wait a few minutes, then it might decide to run the jacks for about 30 seconds. When our battery goes dead, I have to resort to the old fashioned crank to the jacks to raise and lower the rig for hookup. I have not tried a set of jumper cables (yet), but one of these days (when I remember to take them with me), I am going to see if the generator will start with a jump to the rig battery. This will then give me power to raise the jacks. I am also planning to supplement the battery with another one controlled by a battery switch. Our battery runs dead after a day of just starting the fridge on propane to get it ready for travel. Not acceptable.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
rotti
Established Member

M.O.C. #10061
there are a couple websites that will help with the voltage drop in different types of wire or cord. If you are looking at 100 foot it is best to use a minimum or 10/3 solid copper wire.
rotti is offline   Reply With Quote