Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Thank you to my MOC family

After reading about the correct way to hitch up my 5th wheel and after reading about other people dropping their campers on the beds I had a little mis-hap today.
I have a new Trailer saver hitch and was not familiar with how to hitch it up. I pulled the truck under the hitch like I learned and it "locked" in. Checked the latch and it was totally around the hitch pin like it should be. Raised the landing gear legs up 1 inch and did the pull test. Truck moved forward and the camper gracefully slid off and set down on the legs with no damage.
I did not pull the pin to let the locking mechanism lock in and the arm pull backward.
Raised it back up and tried again. This time the handle moved backward like it should. Started to set the weight of the camper down on the hitch and the two BAL lock "Deluxe" wheel chocks let the camper roll backward off of the plastic leveling blocks and dropped off again. Again no damage.
This time maybe I was high hitched I do not know why. Next time I really made the truck squat to get under the pin and the arm moved fully backward where it almost touches the head and this time the pull test proved I was fully locked on there!
Thank you Jesus no damage occurred!!!

mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Enjoy the new hitch and glad things worked the way they are suppose to and no damage occurred.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Glad to hear that it all worked out OK and all that was damaged was a few frayed nerves! Lessons learned, no one burned... good deal!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
I have the TrailerSaver BD3 for my new Monty. I have been practicing with it for the last two weeks to become more familiar before taking it on the road. Thanks for posting your experience. It helps. PM me if you want to compare notes. Glad there was no damage.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Glad the forum came through for you!
I know things like that can happen before you even realize it. I recommend the bed saver add on. I put one on our hitch after my little miss-hap and I’ve never been sorry. I can’t say that I’ve needed it but it gives me a sense of security knowing I have it.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:27 AM   #6
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Time to contact Blue OX for a bedsaver, Come to the Great Plains Rally in July and tenatively Blue Ox will be there to sell you one and install for free
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Don't know about your hitch, but on mine I back in until it locks, and then put the truck in neutral and take my foot off the brake. Most time you will here a second lock. I then put in park and set parking brake. If the safety pin does slide right in, I start over, something isn't right.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Don't know about your hitch, but on mine I back in until it locks, and then put the truck in neutral and take my foot off the brake. Most time you will here a second lock. I then put in park and set parking brake. If the safety pin does slide right in, I start over, something isn't right.
My old hitch would lock when I backed into it automatically. Thats what messed me up the first time. This one I have to release the lock once I am backed into it.
As for the Blue Ox, I'll put that on my list of needs. The way the hitch is made it may have set the pin down on it keeping the camper off of the bed. I am not sure if that part is high enough in the bed to help. Still I would need the Blue Ox if the camper kept rolling backward like the second time.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote