Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #21
TheJeep
Established Member

M.O.C. #10968
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

Maryland rules sound to be the same as Texas. Any trailer over 10k# requires a "B" and if the gross combined is over 26k# it requires an "A".
CLASS A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more
provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the
vehicle or vehicles towed exceeds 10,000
pounds;
CLASS B: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 pounds or more, any one of
those vehicles towing a vehicle that does not
exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating
and any vehicle designed to transport 24
passengers or more, including the driver; and a
Class B license will be restricted to operating
busses under 26,001 pounds GVWR if the skills
test is taken in a bus with a GVWR of less than
26,001 pounds; and

Right out of the TX Commerical handbook...I don't see what you're saying. I can understand your case needing commercial, but not everyone that tows a Montana. This was hashed over on the other board pretty well.
He needs a non-commercial A

MD MVA web site info:

Classes of License:

A Class “A” non-commercial license driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive combinations of Class F (tractor) and Class G trailer (over 10,000 lbs.) vehicles (GCWR 26,001 lbs.) and any vehicle that a non-commercial Class B driver’s license authorizes its holder to drive, except:

Commercial Motor Vehicles; and
Motorcycles.
A Class “B” non-commercial driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive any single vehicle GVWR 26,001 pounds or more. Allows pulling a trailer under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR). Any vehicle that a non-commercial Class C driver’s license authorizes its holder to drive, except:

Motorcycles.
A Class “C” non-commercial driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, except:

Motorcycles.

Link:
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-S...recreation.htm

TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #22
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Will, I was summarizing that any trailer (as it affects the users of this forum) with a Gross over 10k# requires a minimum of a Class "B" (Non-Commercial). If the Gross Combined exceeds 26k# then a Class "A" (Non-Commercial) is needed in Texas. Several states have the same or similar requirements but not all states. One of the differences in Texas/Maryland is Maryland requires a Class "A" for any trailer over 10k#. In Texas you can tow a 10k# or more trailer with a "B" as long as your Gross Combined is less than 26k#. (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-S...censeclass.htm)

TheJeep - Yes Maryland and I think South Dakota also, require all Vehicles over a certain weight to pull thru the scales. Commercial or not.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
deleted
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jimmy Womack

Makes me glad I kept my Class B CDL. Unfortunately I'm in Texas or I'd be glad to help.
Me too! Though mine has the Passenger Endorsement.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:13 AM   #25
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rick,
I agree with you 100%. However, the wording in the driver's manual, which is not "law" states:

"CLASS A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds............"

and

"CLASS B: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 pounds............"

The difference is one stated "gross combination weight rating" and the other "gross vehicle weight rating."

Confusing to say the least when the uninformed are trying to make sense out of it. Also, they have changed their style of print-out on the manual. The old manual was misleading in that Section 521 regarded non-cdl and Section 522 was in regards to CDL. Almost everyone read the section 522 on CDL and then misquoted the requirement thinking it was non-cdl, that a CDL license is not required for RV's.

I had a Class A CDL, but since I am not driving commercially, and have not for several years, I converted it over to a Class A. Mainly because any infraction of a traffic law was a fine of $164 if you had a CDL, without recourse to defensive driving or deferred adjudication. (Don't ask me how I know!)

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #26
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Thats good Orv! Now you can transport your wife legally.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #27
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Waynem, I stand corrected. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.521.htm

You are correct in that the Texas Drivers Handbook says one thing but and the Transportation Code says another.

When you call Austin they quote the Handbook. So on the side of the road it could get interesting .....
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #28
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:[i]Originally posted by Ricki]
[bar] One of the differences in Texas/Maryland is Maryland requires a Class "A" for any trailer over 10k#.
Ricki, you are correct, Class A for trailer over 10K.

I have the Maryland Drivers Handbook and in the chart for what license is needed for what vehicle, there is a section listed for recreation vehicles, firefighters, rescue squad and certain farmers. Under this section, a class B non-commercial license is required for truck trailer combination of 26,001 pounds or more.

Also under this Class B non, is single vehicle 26,001 pounds or more.

So, looks like I need a Class B, non-commercial cause I'm 164 pounds overweight.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Guess I'll have to get me one of these Class B non commercial's... Someday
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #29
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

[.............Right out of the TX Commerical handbook...I don't see what you're saying. I can understand your case needing commercial, but not everyone that tows a Montana. This was hashed over on the other board pretty well.
Why are you looking at the TX Commercial Handbook when a non commercial license is required under Section 521 of the Transportation code for Texas. That is one of the problems is that the wrong section of the rules and regulations are quoted.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #30
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

Whew! I need a drink after reading all of this topic.

Let's not EVEN go there about California law. *ha ha

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #31
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yep! I'm finished also.

I know I meet all the requirements to drive what I drive, and to satisfy insurance companies.