Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Yellowish spots on the white ceiling

While sitting in the monty I looked up and started to notice a few yellowish spots on the ceiling. There were a few in a row about 3 feet from the back wall and a few on the ceiling in the middle of the coach. I initially thought these were a rsult of a roof leak, so I checked the roof and the rubber roof looks fine. I'm wondering if these yellowish stains might have been on the white ceiling before it was installed. Does anyone else have any of these yellowish stains on the ceiling? The stains range in size bewteen a 50 cent piece and a silver dollar.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I have a few of them just inside the door on the ceiling. They are not very big and I always thought they were glue spots. So now I know that I am not the only one with them.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I have them also and was told they were putty spots where the put putty over the nails when they put the ceiling in. If you look just right you will see them about every 2 feet front to back and in a line from side to side.
Most of it can be cleaned off with goo gone.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I also have the spots. They appear at the roof joist and at the seams. I'm going to say most of the time it's not a roof leak, but condensation between the roof and ceiling. Here's what happened to us. last year while in Fla. and SC. it was very hot, ac running day and night. First I noticed water in one of my light lenses. Then the water started dripping out. Shortly after that I had water coming out from around the ceiling molding. When I removed the light from ceiling and felt the top of the ceiling it was soaked. We had a lot of water on our ceiling and it had not rained for the two weeks of our stay. after we got home I took it in to be looked at under warranty. The tech said that the ductwork was not fastened together correctly and leaking cold air into the space between the roof and the ceiling. This cold air then comes in contact with the aluminum roof joist that get hot from the sun on the roof. We all know what we get with hot, cold and humidity, stuff sweats. So now I have the yellow stripes, yellow nail spots and some dark brown spots on the white panels. This year we did the south again, Same thing just not as bad as last year. Now I'm out of warranty. I called Keystone they said take it back in to be looked at and they will talk to the service tech, review the report from last year and then decide if they need to do anything or not. This condition is caused by condensation unless your roof is leaking.

Good luck, kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
I think that I have the same problem. Last month @ Mytrle Beach the water would drip on the floor.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Got a few of them too...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Mine was so bad I needed a bowl to catch all the water dripping out of my light. I know keystone had a bunch of reasons for this yellowing last time we talked about this issue. Members said Keystone told them it was from Pollution, diesel exhaust, cooking and a few other I can't remember right now. This Issue was talked about before around July last year.

kevin
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
This one also, if you like this one more. keep it current

kevin
Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our unit is over 10 years old and we've never encountered the yellow spots that many are talking about. Could it be that some of the older models were built different?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #10
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I had that in my last trailer which was an SOB and I painted the cieling with a good quality satin finish latex paint. It still looked good after two years old when traded. I think painting the stick house was eaiser.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Gadzooks!!! That is a design flaw if I ever heard of one!! That indicates to me that there is poor insulation/sealing in the roof area. A definite warranty claim. Living in the desert southwest (and not yet travelling to any really humid climates) we have yet to experience this (hope we never do!)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Old Fogies

I think that I have the same problem. Last month @ Mytrle Beach the water would drip on the floor.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote