Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Sliders not going out

I have a 2009 3400, which has four slides. They go out in this order: bedroom, kitchen, media and then living room. All go out, but the living room slide stops 6 to 8 inches before going all the way out.

What should I do get the 4th slide to go all the way out?

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Check the fluid level in the reservoir - It may be low?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Doublecheck that the first three slides are fully extending before the fourth hesitates. The slides work on a "least resistance" principle and it is possible that the fourth slide extends and then stops while one of the other slides then extends the rest of the way. If the slide mechanism is fully stopping and you have to wait and then repress the switch, then it most likely is a self-resetting breaker issue that has been documented previously on the forum. With the approval of Lippert, many have changed to an 80 amp self-resetting breaker (a forum search should help you out here). Hope this helps and keep us posted if a resolution is found.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I used to have this problem on occasion. I have a resetting fuse (?) for the pump. This fuse apparently had weakened. I replaced the fuse and all is well. The fuse/circuit breaker resides on the front wall behind the hydraulic pump.

Will the slide complete sliding out if you wait a few seconds and then hit the switch to complete the outward movement?
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i had the same problem on my 05 3400rl.replaced the fuse and has been good ever since.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
No. The slider does not go all the way out even if I wait a minute and try again.

I will check the fuse.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
It's not a fuse, it's a circuit breaker and upgrading it to a larger size has been mentioned here numerous times.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I used the dual 40 amp autoresetting circuit breakers solution. The two 40 amps in parallel are the same as a single, harder-to-find, probably-more-expensive 80amp solution from Lippert. I have no more slideout problems.

Other things that can affect slideout operation are:

1. Fluid level - check only when all slides are retracted completely and the ATF Type A fluid is within 1/2" of the top of the reservoir.
2. Batteries are fully charged and in good condition (water filled and not corroded inside) or use shore power (converter) or connected to the TV (TV battery assisted and is running)
3. Rear stabilizers are in place - prevents extra movement during slideout operation which can cause difficulty
4. Autoresetting circuit breakers are too weak - replace them or install higher capacity. The motors can use from 30 amp to 100 amp, so guess what the RV manufacturers install? A single 30 or 40 amp to save money!

Just my experience but the last slide not going out all the way is a new problem to me. With your problem being different it's like something is stopping the slideout from its full extension. Have you tried turning off all the other slides using the individual turn off valve and extending/retracting the one slide by itself? Do you have individual shut offs to even try this?

The last slide might be out of adjustment and thereby beyond my scope of assistance. Maybe with more debugging by moving only the last slide and reporting back what you find, someone else can assist.

Btw - Tom S. I recognize that train engine from Skagway. It has the blower in front for clearing snow off tracks as it moved forward. Is that right? Wonderful place and tough history there!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mel

I have a 2009 3400, which has four slides. They go out in this order: bedroom, kitchen, media and then living room. All go out, but the living room slide stops 6 to 8 inches before going all the way out.

What should I do get the 4th slide to go all the way out?
Has it operated correctly in the past, or did you just get the RV and it has the problem? It doesn't sound like the breaker issue to me, but rather, as Art mentioned, perhaps an adjustment issue. Also, could something have fallen, and be on top of, or under the floor of the slide? I know one of our entertainment center doprs came open behind our LR slide, and I sure put the crunch on it before I realized it was open.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
It has worked fine in the past. One other time it happened, but after a minute it went all the way out.

I checked and nothing is on top of it or blocking it.

I am plugged into shore power.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Will the slides retract or is there no movement one way or the other now?? If they will not extend and will not retract, the problem will probably lie with the electric motor and/or the hydraulic pump that controls the slides. If the slides will retract, then I would use Art's suggestion of turning the other slides off (older models have the adjustment knobs in the battery compartment that can be used to isolate the main slide, newer models have control knobs located on the side of the rig). If it then extends fully, it would lend one to believe that it is a hydraulic fluid level problem. If it stops in the same place, there has to be a mechanical issue under the slide or I would think at floor level on the inside of the slide. I did kill the hydraulic/electric motor system and pump with an unbeknownst flip flop impeding the slide in the past (hazards of teenagers!!)
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
You might make a visual inspection under the slide. Be sure the bolt is not sheared in the tube that keeps the two rack gears in unison. If it is sheared, the slide may not be square in the opening, and binding.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Today the slide went all the way out. I did check to be sure nothing was blocking the slide or any stuff on the slide. All OK.

I plan to replace the fuse as has been recommended. Thanks so much for all the help!