Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Rubber Tramps
Established Member

M.O.C. #9416
Zerk Fittings

OK, we have an '09 Hickory Edition with Zerk fittings. Our understanding when we purchased the rig was that you didn't have to lube these things, they are sealed and self-lubing. Now we're hearing that you should take them in to be lubed periodically. We fulltime, but mostly stay put for 6 mos, then move on for another 6 mos so we don't have a lot of miles on the rig. What are the rest of you doing?

Rubber Tramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you are referring to the EZ-Lube wheel hubs, then you need to lube these periodically and there's been discussions that the book says just one or two cranks of the hand operated grease gun at a time, others will tell you keep pumping until you see grease pour out, but then there's the risk of blowing out the rear seals and mucking up your brakes.

It sounds like you only move once, then six months later move again but you don't say how far. That's not a lot of driving. Hopefully someone will tell you how often, for your case. I would probably pump a couple of squirts of fresh grease in each wheel each time I moved every six months.

DO NOT use a powered grease gun. Use only a hand pump unit.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As Art says, don't use a powered grease gun. I wouldn't pump until you see grease coming out because that's going to give you problems down the road. Don't ask me how I know.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I did a pump or two once in awhile and wound up blowing two seals and getting grease on the brake pads. So no more Zerk fittings for me. I will just repack by hand every two years.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
So, did you guys that damaged seals pump the grease according to Dexter procedure?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I have done this on the last 4 units we owned..never a problem. I have a special needle point end for my grease gun that I used to use on U-Joints. I put that on the outer bearing & grease them too. Works for me.
But, yes I do take the drums off every two or three years & inspect brakes & repack bearings by hand.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

So, did you guys that damaged seals pump the grease according to Dexter procedure?
Yes and no. I started out with one or two pumps; my hand grease gun puts a lot of grease in with one pump. I blew the seals with two pumps. As far as Dexter is concerned, a Dexter representative told me that they don't hype the EZ lube system because of the problems created. When I asked them why did they put them on the RVs, he said, "Because you will buy them." Most of us will buy anything that looks like it's going to save us time and effort. Personally, I'm with the Dexter representative; I don't recommend them either. But each person has to make their own decision and then live with it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
When I had my old 5er in to have the bearings repacked by an RV service center, before they put the nut back on the spindle, they pumped grease into the Zerk until it came out around the washer, filling the entire cavity, then they put the bolt & cotter pin on.

A friend said its not a boat trailer, no need to fill the cavity with grease, its just a waste.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
A friend said its not a boat trailer, no need to fill the cavity with grease, its just a waste.

That is just where problems happen with this system, some hub cavities are full from the factory and only need 2-3 pumps on a hand grease gun, some come nearly empty and need many many pumps to fill the cavity before its full.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sinterior

That is just where problems happen with this system, some hub cavities are full from the factory and only need 2-3 pumps on a hand grease gun, some come nearly empty and need many many pumps to fill the cavity before its full.
So it IS a good idea to fill the cavity with grease.?

Since my camper is new and I've never pulled the drums off to look, should I pull them off and at least fill the cavity if its not full?
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sinterior

So it IS a good idea to fill the cavity with grease.?

Since my camper is new and I've never pulled the drums off to look, should I pull them off and at least fill the cavity if its not full?
I was told by the mechanic that did my brakes last year that it is not necessary to fill the cavity. And to just pack the bearings every two years.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote