Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Loss of Wheel on Monty

While returning from a trip yesterday, the wife and I lost a wheel off the drivers side front axel on our 05 3400RL. The Good Sam folks sent out a service agent and he helped me get the unit on home by chaining up the drooping axel. In looking at the wheel, it just appears that all the bolts came loose at one time. The threads are not even stripped off the studs. There is no damage to the wheel and minimal to the fender; mainly pulled a fee screws loose. The service guy said that all I need to do was to put more log nuts on, replace the damaged dust cap on the wheel, and the wheel chrome center.

I would assume if the bolts tighten, then he may be correct. If the wheel and tire are not damaged and there is no damage to the hub I can at least replace all and give her a try. No one was hurt and it wss fortunate that there was no traffic at the time. Any thoughts on the repair?

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
If the studs and wheel suffered no damage, you will be ok just installing new lugnuts. I would have the tire shop look at everything very close though.

If you don't already check the torque on the lugnuts on a regular basis, you may want to in the future. They do have a tendency to work loose.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
When was the last time you had torqued the lug nuts before this accident?
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In our second year of full timing (2002), we experienced the same thing. In our case, all the studs were sheared off. We didn't find the wheel. It was due to lack of diligence on my part of checking (torquing) the lug nuts on the wheels. Since then, I check the torque every time we're going to move. You'd be surprised how often these things come loose. I torque to 120 foot-pounds.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Unlike our vehicles, the trailer's wheel nut torque always seemed to be loose, at first. It might have to do with the stresses of the weight and the fact that on turns the stresses on trailer tires/wheels are even worse. There is no differential on a trailer's axles which are designed to alleviate the stresses especially on sharp turns. I have a feeling this extra stress can cause loose nuts to eventually be worked off. While I've heard of this happening with a car, I read of this much more about trailers because of not checking the torque.

As recommended, I check the torque on the nuts and air pressure prior to every trip and we don't travel that far or are gone for very long compared to long-timers and full-timers. If you have not removed your wheels in a while you will find that the torque remains good even though the air is often low. But if you have removed the wheels for any reason, then after initially torquing them down, the torque should be checked after 50 miles of driving, then 200 miles of driving, then at some interval you feel comfortable with which does not include "fuggedaboudit".

I recently checked my brakes and this required me to remove the wheels. I have torqued them down, but will check them prior to my next trip, and again at the intervals I mention. What helps me remember to do this, is to notify DW. She realizes the repercussions and fears it more than I do, so she makes a great deterrent system "honey, aren't you supposed to check the wheels".

As for the repair, you should be able to get that wheel put back on after purchasing the new nuts (take one off an existing tire), then head down to the RV shop, auto parts or hardware store to get the new ones. If your rig had wheel nut caps, you'd probably have the best chance of a matchup at the RV store that sells your type of trailer. You can get the dust cap and chrome center piece from them too. You'll need to know what kind of dust cap you need - for example, do you have EZlube axles? Then put everything all back together using your (new) torque wrench and proper size deep socket. Most Montys need about 115 lbs of torque so make sure you have at least 150lbs of wrench and use a 7/8" deep socket.

If you have physical limitations, hopefully you can ask others for help, but you should at least have the tools available to make it easier on them.

You are very fortunate if this is all that is needed. It could have been worse if there was damage to the brakes, but I'm sure the Good Sam person would probably have noticed this before just recommending to put the wheel back on.

Take care.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I would think something was fishy if all the lugnuts came loose at the same time! Could someone have loosened them prior to you leaving? Say you were gone the night or two before and some joker or youngsters thought they would be smart and loosened all of them on that one wheel! I don't see how all could have come off at one time! I had a pop-up that kept loosing the lugnuts on one wheel. Lost the wheel entirely one time and had to go to an auto store and replace lugs,nuts,and bearing! Not a fun job when you are off the road in a sandy area! That's why the new bearing! Anyway, it sounds awful suspicous to me on loosing all lugnuts at ones! Keep us informed on the matter!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Glad to hear no one was injured or very little damage. Check the lug holes in the rim very careful to make sure none are out of round. If they are replacing just the lugs may not solve your problem. Replace the rim. Also, as stated torque.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Rondo could be right. Lots of meanness now days.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Guess I am just lucky. In 5years and 16,000 miles of towing I have never had a loose lugnut. Or for that matter non of the problems that are brought up here. Maybe I will some day. Sure hope not.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
check out dextra axle website they have a two piece lugnut they call { torq n go } when torqing the wheel this lugnuts apply more torq because of the two pieces once you torq these huts they donnot come loose unless you remove the wheel again torqe them forgot them
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

check out dextra axle website they have a two piece lugnut they call { torq n go } when torqing the wheel this lugnuts apply more torq because of the two pieces once you torq these huts they donnot come loose unless you remove the wheel again torqe them forgot them
In searching the internet for Dextra Axles the only thing I found was a Ford Holland Dextra tractor. Is this the correct website???
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
DEXTER not Dextra!

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...-N-Go_2-09.pdf
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All came loose at the same time????? Very strange.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Those lugnuts are great. I'm glad someone was smart enough to come up with the design, now if the trailer mfgr's would be smart enough to use them........ Something similar has been in use for several years with hub piloted wheels, instead of a cone it's a shoulder washer with a flat surface that contacts the wheel.

To use the words of a friend of mine, "good stuff".
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Agree with Rondo.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #16
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Just to update! The tire and wheel fix went just fine. I found exact fit lug nuts at the local dealer. I did put the spare on in place of the lost wheel since one of the lug holes seemed a little too rounded out for my taste. I will replace that wheeel when I replace the tires next year. We made the trip and have returned home with not further incident. Good Sam provided prompt service as always and the was very efficient in getting someone there to help me get the unit off the highway and into the repair site. Thanks all for your information, but I will have to lay the blame on me for not being deligient in checking my wheels. I have been towing for 30 years and knew better, but just had a "senior moment". You all be safe!!!!!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Glad you made it home and all is well! Hope also all is well with that storms all around your area. The DW is from your area of AL(Brooksville area just down the road from Arab). Maybe some day we'll get to meet. Have relatives in that area and Cullman also. Take care!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #18
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
Had the same thing happen to me on April 16th. Made it about 20 miles when the front wheel on the driver side of the 3400RL came flying off. Not fun at mph. Sheared 3 lug bolts off and stripped threads on 2 of the remaining 5. The long and short of it was that it was my fault. I forgot to do a final tighten when I replaced the tire on my own. Fortunately friends were nearby and helped us out.

Lessons learned are this: A wheel will most likely come off if the nuts are not properly tightened. Replace all lug bolts as they may look o.k. but are weakened by the stress of the shimmy just prior to flying off. Buy a torque wrench, I used a cheater bar and every nut tightened when I used the new torque wrench I bought when we got back on the road.

My SIL who's been in the tire business for over 20 years and the mechanic who helped me at the time both recommended this. As we are FT and the rig is our home it was worthwhile expense. Again thanks for friends and the fact that there was no on coming traffic at the time. We were lucky
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
glad no body was hurt by the wheel but where was your spair tire at that you had to chain up the axel or you dont carry one,
Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Art, trailers would not need a differential as they are independent from each other. Yes the added stress of turning causes a lot of torque on the lugs and can cause some loosening of the nuts. As mentioned so many times torquing should be a mandatory pre-trip inspection.
The guy who lost his wheel was probably singing this old popular song, "You took a fine time to leave me loose wheel )."
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote