Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Kipor Oil Change

I have a Kipor 3000ti and it is time for an oil change. I have misplaced my manual. I can call Kipor, but before I do, I was just curious if anyone here who has a Kipor has changed the oil in these things. I see a hole under the metal carriage that has a rubber grommet in it. Any tips on how to do this and what type of 20W oil should I use? My brother-in-law who has a lot of experiencd in machinery, mentioned that I should use a "detergent" 20W. Any help will be appreciated.

I know for a fact that my wife is not going to hold this 132# gen over me while I unscrew any drain plug...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dave:

http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2143415/i/KGE30...ion_Manual.pdf

I think that is the right one, if not, all manuals are on-line at http://ohiokipor.com/user_manuals.

By the way, are you still strongly recommending this generator??? Looks like I will be purchasing something in a couple of months.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Bingo! Yes, I highly recommend this gen. We love it. Just the right size. It has saved our bacon a couple times. Just this summer, our CG lost power. When that happens, your ARE dry camping by default - regardless of what you swore to when you first started pulling your Monty around the country searching out 50 amp FHUs and amenities...

*On Edit ~ Bingo, the manual is not very descriptive as to HOW to change the oil. Remove the dipstick and remove the drain plug is laughably understated. You need a needlenose pliers to reach the dipstick. The drain plug - which I have never been able to find - I see is shown as a clearly seen spot. This is not true. The battery is right square in front of that area (not shown on that drawing). And then they simply say, "Drain the oil". Where??? Right into the bottom of the casing that totally encases the bottom of the gen???

This will be a very difficult task, as I perceive it. Am I way off base on how hard this is going to be???
Old 09-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Dave: You're having way too much grief over a 15 minute oil change. Warm the genset up for a few minutes then turn it off. Twirl the battery wingnuts off ... lift battery out and set on floor in front of genset ... you don't even have to undo the cables. The orange dipstick can be easily accessed now. You'll see a hex head bolt on the bottom of the engine block (10 mm). Pull the rubber plug out of the hole directly beneath the drain plug. Before you've removed the drain plug, make a small funnel out of newspaper and stick in the hole. This will keep the mess to a minimum. Place a pan under the genset and drain the oil. Replace the drain plug and using another small funnel fill the genset back up. When the oil is just about ready to spill over the threads, it's full ... usually a little over 1/2 quart. I dunno where you got straight 20 wt, but my manual advises 10-30 wt automotive oil as in Valvoline 10-30 that I use. Most any automotive oil has the needed detergents in them. If you are planning on using it much below 30 degrees, the manual advises 5-30 wt.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Dieselguy. So this is a simple task? OK, but I assume that a small aluminum foil pan under the Kipor would be sufficient. I see that I will be dealing with .63 qt max.

Thanks for keeping me from freaking out. I can sleep tonight, now...

Thanks for the heads up on the 10-30W. I must have been thinking of my boat...
Old 09-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, another tangent...where do you carry your Kipor? Mine won't sit in my truck bed with its wheels on as it sits too high. Therefore it only goes camping with me when we know the location is boondocking. Thanks,
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave I have the manual for the gen here in the camper and you will be next door to us in a couple of days.... all will be well...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Noneck,
I carry the same generator. I don't have the wheels on so it sits between my hitch and the tailgate pushed to one side. There are some scrapes on the top of the casing to prove that you have to be careful when hitching or unhitching while transporting this way. Since I am pushing the limits on my 2500 GVW I don't carry the generator unless I know I will be boondocking. We did carry it this last trip to/from florida as we spent one night in a Walmart parking lot near Lisa's aunt's in Savannah GA. This did present a bit of a problem as we did not unhitch the monty from the truck. Around midnight the generator ran out of fuel and the clearance between the top of the generator and the bottom of the overhang was too tight to allow me to refuel. Luckily it was a 24 hour Wally World and $3 and a hand siphon later we were back in buisness....

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am assuming that all who are carrying this generator have it near the tailgate because of short beds??? Or is it the weight and not wanting to lift it over the hitch???? I am looking at placing it between the hitch and the truck cab where I can chain (cable) it to the tie-downs in the bed. Am I off-base with this set-up. I think I remember that is where Dsprik carries his, but I may be wrong. Lastly, is everybody who is using this genset pleased with the performance?? Wait, that wasn't last, this is, OhioKipor lists the 3000ti at around $1400, anybody know of a cheaper place to get one. I am leaning very strongly towards this generator. I don't anticipate ever taking it out of the truck, because the truck has only one purpose, towing the ANCHOR (I still like Richfaa's designation of the Monty). Comments????
Bingo
On edit: At least I now know how to change the oil in it if I get one!!! LOL!

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Thanks, I carry mine in a doggy kennel pan, minus the cage, just inside the door of the Monty. Only comes with me when boondocking, not enough clearance to have it sit in the bed of my truck as I keep the wheels on it.
This unit is sweet, very quiet, I purchased over a year ago for $1250.00...guess the price went up, but still cheaper than the Honda and of equal performance. Noted they were being used in Auto racing circuits to supply power to pit crews.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I carry mine in my 2500 Ext long bed right up against the passenger side cab. Sideways with my exhaust pointing toward the driver's side. I leave just enough room along side the bed side for the gen front so I can reach the choke and key and run it right where it is. Has worked great for a year in Walmarts and Cracker Barrels...

Bingo, I think you should be able to do better than $1400. Should still be closer to Noneck's price...
Old 09-15-2007, 12:43 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I carry it on the passenger side rear of the bed right near the tailgate. There are holes in the side of the bed to tie it down. I have the long bed Ford.We did take the wheels off. We can remove the tie downs and drag it out on the tail gate it in short time..easy to fuel and good venting. It is on the truck full time. We are very pleased with the performance and the noise level is very low..can hardly hear it a few steps away. Don't even want to say what we paid for ours as we purchased it as they were just being introduced in the States. We were aware of the gens reputation but most folks had never heard of it. We saw the 3000t1(same as the 3500ti) at a dealer yesterday....sticker 1400.00
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
To keep ours from moving around on the wheels I took a couple of 2x6s and cut them into 8 pieces wide enough to fit between the wheels. I then screwed 4 of them into a square which leaves enough space to fit the wheel axle in between placing them under each axle. Stops the Gen from rolling around the trailer or truck bed. Don't even have to tie it down works great yet still have mobility of the wheel option. Hope this idea helps.

Thanks for the thread it reminds me I need to change my oil in ours.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As per someone on this forum a long time ago, I put the wheels on on end only, leaving the rubber stoppers on the other end. This gives me the mobility of wheels when I need it and also the stability of the rubber feet in the bed of the pickup while traveling.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:10 AM   #15
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Bingo, I bought one from Amazon.com in July and paid $1251.25 including the shipping to my house. I LOVE the generator....
I carry it in the front of the bed (behind cab) of my truck at all times. Comforting to know I have power available NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Kipor Sinemaster KGE3000Ti (AKA KGE3500Ti) 3000W Quiet Inverter Generator for RV - Electric Start
Sold by: Exciting Products (seller profile)
$1,099.00

- 1 item(s) Gift options: None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item(s) Subtotal: $1,099.00
Shipping & Handling: $152.25
-----
Total Before Tax: $1,251.25
-----
Total for this Shipment: $1,251.25
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:15 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good info Trfield58, up $100 more now, but I will definitely check when the time comes to purchase, hopefully on sale this winter???
Bingo

Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 AM   #17
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Thanks for starting this thread. I bought one of these generators in June locally for $1,300. For that price the dealer gave me braces that can be bolted onto the bed of the truck or basement of the 5er. I have not done it yet so can't address the clearance issue. We use to haul it in the back of our SportsTrac and had to remove the wheels in order to secure the tonneau cover.

The information on how to change the oil is a God send. I've been wondering how I was going to do it when needed. FYI, I bought a small oil can...you know the kind with a trigger and gooseneck filler tube...Thats what I intended on using to add oil. Reminded me of what how the Army POL Clerk used to give drivers oil for their vehicles.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
For those interested, Tweety's now carries these generator's at the best price I have found yet with free shipping. Will be ordering after Thanksgiving.
http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?Pag...D&ProdID=15829
Bingo

Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joe-n-Doe

Thanks for starting this thread. I bought one of these generators in June locally for $1,300. For that price the dealer gave me braces that can be bolted onto the bed of the truck or basement of the 5er. I have not done it yet so can't address the clearance issue. We use to haul it in the back of our SportsTrac and had to remove the wheels in order to secure the tonneau cover.

The information on how to change the oil is a God send. I've been wondering how I was going to do it when needed. FYI, I bought a small oil can...you know the kind with a trigger and gooseneck filler tube...Thats what I intended on using to add oil. Reminded me of what how the Army POL Clerk used to give drivers oil for their vehicles.
Joe, I only installed wheels on one end of my Kipor. I can get my tonneau cover over it like that.

The problem I had with changing the oil was not the filling part - actually, I received a nifty smaller plastic filler can with my Kipor - it was the draining part. I could not get my rubber stopper all the way off the hole under the drain plug. Tried to put a makeshift funnel in the hole while the rubber stopper was pushing on it. Might as well just let go. Drained mostly all over the inside of the Kipor shell on the bottom. I did get the fresh oil in, though.

Next time I will cut the rubber stopper completely off the bottom of the Kipor and I will have to search for a smaller funnel. I could also try as suggested earlier to make my own, if possible.

My confidence level of a non-messy oil change next time are about zero, though...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #20
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I bought one of these for our Kipor. I just raise the side opposite the drain plug and unscrew the cap.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1063_200311063
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote