Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I've Relented Need Quartzsite Help

Ed has talked about going to Quartzsite for years. We've been there but not to camp. Several years ago I called several RV parks to make reservations and they all laughed at me so I gave up. But now he wants to go as he has heard everyone talking about boondocking. We have not boondocked in any of our fifth wheels. We use to tent camp though. A generator is on our shopping list but we need to know more. Where is the best place to pull off and camp? What more do we need to think about? We will probably be going after the 19th of January which is my Mother's 88th birthday. Reply here or email me with information. Thanks everyone.
Happy trails..............................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sue and Ed,
I I think you'll love it. Of course it is NOT hookup! First things first. When do you want to arrive on scene? That will make some difference as to where you can park. The earlier the better choice you will have. Basically you can start parking almost right in town on some BLM land. But that does tend to fill up quickly and is dusty or muddy depending. As you head out of town in almost any direction things spread out quickly. It depends on where you want to be and with whom you want to be. There are many many varied interest type groups. I'll even bet there is a group of model train group.

For the last couple of years we have stayed north of town on Plomosa Rd. It is about 6 miles north of town on hwy 95. Far enough but also not too close. Water trucks will come and fill up your holding tank for a fee. They will also take away your waste water for a fee. You never have to move. If you want to hook up and drag into town you can dump your tanks and fill up with water for a little less than if they come out to your site.

The north site that we stay at is not very dusty. Closer into town and some of the eastern sites are very dusty. Also since we get around in motor chairs it is a little easier as many sites are rough riding but at least you can get around on the carts! This is must for me.

You need upgraded batteries, a generator, and or a good solar system. At Q you will see everything. If you can borrow a friends Honda 2000 or 3000 to take with you. Then while you're there LOOK at everything that is there and decide from their what you want to do. You may hate the experience so much that you'll never boondock again. OR you may love it and then you'll at least have a good idea as to what you want and need.

Dave Anderson is a master of boondocking and he plans to be there. A contact from him will add all sorts of wisdom to your situation.

But you NEED to do it at least once in your life. It is a sight to behold.

The early Snow Birds have already started gravitating to the area and it will be highly populated by the 3rd week in Jan. But you will still be able to find a site. There is good cell phone service in the area. Both years I had no trouble using my Verizon card for internet connection. They bring in extra temp. towers for the crowded times.

Go expecting LA type traffic in the downtown area BUT with a very laid back attitude. It's all about relaxing and going with the flow and being mellow. Works for us. Of course once you get away from the downtown it's just easy cruising and good sight seeing.

Of course the flea market and shows that they have there are unbelievable. You must visit some of them. If you're careful you can make some good deals.
Post any additional questions. Go and have fun!

Mary Kay And Dennis and hopefully we'll see you there.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Sue, the RV show is the week of Jan 21st. The Rock show is the following week. You will have a ball. We'll be there for our Escapees fulltiming class of '05 reunion. We already have a couple hundred newby's coming and it is still growing. Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Sue - Here's one of many articles you might find of interest:
http://www.rvtravel.com/quartzsite.html

Of course, the official website is http://www.quartzsitervshow.com/.

Also, I couldn't find details about it online, but last year there was a place close to town along the south access road parallel to I-10 that had white tents providing breakfast, drinking water and maybe some other services for (I think) $5/day.

And don't let the threat of LA traffic HamRad reported turn you off. It's only a mile or three - not 50-60 or more like in most of SoCal!

I'm looking forward to camping with the Escapees Boomers group about 5 miles southeast of town. Not much dust, lots of friendly folks and plenty of activities in addition to the main attractions of the RV and gem/mineral shows in town.

Another tip - get a good propane heater to use instead of the standard furnace. It uses no electricity or battery power, and less propane than the furnace. And it's quiet. I have an Olympian Wave 6 that works great.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:34 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have loved our times at Quartzite. We also park out on Plomosa Rd. There is plenty of space out there. You can park as close as you want to someone or be a loner. We are fortunate enough to have had solar installed so boondocking is no problem for us. However, a Honda 2000i would be a great thing to have with you -- a little costly, but well worth the $$$.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Boon docking does not mean what it once did. boon docking now means free camping like staying over at wall mart.Boon docking means you are not in a paying campground but can have a generator, electric, full tanks of water and all the comforts of home. I was wondering why folks were buying generators so they could boon dock.When we boon docked it meant you had NOTHING.
When we found a place that had a pit head we felt pampered. We could deal with the modern version of boon docking... I've just got to keep up...Quartzite sounds like fun..will add it to our list..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote