Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Padre Island State Park

I looked at their camp ground when I was on a job for Navy in Corpus Cristi a while back. Does anyone have any experience there> Do they really let you dry camp along the island side of the road?

What about RV Parks on NAS Corpus or Kingsville?

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:21 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I have, on a visit to South Padre, seen a number of units parked on the beach boondocking. Not my cup of tea.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:43 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
never been.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We went to S. Padre today. There were some RVs on the beach, but our entry ticket stated "day use only", so I'm not sure that they can stay there overnight. I did not see anyone parked on the side of the road with an RV. There were several campgrounds that could accomodate a Montana. There is a lot of wind and blowing sand, and of course salt air on the island, I don't think I would want to subject my rig to those conditions. We did drive in the truck for a short distance, but it is pretty rough going, with patches of loose sand that I don't think you could pull a Montana through. We had the truck in 4-wheel low as it was. Now, your question was about Padre Island proper, this was on South Padre Island, it may be different there.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Also, note, that at South Padre there are several campgrounds, a couple of them are county parks, and they are totally reserved up already for January and February and most of March of 2006. There is also a private park there, which is pretty pricy, all gravel sites, sites are short in depth, you are parking tow vehicles on the street. They are not all sites that would hold our Montana's but there are some that you can get on. When we were out there, (this week), the pool at this pricy campground was closed, they said that the pool was 'over clorinated', it was a pretty green color, ewwwwwwwwwww.

For the islands, you must reserve early and then it would appear that you are lucky to get a site out there.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
We stayed at the "pricey RV park" in October, and just loved it. Wi-Fi, workout room, pool aerobics classes, and don't miss "Miller Time" at Dirty Al's bait shop, order the shrimp basket.

http://destinationsouthpadre.com
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rex and Mary

Is October considered off season??? How hard was it to get into the park then?? Do they have alot of activities on that nice patio?? I felt bad for all the current residents not being able to use the pool, from the looks of the green seas there, it will be a few more days before it is useable.

When you left there, did you do anything special to offset any possible seasalt contamination?? Wash the rig, spray the slides, etc??

Got to say, the views from some of those campsites were pretty special!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
We did not have reservations, and we were charged the off season price until Nov. 1st when our rate went up. The week we spent at South Padre Island and Destination RV Park is among our favorites. We even found a Packer Bar full of Wisconsin people to enjoy the Packer game !!!
As far as addressing the salt air problems on the camper we traded for a new 2004 Mountaineer 325FKBS in December. We don't plan to leave the state of Nevada with the camper this year, and hope to meet you folks at the Reno Rally. We plan to spend two months at the RV park in Minden in the fall.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rex and Mary

Well, that is a great way to address any possible problems with salt air, just trade er away!

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
In regard to the salt and sand near padre island, there are places like a car wash that wash under the vehicle or trailer. Not your regular car wash.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #11
1putt
Established Member

M.O.C. #971
We just returned home from a week in South Padre at Isla Blanca, a Cameron County Park. Had to change original plans last minute based on lousy weather forecasts in Destin ,FL and were able to get a reservation on short notice. We chose Isla Blanca because the kids wanted to be on the beach. On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 5 (at best). The staff is about as friendly, and knowledgable, as a fencepost. After visiting Destination RV park next door, we wished we were there instead! Didn't see any RV's on the beach except on North Padre Island at Port Aransas where they have a specific 7/10 mile beach for RV's where you can boondock for up to 3 days at a time. Yes, there's plenty of wind blown sand and salt spray...afterall, it's a beach!
1putt is offline   Reply With Quote