Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
pathfinder
Established Member

M.O.C. #10217
Day shade rib slips out of night shade

Twice I was lowering our day and night shades (two hands, pulling slowly, honest) and the top rib of the day shade suddenly slips out about two inches from the bottom of the night shade. We tried pushing and pulling it back in but the end is frayed and is difficult to get it back in place. The shade will go up and down but is crocked. The end cap had come off so we put it back on but when we try and raise or lower the shade the rib pushes the cap off again. Any fixes or would it just be easier to get a new shade. It is by the computer desk in our 2007 3400 RL. We just bought it used and I am thinking that the shade probably got some heavy use. Thanks everyone. Pathfinder

pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Someone posted a repair manual (procedure) on how to fix this. Ours did the same thing on our 07-3400 and we did managed to get it back togeather. Will probably just replace with new ones soon, the one over the couch and in the bedroom have done the same thing.

I think they were not installed properly, or at lease the way I would have done it.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This happened to me too, going up crooked and the end caps getting knocked off. I have since learned that they are installed and adjusted tighter than normal so they do not fall during transport. But I wish the dealers would readjust them to normal before us customers pick up the unit.

I was able to get them back together again. The one where the cord broke I was able to get a replacement kit and fix it. Since then I have readjusted ALL of them so they are not as tight. It was laborious, and time-consuming because I could not get to all the adjustments easily. Now that I mention this I don't think I finished the ones in the bedroom because the bed and some window framing was in the way. But now they go up much easier, and mostly straight, but it took a long time to get them just right.

To adjust them you must be able to get to the spool at the bottom corners of the shade. Then with a square bit screwdriver you loosen the screw just a bit and rotate the spool to loosen or tighten. This can be tricky because some cords may not have any play. It is difficult to describe how much to tighten them but they should only be loose enough so that they do not drop by themselves and NO TIGHTER.

Pathfinder, in your case you might have to take the valance apart to get to the shade and fix it. It can be difficult finding the screws that hold everything in place and allow plenty of time.

I hope this helps.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I used some small screws to hold the end caps on, others have used a dab of glue
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had that happen a few times with those end caps. Sometimes I use a single spot of airplane glue to keep them in place. Other times I've used a small screw. Both work. A single spot of airplane glue does not preclude you from removing the cap should you need to but keeps it from coming off when not desired.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Sometime the string inside goes bad and that also will make the shade go crooked at times. The link below was posted by someone sometime ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/john.cocking/DayniteShades#

1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
WE used little set screws in our 2005 Montana.. The Big Sky doesn't have the same kind. We have not had any trouble with the new ones.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
same here a small Stainless screw a # 2 I believe but I'll check the size to make sure.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
AlanPat
Established Member

M.O.C. #9264
Had the same problem, we are restringing the shade using the instructions off this site. It went really well. We also put a small screw into the end caps throught the medal so that the end cap will not come off.
AlanPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I second the little screws fix. Easy to remove for restringing.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote