Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Propane system leak test

Thinking of having the dealer do a propane leak test after 4 years and lots of bouncing down the road. Cost $50, is it worth it? Have not noticed any leaks or the alarm going off. Thoughts?

Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I always seem to have a leak or two in each camper as time passes. Some are easy to fix and others are not so easy, especially on the road away from all my tools. I've never had a leak test done because my wife can smell a gas leak a mile away. Finding it and fixing it becomes my problem.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Buffpilot,
Why not just use the soap and water spray test? Make up a bottle of soapy water and simply spray it anywhere there is a joint.

Or rely on the nose. I can smell just about any amount of propane so I locate the general area and then we do a soapy water test.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Thanks for the advice, think I will save the $50 bucks and use the nose and soapy water test.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
If you had access to a Manometer a really good test would be to do a leak test through the stove. A Manometer measures inches of water column and is used in the gas industry. Just turn your tanks off first, then pull one of the burners on the stove and put the hose over that orifice and turn the burner on. Then just watch the gauge which is filled with water to see if it drops. If it drops you have a leak, if it holds the system is tight. If it drops then you will have to go find the leak with either soap and water or a gas detector.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
5thWheeler

M.O.C. #10240
Sorry, but the nose and water spray with soap doesn't always tell the entire story. Rather than hiring the dealer, consider buying a gauge which can be less than $50. If the pressure goes down (installed and used correctly) you have a leak somewhere in the line. More extensive checks can be made at that time. Purchasing guage means you can check your system whenever. Of course, adding propane to a cylinder requires a bit of soap and water around those connections which saves a lot of time.
Mike
5thWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
A quick tip I got from my Uncle, who is a master Mr-fixit. I used to use soapy water to test for leaks. Then he turned me on to bubble stuff - that is, the stuff you give the kids to blow bubbles with. It doesn't get all foamy when putting it on and blows bubbles like crazy when there's a leak. I've got a couple small bottles stashed around and just use a Q tip to swab some on a fitting.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
i like the all purpose leak detector better than soap and water. the bubble stuff sounds good.
paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Gregdan24, I took your uncles advise, got the kids bubble stuff and found both inlet lines that come in from the tanks to the directional valve leaking. Thanks for the tip.

John
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
About once a year, I grab a set of tools and walk all around and in the Montana and tighten every bolt, nut and screw I can get to. It's amazing how many work loose.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote