Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Joints

Ha! Thought that "Subject" would make you look. I'm talking about that raised strip of metal/plastic (about 1/2" wide) that appears to cover the area where two pieces of the outer skin of the coach join together. All I can see is a bead of silicon RTV on each side of it. What I want to accomplish is to remove the lower panel just below and to the rear of the driver's side access doors to the storage area. It's nothing but some thin sheet medal but my 2010 3400 now has a dent there where I ran over a flower-pot type of container and put a dent in the beast. Right above what you would call a rocker-panel on a car. My plan is to G E N T L Y bang the dent out. Failing that I've been told that you can re-order that lower panel from Keystone, though probably a local car repair shop would be more cost-effective. Anyway, anybody know how to remove them w/out destroying the works?
Jerry

Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I had to remove some of the vinyl insert molding on the Mountainer. Just remove the screws at each end, and peel it out. Should be a string of screws under the molding that hold the panels on. When through, just reverse the operation. I would be sure to use mildew resistant RTV to reattach that track or whatever it is called. Our has lots of mildew in it.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Perhaps just remove the sheet metal screws from the bottom side where the belly pan is attached and see if you can work it out by gently holding the radiused sheet metal away from the frame. It might save recaulking and such.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
It did make me look! Couldn't decide what kind of "joints" you were taking about!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I thought that's what I'd try first dieselguy - let u know how it works.

Yeah, Bob I made it through the 60's myself.

Jerry
Old 04-08-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
If it happens to us, I will check with a body shop that uses ice to shrink the dent- I have never been sucessful in repairing a dent other than filling the void with fiberglass- I have repaired damage to the fiberglass skin on previous 5ers sucessfully but it is a time consuming process- Good luck and keep us Mocers posted on the results of your endeaver- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Thanks guys. I haven't gotten to that "project" yet after returning from our snowbird jaunt. I'll post when I arrive at some kind of a solution.
Jerry
Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Jerry,
Instead of gently banging the dent out, try rolling it out. You would need to come up with some type of tool to do this but I think it might get the job done neater.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Well, it was a fight but I got most of the ding out. I'm thinking about ordering that bottom piece from Keystone and having it replaced at Goshen. Not much to it - just some thin sheet metal. Boy, when you start pulling the pretty outsides/covers off these beasts you see some really sloppy craftmanship. (or lack of)
Thanks for the posts.
Jerry