Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Utah Highways??

We are making more detailed plans for our trip through Utah next month. There are a couple of routes I have questions about. If you have personal experience with either of these routes, I would greatly appreciate your comments or suggestions. (I have the Mountain Directory, The report there causes me some hesitation.)

> Utah Highway 12 from Bryce Canyon to Capitol Reef.

> Utah Highway 14 from Cedar City to US 89. (I have been over Utah 20 with a Montana and had no problem but 14 seems a bit more difficult.)

If you have any information to share, please post or send a PM, and I will be very grateful.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
David,
We traveled UT Hwy 12 from Capitol Reef to Bryce in May. We had some 14 percent downhill grades. They were not bad even though steep. Now coming from the other direction you will find those 14 percent uphill pulls.
All said and done I would do Hwy 12 either way. There are some nice view spots and pull outs along the way. I would not say it is a bad route. You have probably run into 12 percent grades here in Colorado often.

I can not comment on the Cedar City route.

JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Jolu,

Looks like we may take that route.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre, UT 12 is a beautiful drive. We took it the opposite direction so had to climb that 14 percenter. That's the one I've posted the picture of the 14% sign in other threads. If I recall, that 14 percenter is a bit winding and has a 35 mph speed limit. It's four miles long. So top that hill slowly and use your low gears. We towed it with this 3400RL and our 2005 Ford F250 diesel. I would not hesitate to take that route again. In fact, I hope we can do it again one of these days.

We drove 14 from Cedar City but were not towing at the time. We used 20 when we went from Bryce Canyon to Zion. I am sorry I cannot remember whether 14 would be a towable road or not. I do recall it was beautiful up there. Hopefully, someone who is more familiar with 14 will come along.

That's a wonderful area to visit. Enjoy your trip!

on edit... decided to add the sign picture as you will see it at the top of that hill... for your pleasure.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David and Shirley,
We took the 14 from the hwy 89 side into Cedar City. This was just a couple of years ago. It is an excellent road. A good two lane quality road. There is a lot of building going on along that route. We were towing our Monty. When we got to the top there was a great place to pull over and enjoy the view. I believe the pass is at about 10K feet. It is a scenic route.

Near the top there is a short road that leads to a little known National Monument. Here is a link: Cedar Breaks National Monument

At the stop I checked my brakes on the trailer and they were gone! Actually what had happened was my controller had gone out on me. So here we are the top of a ten thousand foot mountain and have no trailer brakes. So I put it in a low gear and take off. I kept my speed down to between 25 to 35 or so. First it is a fairly windy road so you can't go too fast to begin with and second I just don't want the thing to get going too fast.

About half way down we start to smell the brakes. At about the same time we see a fellow going up the mountain broken down. So we stop and help him. Of course we're in a 'NO SERVIVE' phone area! By the time we get all the fellow's info for a tow truck my brakes have cooled down a little bit. We get into Cedar City and I stop and check the brakes. They are HOT! I have one of the little Radio Shack infrared temp things. My brakes were so hot the temp gauge would not work!

So we get the fellow stranded on the mountain squared away and continue our trip. By the time we got to Saint George all was once again normal. Of course I was worried about my brakes the rest of the trip home. But when my brother checked them they were all just fine. Could not even tell they had been hot. Of course the 450 has 15 inch brakes. I'm sure that helped some. We also installed a new controller and have had no trouble since.

Would I do it again? Yes. It is a nice road and I'd like to see how things have changed.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Dennis and Steve, I am actually feeling more confident about this route. It is good to have reports from personal experience, and good to remain a member of this helpful and friendly community.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This link is for the second half of our 4/30/06 postcard. It includes some pictures from that drive between Hanksville and Bryce Canyon on 12. The first two pictures are inside Capitol Reef NP, so don't let them freak you out. They're not the road you'll be towing on! Start with the 3rd picture.

http://geocities.com/stevereigle/043...onville_p2.htm
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote