Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
Cleaning the outside

Finally got a weekend when I'm not travelling and plan on cleaning the outside of the trailer really well. Bought some Awesome at the dollar store to clean the black streaks and the rubber strips covering screws. I would appreciate any suggestions on cleaning and waxing the outside.

Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As many others we use awesome to clean the caulking, take away the black/Grey streaks and stubborn stains. We have always used a dish washing soap to wash the camper. we have never hand waxed a camper..ever..they are way to big..we do use a liquid car wax/wash like car nu ba..brush it on and hose it off. Works just fine.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Just washed and waxed mine today. Used the RV wash&wax from Wally World "Full Timers Choice" is the "brand". Works well and the SOB really shines. Love that gel-coat! Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Before we had some tree sap issues this summer we had never used Awesome before. It is a great product and will strip the black streaks along with other things off of your Monty. My worry is that when it strips away the stubborn black streaks, and in our case some tree stains, off of the siding of your Montana how much UV protection do you have on you Montana. IMHO if you are planning on keeping your rig for several years and not trading it in then you need to put some type of protection on it. The sun isn't a friend to skin, thus we use sun block so the sun can do harm to unprotected surfaces.

We wash the Monty with Dawn dishwashing soap, and use Protect All roof conditioner and cleaner. For the Sides we clean with Dawn, and use the Awesome on stubborn spots, and then rinse it off. We do wax our entire Montana, expensive investment for us, to protect it as it isn't stored inside out of the elements summer or winter. We wax it with Protect All from CW. We have been pleased with the shine that we have gotten from our work. On SOB we have used Turtle Wax and won't do that again as the body won't take that much work. The Protect All you can spray and wipe, and then come back with a buffer.

We just take the measures that we feel are neccessary to protect our investment. Others may feel that they don't need extra protection because they store their rigs under protection, or have the gelcoat. I probably would be doing the same things even if we had 100 per cent gel coat.

Here is hoping you have happy cleaning. Just be sure that you rinse the Awesome as it is a strong product.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have used Awesome for a lot of different applications with success. As a matter of fact, I keep it around in three or four strengths, 10:1, 5:1, 20:1, 120:1 and, of course, full strength. I use it according to the suggestions on the bottle. The key thing with awesome is to rinse thoroughly. It will deteriorate your sealer around your windows, etc., if you don't.

After washing (with dish soap), I use Meguiar's Quik Wax. It is a spray on wax that is easy to apply and doesn't require much to buff it. I use the same wax on my F350. Tires and rims are done with a spray on-hose off wheel and tire solution I buy at WalMart (can't remember the name) but it works very well on both TV and rig and doesn't seem to leave water spots. It takes about two minutes per wheel.

For spot cleaning the carpet I use Awesome at 20:1 and a small stiff bristle brush (a little larger than a toothbrush) and then blot it up with a microfiber cloth. It has been very successful. Do the same for TV floor mat spots.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I buffed on mothers wax and rubbed it off , then with a 8" buffer i buffed the total unit , now its hard to tell if its got the gel coat finish,, awsome is great but it takes off all the wax have you tried wet dryer sheets yet they don't take off the wax and take all blk and bugs rite off john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
Does the gel coat need to have a special wax or cleaner?
bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We are using the same wax on our gel coat as our filon siding. Our Montana for the most part is filon siding, with the front cap and the rear cap being filon siding.

We would be waxing either or both types of siding as a protection to our investment. If our Montana was stored year round out of the elements I might reconsider our maintenance schedule.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I use Turtle Wax Platinum liquid. It is a synthetic wax. Easy on easy off. Put it on by hand and shine up with a palm buffer, or by hand. Wax will even polish the black trim without leaveing that white film on the black. I even put it on the windows. I tossed all my other wax stuff. Use it on car and truck also.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote