Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
shyattmedic

M.O.C. #5334
342PHT poor quality

Just got off the phone with my dealer, who gave me some very disturbing news.
I have had my 342PHT since March '06, it is one of the 1st ones off the line, so I expected some issues BUT-

the kitchen drawers had no supports in the rear,
the pantry shelves where not supported,
the closet rod was held in by 4 staples and fell,
the fresh water fill and vent lines where 8 inches to long and kinked,
no A/C vents in the living rear,
no side marker on passenger side,
huge stain on sofa skirt,
screws poking thru skirting,
cieling battens falling down,
TV antenna not supported with blocking,
shower glass not caulked,
both A/C's wired to one side of the ac bus,
bed frame wood cracked and falling apart.

The final straw is after 4 visits to fix the main A/C freezing and poping the breaker, the dealer replaced the control panel and it worked fine. It did bring to my attention a huge set of problems when the water was running out of the ceiling behind the A/C.

The dealer checked and found-
The rubber roof material was cut to large around the A/C hole,
The A/C had no bracing around it allowing the A/C to tilt back and destroy the plywood around the hole and the gasket.

I now have to have new plywood to be replaced and a new roof glued down after the supports are put in place.

I can not wait to get it fixed to unload it on something not from Keystone.

I talked to Denny at Keystone in customer relations trying to get my warrenty extended and his words where that none of the problems are major safety or construction faults and the all the work has been covered under my warrenty so there is no need for any additional coverage.

What could be missing under the other parts of the trailer that I can not see!

I'm glad they feel missing supports, and poor assembly work is ok but I don't and will not buy another Keystone product.

shyattmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ouch! I don't blame you for being upset, but I would try and work it out with them.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I dont blame you either, I know I would be very mad and upset. This is really poor QC and it just should not happen! I sure hope they get everything fixed and fixed properly. Please keep us updated!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
"There was a girl with a curl in the middle of her forehead
When she was good, she was very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid."

This little ditty might be applied to RV's, even the best brands.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I read this same post word for word in another website. Sounds to me like someone didn't do a very good PDI when accepting such a piece of junk. I would never have pulled this unit off the dealers lot. Me thinks there is more to the story.
To start with why didn't the dealer catch some of these problems. Seems obvious to the buyer you would have thought the dealer would have stepped up before delivery and fixed some of these problems.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
shyattmedic

M.O.C. #5334
Did you in your PDI count A/C vents or check for all ICC lights(remember new model without anything to compare it to)?
Did you look at how the rod in your closet is attached?
Did you check to see if the drawer supports reached the counter top and where attached to the floor?
Did you pull the A/C off the roof and look at the bracing or the roof material?
Did you pull the electric panel out and run the circuits?
Most of the other problems are behind the finished structures of the trailer and where found after arriving at a campground.
I spent about 3 hours doing my PDI, checked every system and found the problems that where visible like screws and stains but would never have expected to have missing bracing and such.

The best thing is that Beckley's RV sales outside of Frederick, Maryland has been great and have fixed all the problems to a standard better than the new units on the lot.

Finally, I am not a first time buyerand have had family in RV sales(my mother sold Sunline trailers and Winnabago products for 15 years) so I do know what to look for.

shyattmedic is offline   Reply With Quote