Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
MOC Input needed for water filtration

Need some advice from our experienced members who have been there and done that. DW is very particular about water in the rig for drinking and cooking. Particular to the point that I usually carry two to three five gallon jugs of water from home with us. This is quickly getting old, not only the weight but the room they take up in the rig. I mentioned a water filtration unit to her and she seemed receptive to the idea. What I am hoping for is some type of internal system that can be permanently mounted on the water intake (perhaps in the convenience center). I have been looking at the in line systems, but am curious about how effective they are. Is single stage filtration sufficient for drinking water or do I need a better system. Price is not necessarily a big obstacle (within reason) but quality definitely is. All experiences and thoughts are welcomed and appreciated here.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Bingo,

We always had to buy bottle water when we traveled because the bride must have good water for her coffee and etc.
We tried all the in line filters and none worked completely. Year before last I installed the reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink with it's own faucet and that did the trick. As good or better than bottle water and this is the first that made the bride happy.
You can get it at Lowe's in the plumbing dept.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_129808-43353...0051&langId=-1
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would look into a reverse osmosis system, we are 'hooked' on ours. I don't know how this would work for a RV, maybe it wouldn't, but that is the ideal. It is almost sweet water, we love it.
Other than that, a pre-filter and a charcoal filter for sweetness, or, pre-filter,charcoal and post filter.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
We have a Kenetico RO system ($1100) and she(DW) still buys bottled water. I have tried to convince her that bottled water is not that great compared to an RO system. Good luck.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I only use an Omni TO1 for ALL incoming water when camping and the water always tastes pretty good no matter where we camp.

However, I use the same TO1 filter as a whole house filter at home and it feeds 2 undersink Omni CB3 filters in parallel in the kitchen and the water is VERY SWEET tasting.

Here is a link to the OMNI web site but check other places for better pricing like Amazon, etc!

http://www.omni-water-filters.org/
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
i would take a look at the water filter store . They are at a lot of rallies and many Rv'ers use them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've been fine with a single whole house filter from Lowe's/Home Depot. Some prefer two filters and those are available. A recent discussion on MOC has pictures about how to install a system, double or single, right next to the connection center. It might be worth your while to check it out. It was nicely done.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
After having to change the built in filter on our 08 Big Sky for the last 3 years I am glad I have two additional GE brand whole house filters. One I got at Wally and the other at Home Depot. Both were about 25 bucks. The built in unit in the rig is a pain to reach and I had to completely rebuild the mount for it. Plastic mount attached to alum frame and bouncing around. Plastic broke, replaced with 2 inch aluminum angle and now the screw have stripped out of the filter head. We have a softener also. So I put one before the softener and after the softener. We use carbon/sediment elements in all three and I replace them twice a year. The water tastes fine. I used to have an RO system but it used way too much water while boondocking.... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We use an Onmi whole house filter with a carbon element and a Britta filter on the faucet in the kitchen which is used for cooking and drinking water
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We run an RO system from Home Depot. Reasonable cost and we run it into the fresh water tank. We also fill gallon water jugs to keep in the refrigerator. For short term camping I use a sediment filter followed by a charcoal filter... I also use those filters before the Ro system. That way the RO filters last a long time.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #11
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
My approach, after a few travel trailers and a couple of cruising boats is to use two filters. A sediment filter so that no water comes on board either direct to the water system or filling the tank without passing through this filter. A second filter, a carbon one, is under the sink to the cold side. There is a reason for this. I have found over time that most city water sources use chlorine or cloramonia in the water. If you remove that from the water by using a carbon filter at the entry point, the water in your lines or tank will not benefit from the treatment and will soon begin to taste and smell. Using the carbon filter at the faucet, will remove the taste and smell immediately before you use it, thus leaving the lines and tank still protected by the treatment chemicals. Works for me.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #12
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
We use two whole house one with a woven filter and the second charcoal. We have been in CG's that have the rotten egg smell and with external whole house filters no taste or smell, no residue left behind in camper lines or tanks. I wonder with the reverse osmosis system, with the iron in water and its smell are there after affects on that system? With the whole house change of filters with a cost around $20.00. Plus we use Zero water for drinking and cooking water. With the Zero water there is a stick meter to tell me when to change the filter.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:30 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Based on these replies and some additional research, I am leaning towards a five-stage reverse osmosis system with ultraviolet. Still open for suggestions and experiences as well.
Bingo
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do much the same as nosticks. With the help of the water filter store folks we have two "Quality " filters. Sediment filter first followed by a 5 micron carbon filter. We attended a couple of Filter seminars to learn about the different types of filters..One filter does not fit all. Example in Florida the water test good but taste bad. The sedimate filter and the 5 Micron filter of the proper type solves that problem. Here at home in Northern Ohio we use no filters in fact the water out of the tap test as good as spring water and better than bottled water.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Bingo, you might want to find out how much water that five stage RO system uses to produce one gal. of water. Not a big deal if you always have full hook-ups, but boondocking not so good.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I will have to check on that, but at present, all camping has been with full hookups (DW prerequisite). Something about non-stop washer and dryer usage (teenagers) and the availability of the portable dishwasher (lazy teenagers!!) I think I am just looking at an undersink mount for the cold water inlet now since the drinking and cooking water all comes from the kitchen area anyway??
Bingo