Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2019, 05:04 AM   #1
bretandpolly

M.O.C. #19839
Awning

We have an 06 307RKD. Have had the awning fabric replaced once. It’s a manual, 19’ Long. Before we need to replace again, we started to look at electric awnings. Was really thinking about getting one, until we saw one recently, one arm looked like a pretzel. I would really like to have one, but..... Would like some thoughts, pro and con. Thanks!

bretandpolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Awning

All of my past awnings were manual. I used de-flappers on the sides and tied down the front and it could make it thru “normal” windy conditions at the Texas coast no problem. My new electric awning would not survive an hour of beach breezes if it was fully extended.

I rarely put my electric awning out in any kind of windy condition. There is no way to tie it down and the aluminum structure joints move and flex way to much - it can’t take much wind. It is nice in near dead calm conditions. Sometimes I will extend it out maybe 2’ to 3’ out to act as an “eyebrow” and provide a bit of shade for the windows from mid-day sun. I don’t worry about it getting destroyed by a sudden strong wind when it is in this position.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We replaced our original manual awning about 5 years ago with an electric awning with a metal covering when rolled up. It is great! Yes, when we are in places like Santa Fe where wind can come up and cause damage, we always roll it up when we leave--just push a button. The metal cover is critical for the material to survive the sun damage.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:18 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We like the electric version better. Never liked tying down the manual ones. No big deal to push a button at lights out, or when the wind picks up. Have had on the past two Montana units, never have had a problem.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have both. I have the electric on my HC and the manual on my MH. I much prefer the manual one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had both and we prefer the electric one for the convenience. We had a awning installed over our large slide a couple of years ago and it is manual due to the cost
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:01 AM   #7
bretandpolly

M.O.C. #19839
Thanks for all the comments. Sorry for delay in replying. By what I’m gathering, and I’ve talked with several others on this subject, I’m thinking it comes down to personal preference. Thanks again
bretandpolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I tie mine down all the time. After extending it pull down on the slides and tighten the black hand nut. Then use a strap with the grounding spring attached to the ground. I use a 20lb nail with a large washer on it.

I also have a shad screen on the awning that I bungee cord to the ground.

If a big wind we’re to come up or I am leaving I simply in hook the straps, remove the bungees and fool the screen up with the awning.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote