Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
Refrigerator stopped working on 120 V - on the road and looking for help

The wife and I are at Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City, SD on a 3 month journey. Heading for the Rally in Goshen next week. Woke up this morning and the refrigerator temp was up to 54 F. We've been at the Base's RV Campground for 3 days and the Refer's been operating on 120V at 34F with no problems. I checked the power: the receptacle into which the Refer plugs is good at 120V.
I unplugged the refer from the 120V source and it switched to LP. The temp started dropping so the LP system seems to be OK. The refer is a Dometic Model RM1350SLMX, MFG No 958625499. I called Dometic and they advised that I take it to an RV Tech for troubleshooting. They also said I could check the 5 amp circuit breaker on the refer control panel: I did, it's good.

So... I'm hoping someone has some ideas on what the problem could be and troubleshooting advice? Our current plan is to operate on LP until we get to the Rally and then seek help from the experts in attendance. Worst case - if the Refer quits altogether before we get to the Rally: we'll put the cold stuff in ice chests and turn the Refer OFF.

I'm thinking troubleshooting and diagnosing the issue would make for a good tech session at the Rally(?)

Thanks in advance to all for your help & advice!

Steve

SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Either the control board has an issue or the 120vac heater has failed. If you have an ohmeter, you can unplug the heater and take a reading. If the heater is open, it is a no brainer, but it may have just degraded so that it's not recognizable by the control board. They aren't fun to replace given the tight area it fits in on the heater tower assembly.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
On our Norcold, the electric still works, but upon advise from Paul Unmack with ARPrv, we have been running our fridge on gas alone for almost two years and have had no issues. He said gas heating the boiler in these fridges is more gentle on the steel tubing than is electric, which heats up almost instantly, where gas brings the steel up to temperature more slowly which is less likely to stress the steel and cause cracks. Don't know how really critical this is, but these fridges don't use that much gas, and if it helps lengthen the life of the cooling units, why not.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
Smile

Thank you jcurtis934 and rohrmann!

Rohrmann: you live in Box Elder? right outside the gate at Ellsworth? what a coincidence...
Old 09-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I had the same thing happen on the way to the New York rally several years ago. Electric heating element went bad. Called https://rvcoolingunit.com/ContactUs.aspx They shipped one to the campground we were staying at in New York. As jcurtis934 said it can be difficult to change but I had replaced the cooling unit on mine several years before so was very familiar with the process. About a 30 minute job for me. I would purchase or order one so you have it available in the event the propane side quits working. As long as it keeps working wait until you get home to work on it. Working on VT goes against my nature, however owning an RV sometimes necessitates it.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandTerri View Post
Thank you jcurtis934 and rohrmann!

Rohrmann: you live in Box Elder? right outside the gate at Ellsworth? what a coincidence...
Actually, we have a tiny box at Americas Mailbox that we call home, as we are full timers. We really do like the area, and want to spend more time there. Just other things are getting in the way right now.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
Either the control board has an issue or the 120vac heater has failed. If you have an ohmeter, you can unplug the heater and take a reading. If the heater is open, it is a no brainer, but it may have just degraded so that it's not recognizable by the control board. They aren't fun to replace given the tight area it fits in on the heater tower assembly.
Update: checked the heater: 38 ohms so it seems to be OK. We'll keep operating on LP until we get to the Rally. I suspect the control board is bad...

When I talked to Dometic, Sharon (customer service) said they'd give me a new control board even though the refrigerator is 2 weeks outside its 2-year warranty. However, I mentioned that I'm not the original owner of the rig and she said sorry - the warranty only applies to the original owner. I didn't argue with her but I don't understand why they would decline to honor the warranty regardless of who owns it.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
So... to clarify ... Dometic won't give me a replacement control board. I'll have to buy one.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Update: checked the heater: 38 ohms so it seems to be OK. We'll keep operating on LP until we get to the Rally. I suspect the control board is bad...

When I talked to Dometic, Sharon (customer service) said they'd give me a new control board even though the refrigerator is 2 weeks outside its 2-year warranty. However, I mentioned that I'm not the original owner of the rig and she said sorry - the warranty only applies to the original owner. I didn't argue with her but I don't understand why they would decline to honor the warranty regardless of who owns it.

Sorry about your problems, hopefully you get them fixed. Regarding the warranty, the same applies to your 10 year roof membrane it is also gone, and your floor, and several other items. I suspect they save millions in repairs, as there are many many short term RV owners. And many more that trade every couple years.
The RV industry is where they train future used car salesmen. LOL

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:

When conducting business deals I act like a defendant in court. Offer nothing, only answer what is ask!
Old 09-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
This might help in the future

After 4 yrs in our 08 Big Sky I got into the Good Sam extended service plan. For us it cost 35 bucks a month. With a 200.00 deductible we have had the Norcold 1210 cooling unit replaced, the water heater replace, and even a portable ice machine replaced. As the last claims rep told me,"if it isn't welded to the rig we cover it". All service was done by a mobile RV service. It was also very pain free and they also cover my 15 GMC Denali 3500 diesel pickup. 3 months ago the Onstar module took a dump and that puppy cost 800+ with labor.. One call and the dealer said bring it in.. Highly recommended..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote